Diamonds are Forever (James Bond) by Ian…

Diamonds are Forever (James Bond) (original 1956; edition 2012)

by Ian Fleming

Member:Shoosty
Title:Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
Authors:Ian Fleming
Info:Thomas & Mercer (2012), Paperback, 245 pages
Rating:***

Diamonds are Forever by Ian Fleming (1956)

Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier (Sylak)
    Sylak: Another story involving a complex central character worth a good read.

English (36)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (41)
Another excellent Bond novel. His American friend seemed a bit out of place, but it WAS nice to see James relying on and trusting another wholeheartedly. Another layer of humanity for the ubermensch alpha male. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 21, 2015 |
I am so sick of the whole James Bond phenomenon.
  clarkland | Jan 19, 2015 |
More a gangster caper than Bond's usual espionage work, but still a good read. Nice appearance by Felix Leiter, looking more like a Bond-villain's henchman from one of the films than one of Bond's most trusted allies.

I wonder whether 'Spectreville' has any significance for the later stories? ( )
  Michael.Rimmer | Jan 2, 2015 |
Although he is normally a spy, Bond is sent undercover smuggling diamonds from Africa for American gangsters. Much of the book takes place in the western US. ( )
  antiquary | Dec 30, 2014 |
Rating: 3.5* of five

Again a reminder that these reviews are for the movies by these titles, NOT Fleming's books. I wasn't at all drawn to the book I read, and I've since sampled a few others, and to me they're repellently dated.

So this 1971 outing is based on the 1956 novel, and marks the last *canonical* film Connery made. Never Say Never Again wasn't a Broccoli-produced film, and made use of a story not ever precisely made into a novel, so...

Jill St. John spends a good deal of time scantily clothed. This mildly annoyed me as she tended to drape herself over pieces of furniture I wanted to look at, and her mammary hypertrophy blocked my view of Connery once in a while.

The plot is of a ridiculousness expected from a Bond film; Bond drives a 1970 Mustang, possibly the lowest styling point that Mustang has ever hit; Charles Gray (the Criminologist from Rocky Horror Picture Show) eats up the scenery as Blofeld, the ongoing villain/nemesis; so, you know, what's expected of a Bond film viewing experience.

Shirley Bassey sings the second most-boring theme song (after Adele's dreary "Skyfall") in the canon. It amused me, mildly, and the inclusion of two gay killers was pretty hotsy-totsy stuff for 1971. So, well, it was Bond so it was better than boring; but it lacked something, so I can't give it a good rating. Just not enough SOMEthing. ( )
  richardderus | Dec 11, 2013 |
To J.F.C.B. and E.L.C. and to the memory of W.W., Jr. at Saratoga, 1954 and '55
With its two fighting claws held forward like a wrestler's arms the big pandinus scorpion emerged with a dry rustle from the finger-sized hole under the rock.

James Bond surveyed the glittering diamonds that lay scattered across the leather surface of M's desk and wondered what it was all about.

The quiet grey eyes were watching him thoughtfully.

Then M took the pipe out of his mouth and drily gave Bond details of the assignment of which even M was afraid. And Bond walked out of the Headquarters of the Secret Service into his greatest adventure.

supersonic John Buchan - Listener

the best thriller of the season - Birmingham Post
Double Oh Seven
fights American gangsters
who smuggle diamonds.
(yoyogod)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142002054, Paperback)

"Listen, Bond," said Tiffany Case. "It’d take more than Crabmeat Ravigotte to get me into bed with a man. In any event, since it’s your check, I’m going to have caviar, and what the English call “cutlets”, and some pink champagne. I don’t often date a good-looking Englishman and the dinner’s going to live up to the occasion."

Meet Tiffany Case, a cold, gorgeous, devil-may-care blonde; the kind of girl you could get into a lot of trouble with—if you wanted. She stands between James Bond and the leaders of a diamond-smuggling ring that stretches from Africa via London to the States. Bond uses her to infiltrate this gang, but once in America the hunter becomes the hunted. Bond is in real danger until help comes from an unlikely quarter, the ice-maiden herself …

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:18 -0400)

Sean Connery returns as Agent 007 and teams up with the beautiful Tiffany Case to prevent his nemesis Blofeld from using a fortune in stolen diamonds in a deadly laser satellite.

Legacy Library: Ian Fleming

Ian Fleming has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ian Fleming's legacy profile.

See Ian Fleming's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,031,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible