The Queen's Bastard (The…

The Queen's Bastard (The Inheritors' Cycle, Book 1) (original 2008; edition 2008)

by C.E. Murphy

Member:Katie.Loughlin
Title:The Queen's Bastard (The Inheritors' Cycle, Book 1)
Authors:C.E. Murphy
Info:Del Rey (2008), Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Renaissance Europe, historical, historical fiction, historical fantasy, fantasy, magic, court politics, alternative history, alternate history, The Inheritors' Cycle, The Inheritors' Cycle series, Inheritors' Cycle, Inheritors' Cycle series, series, series fiction, fiction, C.E. Murphy, CE Murphy, Murphy

The Queen's Bastard by C. E. Murphy (2008)

Recently added byprivate library, dafinker, dm13, Nemerith, Eisler

I wanted to like this, but a hundred pages in I'm just bored.
  jen.e.moore | Jun 20, 2014 |
ARC,Amazon received,headless woman,headless woman cover
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Started but not finished. I simply couldn't understand why the girl was so willing to kill for these people--starting at age 12! So the queen is her mother. So what? It's not like they had ever met; where does the fierce loyalty come from? I'm sure the story probably went somewhere interesting, I just couldn't get into the world. I put the book down as soon as the main character got belted across the face for looking at a man the wrong way. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
This book had me torn. Sometimes I absolutely HATED this book and the next I couldn't put it down. It was definitely a love-hate relationship. The main character Belinda Primrose confused me. I would feel so bad for her because her entire life she has been trained to be an assassin but she dreams about what it would be like to be normal and find love. Then she would do something so nasty and I would just be disgusted with her character. I had a tough time keeping everything straight with the different kingdoms and who ruled them and who fathered what child. So like I said, very torn about this book. I have decided that I most likely won't read the next book in this series anytime soon. ( )
2 vote Kelsey_O | Mar 20, 2011 |

C. E. Murphyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mollica,GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wirth, MaryDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Queen's Bastard is for the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers.
She wears sheepskin against the wind that shrieks around the cathedral walls.

In a world where religion has ripped apart the old order, Belinda Primrose is the queen's secret weapon. The unacknowledged daughter of Lorraine, the first queen to sit on the Aulunian throne, Belinda has been trained as a spy since the age of twelve by her father, Lorraine's lover and spymaster.
Cunning and alluring, fluent in languages and able to take on any persona, Belinda can infiltrate the glittering courts of Echon, where her mother's enemies conspire. She can seduce at will and kill if she must. But Belinda's spying takes a new twist when her witchlight appears.
Now Belinda's powers are unlike anything Lorraine could have imagined. They can turn an obedient daughter into a rival who understands that anything can be hers, including the wickedly sensual Javier, whose throne Lorraine both covers and fears. But Javier is also witchbreed, a man whose ability rivals Belinda's own...and can be just as dangerous.
Amid court intrigue and magic, loyalty and love can lead to more daring passions, as Belinda discovers that power is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

“Wow. C. E. Murphy is good. Court intrigue in an alternate Elizabethan-era fantasy world: realpolitik with the sex included.”
–Kate Elliott, author of Crown of Stars

In a world where religion has ripped apart the old order, Belinda Primrose is the queen’s secret weapon. The unacknowledged daughter of Lorraine, the first queen to sit on the Aulunian throne, Belinda has been trained as a spy since the age of twelve by her father, Lorraine’s lover and spymaster.

Cunning and alluring, fluent in languages and able to take on any persona, Belinda can infiltrate the glittering courts of Echon where her mother’s enemies conspire. She can seduce at will and kill if she must. But Belinda’s spying takes a new twist when her witchlight appears.

Now Belinda’s powers are unlike anything Lorraine could have imagined. They can turn an obedient daughter into a rival who understands that anything can be hers, including the wickedly sensual Javier, whose throne Lorraine both covets and fears. But Javier is also witchbreed, a man whose ability rivals Belinda’s own . . . and can be just as dangerous.

“C. E. Murphy vividly reimagines Renaissance Europe as a world both familiar and strange. Filled with intrigue and betrayal, her story is a chess game with six of seven sides, and I look forward to seeing what the next moves are.”
–Marie Brennan, author of Warrior and Witch

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:36 -0400)

Hard-pressed by enemies all around her, Lorraine defends her right to sit on the Aulunian throne by enlisting her most valuable weapon, Belinda, the daughter she has never acknowledged and who has been trained since childhood as an assassin, but as Belinda infiltrates the inner circles of her mother's enemies, she discovers her own secret magical powers.… (more)

C. E. Murphy is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,155,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible