Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi

Zoe's Tale (original 2008; edition 2011)

by John Scalzi, Vincent Chong (Illustrator)

Member:rgruberexcel
Title:Zoe's Tale
Authors:John Scalzi
Other authors:Vincent Chong (Illustrator)
Info:Subterranean (2011), Edition: Signed, Limited Edition, Hardcover, 264 pages
Tags:grade 8, science fiction, series, space travel

Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi (2008)

Matter by Iain M. Banks (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: In many many ways these are VERY different books, but in Zoe's quest to find a weapon/tool/solution to keep her colony from being wiped out, and her interaction with the Consu, I kept flashing to searches and wars among the various peoples and levels of the shell world in Matter.… (more)
    Jumping Off The Planet by David Gerrold (goodiegoodie)
    Child of Earth (The Sea of Grass Trilogy) by David Gerrold (goodiegoodie)

An enjoyable read told from the perspective of a teenage girl. Great world building. Potentially I should have read some of the earlier Old Man's War books first. ( )
  kale.dyer | Mar 10, 2016 |
Teen who is our heroine trying to save the day and her planet. Improbable but fun tail of galactic politics. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I'm a fan of Scalzi's novels set in the "Old Man's War" universe. This book is a parallax novel, concurrently exploring stories told in "The Last Colony".

I enjoyed the sense of a larger tale being 'fleshed out'; enjoyed Zoe's voice. Having read the other books it's hard for me to judge whether it can stand on its own or if its important to read the previous books... especially if it's for a young adult audience...

VladVerano | Oct 20, 2015 |

I liked this entry to the series. Old Man's War is not very hardcore Sci-Fi (compared to Banks et al) but still enjoyable. Making the POV character a teenager fits the depth of the series better.

This book was a quick read, but en entertaining and at times downright funny one. ( )
  StigE | Sep 15, 2015 |
This is the 4th book in the series which is a companion piece to the previous one The Last Colony. It's the same story but told from a different character's POV. That character is obviously Zoe, teen-aged adopted daughter of John Perry and Jane Sagan. Not planning on writing another book in the series the author was inundated with requests to fill in the blanks of TLC and to provide more info on Zoe so decided to kill two birds with one stone and so here we are. With the narrator being a teenage girl this has much more of a YA feel than previous entries. It's a fast paced story but it's not without some real pathos in places. It had been a while since I'd read TLC and think this might have been a good thing as I'd forgotten a lot of what was coming next in this tale and so could get caught up in it again. If' I'd read this book in isolation I probably would increase the rating by a ½★ but overall it's still a re-hash of a story I've already read even if it's still a good one. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Jul 29, 2015 |
I wondered if it was very realistic to have a heroine that young be so clever and observant while spouting off with Scalzi's trademark sarcasm. Some readers might think that a brilliant and resourceful young Messiah of an alien race who Saves the Day with blatant Deus ex Machina has it a bit too easy. But Zoë's Tale isn't really about the clash of mighty empires or rescuing loved ones from monsters, exciting as those parts are — it's about Zoë. It's about that time in our lives after we've come to grips with how the world sees us but we are still not sure how we see ourselves. It's not about what you are, but finding out who you are. This whip-smart, often funny, and deeply moving novel portrays that journey of self-discovery to the satisfaction of adults young or otherwise.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Chris Hsiang (Mar 24, 2009)

John Scalziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

For Karen Meisner and Anne KG Murphy. And most especially for Athena.
Karen Meisner
Anne KG Murphy
Athena Scalzi
I lifted up my dad's PDA and counted off the seconds with the two thousand other people in the room.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356198, Mass Market Paperback)

How do you tell your part in the biggest tale in history?

I ask because it's what I have to do. I'm Zoe Boutin Perry: A colonist stranded on a deadly pioneer world. Holy icon to a race of aliens. A player (and a pawn) in a interstellar chess match to save humanity, or to see it fall. Witness to history. Friend. Daughter. Human. Seventeen years old.

Everyone on Earth knows the tale I am part of. But you don't know my tale: How I did what I did — how I did what I had to do — not just to stay alive but to keep you alive, too. All of you. I'm going to tell it to you now, the only way I know how: not straight but true, the whole thing, to try to make you feel what I felt: the joy and terror and uncertainty, panic and wonder, despair and hope. Everything that happened, bringing us to Earth, and Earth out of its captivity. All through my eyes.

It's a story you know. But you don't know it all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:45 -0400)

Zo?e Boutin-Perry travels to the fledgling colony world of Roanoke with her adoptive parents, John Perry and Jane Sagan, who have accepted positions as administrators. When her biological father develops the technology to give the Obin consciousness and self-awareness, she suddenly becomes the center of a critical but endangered treaty between the Obin and the Colonial Union.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible