Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana by Anne…

Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana

by Anne Rice

Recently added bysdagger, hayost, susanaberth, private library, JHalbert, St-Timothy-Lutheran, jenucht, andyhazno

Sequel to Out of Egypt. This book takes Jesus Christ from young manhood to when he realized fully who he was and what he was supposed to do. I enjoyed both of these books as much for the education as for the writing style and the audio narration. Listened to both on audio. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
Anne Rice has a writing style that appeals to me. Her writing sweeps me up and carries me along, her personalities are well thought out, deep, multi-layered, flawed and fascinating, even if not entirely human. The "Christ the Lord" books, "Out of Egypt" and "Road to Cana" were no exceptions. I'm glad she broke out of the vampire and witches mold that she was stuck in and flipped the coin to explore the most mythical man of them all - Jesus Christ.

In "The Road to Cana" Jesus longs for Avigail, a beautiful young girl he knows he cannot have. He realizes that he is not like other men and he tires of the needling he receives from brothers, cousins and friends. Why, they wonder, isn't he like other men? Why hasn't he married and settled down? He's well past the age for it.

Through a series of misconceptions that we would find unbelievable by today's standards -- yet still go on in the world today -- Avigail is shunned by her father and her fate lies in Jesus's hands. Through his actions to save her he sets in motion the days that will reveal his destiny.

This is a book of moving self discovery written in Rice's rich language. It leaves me wanting more. Lestat who? ( )
  ccrown | Mar 30, 2011 |
i liked this book a lot, but not as much as her first one. but there are still some really shining moments in this one. she's best when she tells stories that come either from her imagination or from outside of the canon. the stuff that comes from the canon tends to not be all that spectacular (or at least that's my feeling. but still a really good book. ( )
  shannonkearns | Jan 8, 2011 |
I'm a huge Anne Rice fan and simply must read any new book she publishes. This series however couldn't be further from the Vampire Chronicles or the Mayfair Witch stories.

Rice has meticulously researched the life of Christ, and this is the second in her series bringing to life Yeshua Bar Joseph. I found her first book in the series 'Christ the Lord Out of Egypt' difficult to get into, as it was quite heavy going. However I thoroughly enjoyed the second installation in the series, and the story is really picking up pace now. I was still a little overwhelmed by all the family members, and how they were all related, but persisted through it all!

I'm really looking forward to the next book, although it will probably be another 12 months in the making. It's also difficult to know if this will be the last in the series.

I probably wouldn't recommend this book to Anne Rice fans, as it's nothing like her other works. However if you enjoy historical fiction and have an interest in religion then this is a great book. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Nov 29, 2010 |
This book was in similar style to Christ the Lord by Anne Rice. It was a good book, though the story seemed to have been altered a bit, of course it is fiction so no shock I suppose. It was an enjoyable read even if not very exciting. I wish that the scenes at the river would have been expanded on a bit more, as well as his visit with satan. Those were two of the more interesting parts and I thought they should have been a little more detailed. ( )
  Silversi | Nov 2, 2010 |
Who is Christ the Lord?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067697807X, Hardcover)

The Road to Cana, Anne Rice’s second book in her hugely ambitious life of Christ, begins before his baptism in the Jordan and concludes with the miracle at Cana. It is a novel in which we see Jesus, the man, living quietly in Nazareth as he has for many years. He is still known as Yeshua Bar Joseph. And he is enduring a winter of no rain, endless dust and looming trouble in Judea.

Legends of a virgin birth have long surrounded Yeshua, yet for decades he has lived no differently than the others who come to the synagogue on the Sabbath. All who know and love him find themselves waiting for some sign of the path he will eventually take.

And at last we see this quiet man emerge from his baptism to confront his destiny–and the Devil. We see what occurs when he takes the water of seven great limestone jars and transforms it into cool red wine; when he is recognized as the anointed one; when he is urged to call all Israel to take up arms against Rome and follow him as the prophets have foretold.

Like Out of Egypt, the first novel in Anne Rice’s series on the life of Christ, The Road to Cana is based on the gospels and on the most respected New Testament scholarship. The book’s power comes from the profound feeling its author brings to the writing and the subtlety with which she summons up the presence of Jesus.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:20 -0400)

Anne Rice's second book in her hugely ambitious and courageous life of Christ begins during his last winter before his baptism in the Jordan and concludes with the miracle at Cana.--From publisher description.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,078,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible