Live And Let Die by Ian Fleming

Live And Let Die (1954)

by Ian Fleming

Series: James Bond (2)

2,097543,146 ()76

English (50)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (54)
This has a solid narration performance by actor Rory Kinnear (who has played M's Chief of Staff Bill Tanner in the recent Daniel Craig as Bond films) in this 2nd of the 2014 audiobooks edition of the original Ian Fleming novels. A different narrator appears in each of this Celebrity Performances edition.

"Live and Let Die" from 1954 was the 2nd of the books and more than "Casino Royale" set the template for all of the books and the movies to come. That includes a larger the life villain (in this case, gangster Mr. Big) various creepy henchmen (such as "The Whisper" and "The Robber" here). the villain's hideaway lair (an island and a boat here) and of course a diabolical villainous scheme (gold coin smuggling to undermine the USA in this case).

The audiobook includes a 4 minute interview with Rory Kinnear. ( )
  alanteder | Jan 6, 2015 |
Although many might consider the descriptions of 1950s Afro-American culture racist, I still find the picture of Harlem and voodoo vivid and exciting --especially G.G. Sumatra's dance. Bond's attempt o eliminate Mr. Big, who claims to be the zombie of Baron Samedi, has an interesting occult edge even though the claim is presumably untrue. The psychic Solitaire's powers are apparently supposed to be genuine, and she is one of the more charming Bond heroines. ( )
  antiquary | Jan 3, 2015 |
For some reason the movie, Jacques-Yves Cousteau's deep water documentary, and high altitude sickness in Breckrindge Colorado are linked in my childhood memories. I am glad that I got to read the original Bond story that the 1973 movie was based on. Just like my fevered memories, this book will engage you on a high adventure.
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
I am loving the grittier tone throughout the story. One chapter gave me such a bad case of the heebie-jeebies that I had to take a short break. If curious, I recommend as you are reading particular sections, you Google some of the animals mentioned (clam worm was one critter whose picture I found on Google).

This book is much different than its 1970's movie counterpart. I do not recall any cheesy one-liners in the book, but I can assure you there is plenty of enjoyable action, the characters all have their own slang and dialect, and there are enough SAT power words to keep the average person referring to an English dictionary.

Overall, I liked how James Bond was portrayed as a human being. The movies up until the Daniel Craig-era always seem to place him on a higher pedestal, an indestructible super spy. Simply put, I was pleasantly surprised. ( )
  preston.whit | Nov 30, 2014 |

Fleming, Ianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bonetti, NorahTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Follett, KenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayes, LyndonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There are moments of great luxury in the life of a secret agent.
'Don't go stirring up trouble for us. This case isn't ripe yet. Until it is, our policy is "live and let live".'
Bond looked quizzically at Captain Dexter.
'In my job,' he said, 'when I come up against a man like this one, I have another motto. It's "live and let die".'
This work is by Ian Fleming.  Patrick Nobles is the editor of some editions.

Meet JAMES BOND,

Britain's key secret service agent against the dreaded Soviet murder organization SMERSH...Bond lives dangerously - he expects to be killed; he's no stranger to torture.

Meet MR BIG,

a huge American negro - master criminal, head of a Voodoo cult, high in the SMERSH guild of terror.

Meet SOLITAIRE

Mr Big's Inquisitor, an exotic Creole beauty with the power to read a man's mind.

Racing from a night-club in New York's Harlem to the shark-infested waters of the West Indies this power-packed James Bond adventure will set your nerves a-tingle!

Speed...tremendous zest...communicated excitement. Brrh!...how wincingly well Mr Fleming writes - SUNDAY TIMES
Double Oh Seven
takes on a black criminal
with Voodoo powers.
(yoyogod)

British secret agent James Bond has never met an adversary like Mr. Big, a gangland kingpin who uses voodoo to control his vast criminal empire. When a crooked trail of smuggled gold leads through Mr. Big's New York hideout to SMERSH headquarters in Moscow, Bond's mission takes him from Harlem to the Florida Everglades.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ian Fleming

Ian Fleming has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ian Fleming's legacy profile.

See Ian Fleming's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,686,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible