A man by Oriana Fallaci

A man (original 1979; edition 1980)

by Oriana Fallaci

Member:xtien
Title:A man
Authors:Oriana Fallaci
Info:Pocket (1980), Paperback

A Man by Oriana Fallaci (1979)

English (6)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  All languages (10)
"It is a dense book that leaves you no space to breathe really, it takes you and forcibly places you in the midst of a maddening situation of a hero bent on self-destruction."
read more: http://likeiamfeasting.blogspot.gr/2014/02/a-man-oriana-fallaci.html ( )
  mongoosenamedt | Feb 23, 2014 |
A gift from a French penpal, the first "brutal" book I read (in my 20's). With Portugal itself coming out of an almost 50-years dictatorship in 1974, I could easily relate to the protagonist's struggle against fascist Greece. But the torture passages are too graphic and you have to be in the mood. A powerful book. And my first contact with the sounds of the Greek language (through the numerous Greek untranslated transcriptions) - so much so that one phrase remained in my mind: "s'agapo tora ke ta s'agapo pentote" - something like "I love you now and forever". ( )
  Miguelnunonave | Aug 6, 2013 |
I'll underscore the sentiment to not let Fallaci's later writings about Islam dissuade you from reading this work. Fallaci was a terror to powerful dictatorial forces in both her life and her writing. A MAN is a masterpiece of political fiction and I want to underscore that word: political. A combination of biography, autobiography, and fiction (and the boundaries aren't clear) this screed rips her soul open and exposes itself to the reader. It's a political story, and she writes with political intent and does so with a unique ferocity. One of the other reviewers says that they received a copy from her during student strikes in Poland (I am jealous) and that it changed their life. Me too. My daughter is named after Oriana Fallaci. ( )
1 vote fugitive | Jun 5, 2009 |
I am currently reading the semi-autobiographical novel A Man by Oriana Fallaci, which chronicles her relationship with Alexandros Panagoulis, a Greek poet/anti-fascist fighter/politician who attempted to assassinate the Greek military dictator Papadopoulos in the late 1960's and spent years being tortured in prison before being releasted in the 1970's. After his release he had a love affair with Fallaci and was, according to her, assassinated in 1976.

The first half of the book describes his ill-fated attempt at blowing up Papadopoulos' motorcade and the arrest, torture, and prison that followed. At every step Panagoulis refused to talk or back down, even in the face of intense and ongoing torture. In desperate conditions he tried to attack those who imprisoned him, going on an endless series of hunger strikes, escape attempts, and more subtle forms of psychological warfare. Just the accounts of him cutting himself to use his own blood to write poetry or do differential calculus when his pens and paper were confiscated make Panagoulis an astonishing figure of individual heroism. His struggle in prison is inspiring on a human level. One can almost forget about his nationalism, his pathological militantism and self-sacrifice...

In the final years of her life Fallaci turned to writing racist polemics against Muslims and immigrants. Reading A Man, this late turn towards a neo-fascist "defense of western civilization against the barbarian hordes" position is not totally surprising, but I wouldn't let Fallaci's late work dissuade you from reading this novel.

I'll end this with a poem by Panagoulis, written in 1971 while in prison:

My Address

A match as a pen
Blood on the floor as ink
The forgotten gauze cover as paper
But what should I write?
I might just manage my address
This ink is strange; it clots
I write you from a prison
in Greece ( )
1 vote inaudible | Mar 2, 2009 |
L'histoire d'un activiste grec, sous le régime des colonels grecs, que Oriana Fallaci ne pouvait qu'aimer
  briconcella | Mar 8, 2007 |

Oriana Fallaciprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weaver, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The bestseller'translated and sold in nineteen countries'that brought Oriana Fallaci world success Published for the first time in 1979 by Rizzoli, A Man it is a real-life, passionate novel, which tells the story of Alekos Panagulis, hero of the Greek Resistance and partner of Oriana. On May 1, 1976, Alexandros Panagulis, known as Alekos, the lonely hero of the Greek riot against tyranny and power, dies tragically in a suspicious car crash. For his funeral, millions of people crowd the streets of Athens screaming "Zi, zi, zi! Live, live, live". This is the opening scene of A Man'and the final scene in the life of Alekos and of his love story with Oriana. The narration goes back some years, and the reader relives the breakdown of Alekos's relationship with Oriana, starting with his attempt to kill the tyrant Papadopulos and his consequent arrest. Balancing romance and reportage, Fallaci reports on Alekos's personal fight against tyranny and his desperate attempt to escape his inevitable arrest. Alekos became a real hero for the Greek population and the government couldn't kill him without generating suspicion from the public. The government built him a prison called "Boiati," where he survived tremendous torture, hunger strikes, and terrible sanitary conditions. After his release, Fallaci met and interviewed him. They fell in love and lived years of love, obsession, and madness, all recounted in this extraordinary book. The story is about their strong and deep love, intertwined with the struggle of this Greek tragedy's hero, who desperately looked for freedom and who, in the end, was just a man.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,506,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible