The Complete Guide to Digital Photography by…

The Complete Guide to Digital Photography

by Michael Freeman

Not what I expected. It just gave ways to EDIT your photos in Photoshop instead of ways to improve HOW you take the photo. It wasn't what I expected. ( )
  bookscantgetenough | May 5, 2019 |
As I've mentioned before, photography is one of my life long hobbies. It's an art form I picked up from my grandmother, who long before I knew her, had her own dark room. The technology of recording photographs has evolved through a variety of different media, now to digital. A combination of digital bringing down the price of technology and being an adult with access to more money has finally given me the chance to explore some of the types of photography I've wanted to do since childhood.

But it's only been two years since I've seriously started to pursue digital photography as an art form more so than a I hobby and I still feel like a newbie. So I've been reading up on the subject when I can, mostly through my local public library.

A recent book that caught my eye was The Complete Guide to Digital Photography (2nd edition) by Michael Freeman. It's sort of an encyclopedia of all things digital photography (for better or worse). For someone starting out from scratch with a camera, looking to buy some equipment and software, it's a good start. For someone who has already started and has learned a thing or two, the book is more hit or miss.

For my needs and background, I found the first third of the book, namely, the discussion on different types of digital cameras and their pros and cons, the most useful. Before reading the book, I had already settled on a 3/4 micro digital camera. Freeman's book covers the development of this camera type and the technologic compromises made to make it affordable, lightweight but still capable of using different lenses.

The final third which covers post production wasn't my cup of tea, mostly because I have more experience with the post production side of photography than the I do with the fancy equipment side of the equation. Also, I've recently moved away from doing a lot of the Photoshop specific stuff, preferring instead to try to get closer to what I want at the camera end. ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 18, 2014 |
Everything you need to know about digital photography.
  hgcslibrary | Nov 29, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 157990534X, Paperback)

"If crossing the chasm from film to the digital realm has been difficult for you-this book will help."--PhotoSource International

"Beginners and professional photographers alike will benefit from the sound advice. A useful resource while taking the leap to digital."--Photo Industry Review

It's the bestselling, most complete digital guide available--and now it's thoroughly updated to reflect the state of the art. Featuring the latest operating systems and software versions, plus a new section on traveling with your gear, this fully illustrated, total approach to digital will lead you into an exciting new world of image making. An essential round-up of available cameras, computers, scanners, software, and printers--including current online printing services such as photobox and fotango, and the Epson 2000 series of archive printers--offers a plethora of technical possibilities. Detailed text and more than 300 color photographs show exactly how to take and make great portraits, landscapes, action shots, and more. Take advantage of the heightened ability to enhance images; change backgrounds or colors; add reflections; and create artistic effects with collaging, filters, and lighting techniques. Includes easy-to-follow projects for making calendars, business cards, websites, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:05 -0400)

This comprehensive guide to digital photography provides expert guidelines for choosing suitable equipment (cameras, PCs, monitors, scanners and printers), and essential techniques and professional tips for digital camerawork.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,553,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible