Live And Let Die by Ian Fleming

Live And Let Die (1954)

by Ian Fleming

Series: James Bond (2)

English (48)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (52)
For some reason the movie, Jacques-Yves Cousteau's deep water documentary, and high altitude sickness in Breckrindge Colorado are linked in my childhood memories. I am glad that I got to read the original Bond story that the 1973 movie was based on. Just like my fevered memories, this book will engage you on a high adventure.
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
I am loving the grittier tone throughout the story. One chapter gave me such a bad case of the heebie-jeebies that I had to take a short break. If curious, I recommend as you are reading particular sections, you Google some of the animals mentioned (clam worm was one critter whose picture I found on Google).

This book is much different than its 1970's movie counterpart. I do not recall any cheesy one-liners in the book, but I can assure you there is plenty of enjoyable action, the characters all have their own slang and dialect, and there are enough SAT power words to keep the average person referring to an English dictionary.

Overall, I liked how James Bond was portrayed as a human being. The movies up until the Daniel Craig-era always seem to place him on a higher pedestal, an indestructible super spy. Simply put, I was pleasantly surprised. ( )
  preston.whit | Nov 30, 2014 |

preston.whit | Nov 30, 2014 |
Rating: 3.5* of five

**THIS REVIEW IS OF THE FILM** (The novel doesn't resemble the film too terribly much, being a very Cold-Warry Russkis versus Good Guys in the Caribbean; deeply uninteresting to a 1970s audience)

It's the 1973 first outing by Simon Templar...I mean Roger Moore!...that I review here.

Holy pimpmobile! I'd forgotten this was the blaxploitation Bond flick. Appallingly racist. Horrifyingly insultingly so. And may I just say, "INTRODUCING JANE SEYMOUR" is the most chilling phrase I've ever in all my life seen on a movie screen?

Introducing. Jane. Seymour. As in, "not seen on the big screen before?" She was in some other stuff...but nothing as big as Bond. And the horrible thing is that Jane Seymour's character is only able to tell the future as a tarot reader while she's a virgin. Does that clue you in on what Bond's gonna do?

But all that comes after Bond's first African-American love interest. He sleeps with her while in a pale-blue loser suit. With a white belt. Wearing a wife-beater under it. Oh gawd, the seventies.

Then Bond condescends to pop Jane's cherry and takes away he rpowers, which the sexist sociopath clearly doesn't believe in; things go further and further downhill as Geoffrey Holder does a horrifying turn as a voodoo priest in the most ridiculous half-white makeup...well.

So of course Bond solves the identity puzzle, rescues now-slutty Jane from her life of luxury, and brings down the (black, of course) drug dealer. Then Geoffrey Holder laughs his unique laugh as we head for the credits.

Wow. Forty years really makes a lot of difference in how things look. I never liked Simon Templar...I mean Roger Moore!...as Bond. From the get-go, I found him too TV for the role of the big screen's biggest baddest spy. What was charming and roguish in other performances was slippery and oleaginous in Moore's performances. But I had no memory of how revoltingly racist this film was. I shudder to say it, but I was probably blind to it because it was...ulp...the way I saw the lily-white privileged Republican world I lived in.

*gaaak*

Well, that's enough of that. The dumbest car chase ever put on film takes place in an alternate New York where there are only Chevrolet Caprices, Chevrolet Impalas, and Cadillac Eldorados on the roads. Except one elderly Ford truck, which the lone Chevrolet Biscayne in New York, carrying Bond, hits head-on and somehow Bond isn't even scratched despite not wearing a seat belt. Yeah! Now that's the Bond we all love!

And the title tune. Oh my goodness, the title tune. It's one of the indelible memories of 1973, along with the Rayburn Committee hearings and the Energy Crisis. Pretty good tune. But earwormy as all hell! Once in your mind, it ain't a-comin' out easy.

"Enjoy." ( )
1 vote richardderus | Jun 28, 2014 |

Fleming, Ianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bonetti, NorahTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Follett, KenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayes, LyndonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There are moments of great luxury in the life of a secret agent.
'Don't go stirring up trouble for us. This case isn't ripe yet. Until it is, our policy is "live and let live".'
Bond looked quizzically at Captain Dexter.
'In my job,' he said, 'when I come up against a man like this one, I have another motto. It's "live and let die".'
This work is by Ian Fleming.  Patrick Nobles is the editor of some editions.

Meet JAMES BOND,

Britain's key secret service agent against the dreaded Soviet murder organization SMERSH...Bond lives dangerously - he expects to be killed; he's no stranger to torture.

Meet MR BIG,

a huge American negro - master criminal, head of a Voodoo cult, high in the SMERSH guild of terror.

Meet SOLITAIRE

Mr Big's Inquisitor, an exotic Creole beauty with the power to read a man's mind.

Racing from a night-club in New York's Harlem to the shark-infested waters of the West Indies this power-packed James Bond adventure will set your nerves a-tingle!

Speed...tremendous zest...communicated excitement. Brrh!...how wincingly well Mr Fleming writes - SUNDAY TIMES
Double Oh Seven
takes on a black criminal
with Voodoo powers.
(yoyogod)

British secret agent James Bond has never met an adversary like Mr. Big, a gangland kingpin who uses voodoo to control his vast criminal empire. When a crooked trail of smuggled gold leads through Mr. Big's New York hideout to SMERSH headquarters in Moscow, Bond's mission takes him from Harlem to the Florida Everglades.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ian Fleming

Ian Fleming has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ian Fleming's legacy profile.

See Ian Fleming's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,329,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible