Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent…

Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef (edition 2012)

by Gabrielle Hamilton

Member:hohosmurf
Title:Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef
Authors:Gabrielle Hamilton
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2012), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned, To Read First, To read
Rating:***
Tags:Science nature

Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton

Blue Plate Special: An Autobiography of My Appetites by Kate Christensen (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Food memoirs that both start out with the authors' relationships to their mothers and childhood family mealtimes.
    Anything That Moves: Renegade Chefs, Fearless Eaters, and the Making of a New American Food Culture by Dana Goodyear (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Under the Tuscan sun by Frances Mayes (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Under the Tuscan Sun is a dreamier book, gentler and more idealistic than the rough-and-tumble and sometimes drug-soaked Blood, Bones & Butter, but both authors adore Italy and are lavish at showing their love on the pages.
    Little Heathens by Mildred Armstrong Kalish (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Right, so the story Blood, Bones & Butter took a hard left turn to big city living after childhood but the writing style was as honest and uncompromising and as full of food as Little Heathens.
    Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain (MyriadBooks)
    Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler (VenusofUrbino)
    VenusofUrbino: Hamilton's Prune is basically the same thing as Ezra's Homesick Restaurant.

A beautiful and searingly honest memoir about a life very fully lived. Hamilton does not appear to be a particularly nice person, but nice is not the be all and end all. She is certainly not one who looks to build bridges, and while I definitely would not want to be her partner (in love or business) her uncompromising approach to all things makes for a great narrator with a sharp and compelling point of view. And the way she writes about food, and about Italy, is as gorgeous and evocative as any writer I can name. I struggled between a 4 and a 5 star on this one, and erred on the 4 star side because I would have liked a bit more discussion of food, and of Prune, and perhaps a little less discussion of her husband's faults, but overall a very worthy memoir. ( )
  Narshkite | Jun 2, 2015 |
A memoir which explores hunger and the context which makes eating a pleasure. A beautifully written and intricate story of one woman's love affair with food and family. ( )
  Juva | Mar 28, 2015 |
Fascinating. ( )
  revliz | Jan 13, 2015 |
I am surprised by how much I enjoyed this one because by the end I really couldn't stand the author. ( )
  kwbridge | Sep 6, 2014 |
This began wonderfully, but at some point long before the middle, I just gave up. It can't compete for storytelling with Kitchen Confidential, or Ruth Reichl's wonderful Tender at the Bone. Where was the editor? Hamilton's memoir could have been trimmed by a third, and focused more tightly on the actual preparation of food, not to mention other people in her life, including her parents, who seem more interesting than Hamilton herself. I just didn't care about her inner dilemmas or by now well-worn punk outlook as much as she thought I should, ultimately. Too bad. Being an "industry" vet, I wanted to like it better. ( )
  CSRodgers | May 28, 2014 |
Though Ms. Hamilton’s brilliantly written new memoir, “Blood, Bones & Butter,” is rhapsodic about food — in every variety, from the humble egg-on-a-roll sandwich served by Greek delis in New York to more esoteric things like “fried zucchini agrodolce with fresh mint and hot chili flakes” — the book is hardly just for foodies. Ms. Hamilton, who has an M.F.A. in fiction writing from the University of Michigan, is as evocative writing about people and places as she is at writing about cooking, and her memoir does as dazzling a job of summoning her lost childhood as Mary Karr’s “Liars’ Club” and Andre Aciman’s “Out of Egypt” did with theirs.

This book is dedicated to all of my families--the one I come from, the one I married into, the one I am making with my own children, and the one I cook with every day at the restaurant. You are my blood, my bones, and, for sure, my sweet butter.
We threw a party.

The chef of New York's East Village Prune restaurant presents an unflinching account of her search for meaning and purpose in the food-central rural New Jersey home of her youth, marked by a first chicken kill, an international backpacking tour and the opening of a first restaurant.… (more)

482 wanted3 pay5 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,911,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible