How to Grow More Vegetables (and Fruits,…

How to Grow More Vegetables (and Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other… (original 1974; edition 2002)

by John Jeavons

Member:jgbell
Title:How to Grow More Vegetables (and Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops): Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less
Authors:John Jeavons
Info:TEN SPEED PRESS (2002), Edition: 6, Paperback, 240 pages

How to Grow More Vegetables and Fruits (and Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops) Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine by John Jeavons (1974)

One of my go-to garden books. Lots of information on how to improve soil, protect plants, companion planting, how get a great yield, and much more. The biointensive method fits well with the principles of Permaculture. This book is in the top few gardening books I would keep if I had to get rid of all the rest. ( )
  milotooberry | Dec 2, 2013 |
This should have been right up my street: sustainable, organic gardening being something I'm pretty passionate about. But it was a disappointing read: simultaneously didactic and uninformative. I found it repetitive in places and with the exception of the section on plants to repel certain bugs, was left feeling that I had learnt very little. There were numerous mentions of other booklets published by the Ecology Action group which were rather irritating: if it's important enough to keep referring to, why not just put the booklet's text into the book? The fact that they'd turned the GROW BIOINTENSIVE process into a capitalised brandname was annoying, too. It's not what organic gardening should about, in my opinion. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Mar 31, 2013 |
I have no question that "How to Grow More Vegetables" is a great resource for an experienced gardener. For a beginner like me, it was a little overwhelming... and a little too technical for my taste. I did like the spacing charts and the simple mini-garden plans. Don't get me wrong, I learned a lot from reading the book, but I think a good portion of it was just over my head. ( )
  amerynth | Jun 5, 2011 |
Because his other book referred to this one so much, I have to read it now.
  Dirtdigger | Aug 13, 2009 |
A great reference, full of helpful information and planting charts. ( )
  cristyn | Dec 19, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0898157676, Paperback)

Now in its fifth edition and printed in seven different languages, Jeavon's book is considered a classic in the field (literally) and has brought about a kind of green revolution in food production around the world. This book is based on Alan Chadwick's biointensive gardening techniques. It will show you how to raise enough fresh, healthy, organic vegetables for a family of four on a parcel of land as small as 800 square feet! Nothing could be more fundamental to the needs of an increasingly crowded world than food. Jeavons and the group he heads, Ecology Action, are making a quiet but earth-shaking revolution in how people raise nutritious food.

If you have a small, flat rooftop, access to a bit of open space between your house and your neighbor's, or any small patch of land, here's the ultimate how-to manual for making the most of it to raise your own food, including ways to enhance soil fertility and productivity, non-chemical pest controls, where and when to plant what in your climate or location, the tools you'll need, and the problem-solving skills essential to success. This "ground-breaking" book is used by gardeners around the globe and is as hopeful, inspiring, and motivating a gardening book as has ever been written. --Mark Hetts

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:00 -0400)

Presents the basic principles of biointensive gardening with tips on what to grow, preparing growing beds, and planning and planting crops.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,141,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible