Diamonds are Forever (James Bond) by Ian…

Diamonds are Forever (James Bond) (original 1956; edition 2012)

by Ian Fleming

Member:Shoosty
Title:Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
Authors:Ian Fleming
Info:Thomas & Mercer (2012), Paperback, 245 pages
Rating:***

Diamonds are Forever by Ian Fleming (1956)

Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier (Sylak)
    Sylak: Another story involving a complex central character worth a good read.

English (33)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (38)
Rating: 3.5* of five

Again a reminder that these reviews are for the movies by these titles, NOT Fleming's books. I wasn't at all drawn to the book I read, and I've since sampled a few others, and to me they're repellently dated.

So this 1971 outing is based on the 1956 novel, and marks the last *canonical* film Connery made. Never Say Never Again wasn't a Broccoli-produced film, and made use of a story not ever precisely made into a novel, so...

Jill St. John spends a good deal of time scantily clothed. This mildly annoyed me as she tended to drape herself over pieces of furniture I wanted to look at, and her mammary hypertrophy blocked my view of Connery once in a while.

The plot is of a ridiculousness expected from a Bond film; Bond drives a 1970 Mustang, possibly the lowest styling point that Mustang has ever hit; Charles Gray (the Criminologist from Rocky Horror Picture Show) eats up the scenery as Blofeld, the ongoing villain/nemesis; so, you know, what's expected of a Bond film viewing experience.

Shirley Bassey sings the second most-boring theme song (after Adele's dreary "Skyfall") in the canon. It amused me, mildly, and the inclusion of two gay killers was pretty hotsy-totsy stuff for 1971. So, well, it was Bond so it was better than boring; but it lacked something, so I can't give it a good rating. Just not enough SOMEthing. ( )
  richardderus | Dec 11, 2013 |
Kind of a nondescript entry in the series. Bond vs. smugglers with a lot of help from Felix Leiter and Tiffany Case. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
This is my 4th Bond book this year (working on reading all of them). I've read reviews that call Fleming a sexist and a racist. I have to disagree on both counts. Racial issues are not really relevant in this story, but there is a "Bond girl" in every story. Fleming spend a fair amount of time describing these women. They are strong, beautiful and independent and Bond has feelings for each of them. They are very different from the women in the movies.

That said, I enjoyed this book as much as the first 3. The action is tense and the descriptions are spot on. ( )
1 vote LizaJane38 | Oct 30, 2013 |
This 4th entry in the James Bond series is still a good thriller but suffers in places from its age (originally published in 1956). For example, Bond smuggles a gun into the US by just wearing it in an underarm holster when he flies over from England - back then there was no such thing as airport security or metal detectors. His attitude about organized crime in America is also a product of the 50s and was a more serious irritant to this modern reader.

However, Bond as a character continues to be more interesting and more human than he was in the movies. And who knew that he was actually falling in love with all those girls?! ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 2, 2013 |
There are a couple patterns that Ian Fleming has followed in each of these books I have read so far. Bond gets caught. Bond escapes. Bond falls in love. Bond again repeats his unbelief of marriage, which seems antithetical to the British values he wants to uphold. Perhaps we like him because we know he is good, but he envisions himself to be quite evil. A tormented hero. Maybe. But surely it's the way that Bond acts in the face of adversity that makes the series so good. Bond is ever civilized, ever a gentleman, ever cool, but he can be quite calculative, quite without ethics if he needs to be.

The climaxes in each of these books aren't too gripping, but these books, so far, are enjoyable and full of cultured English hard-boiled writing and dialogue, if there is such a thing. Enough good in these books to keep reading on, that's for sure. ( )
1 vote TJWilson | Apr 20, 2013 |
To J.F.C.B. and E.L.C. and to the memory of W.W., Jr. at Saratoga, 1954 and 1955
With its two fighting claws held forward like a wrestler's arms the big pandinus scorpion emerged with a dry rustle from the finger-sized hole under the rock.

James Bond surveyed the glittering diamonds that lay scattered across the leather surface of M's desk and wondered what it was all about.

The quiet grey eyes were watching him thoughtfully.

Then M took the pipe out of his mouth and drily gave Bond details of the assignment of which even M was afraid. And Bond walked out of the Headquarters of the Secret Service into his greatest adventure.

supersonic John Buchan - Listener

the best thriller of the season - Birmingham Post
Double Oh Seven
fights American gangsters
who smuggle diamonds.
(yoyogod)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142002054, Paperback)

"Listen, Bond," said Tiffany Case. "It’d take more than Crabmeat Ravigotte to get me into bed with a man. In any event, since it’s your check, I’m going to have caviar, and what the English call “cutlets”, and some pink champagne. I don’t often date a good-looking Englishman and the dinner’s going to live up to the occasion."

Meet Tiffany Case, a cold, gorgeous, devil-may-care blonde; the kind of girl you could get into a lot of trouble with—if you wanted. She stands between James Bond and the leaders of a diamond-smuggling ring that stretches from Africa via London to the States. Bond uses her to infiltrate this gang, but once in America the hunter becomes the hunted. Bond is in real danger until help comes from an unlikely quarter, the ice-maiden herself …

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:23 -0400)

Sean Connery returns as Agent 007 and teams up with the beautiful Tiffany Case to prevent his nemesis Blofeld from using a fortune in stolen diamonds in a deadly laser satellite.

Legacy Library: Ian Fleming

Ian Fleming has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ian Fleming's legacy profile.

See Ian Fleming's author page.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,796,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible