Blood, bones & butter : the inadvertent…

Blood, bones & butter : the inadvertent education of a reluctant chef (edition 2011)

by Gabrielle Hamilton

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Blood, bones & butter : the inadvertent education of a reluctant chef
Authors:Gabrielle Hamilton (Author)
Info:London : Chatto & Windus, 2011.
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:non-fiction, biography, chef, cooking, library, read, 2012, pp

Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton

Blue Plate Special: An Autobiography of My Appetites by Kate Christensen (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Food memoirs that both start out with the authors' relationships to their mothers and childhood family mealtimes.
    Anything That Moves: Renegade Chefs, Fearless Eaters, and the Making of a New American Food Culture by Dana Goodyear (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Under the Tuscan Sun: At Home in Italy by Frances Mayes (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Under the Tuscan Sun is a dreamier book, gentler and more idealistic than the rough-and-tumble and sometimes drug-soaked Blood, Bones & Butter, but both authors adore Italy and are lavish at showing their love on the pages.
    Little Heathens by Mildred Armstrong Kalish (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Right, so the story Blood, Bones & Butter took a hard left turn to big city living after childhood but the writing style was as honest and uncompromising and as full of food as Little Heathens.
    Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain (MyriadBooks)
    Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler (VenusofUrbino)
    VenusofUrbino: Hamilton's Prune is basically the same thing as Ezra's Homesick Restaurant.

How did this drivel get published at all let alone as a memoir?!?! Unless this book was published under "The Million Little Pieces" definition of memoir- (Sorry James Frey- I love you man but your shenanigans have forever ruined memoirs for me)- where you have a good idea for a story, produce a complete work of fiction and then decide to market it as a memoir. I only got ten pages into the book and was like GIVE ME A BREAK- could Hamilton's childhood have been any more picture perfect? The adjectives! The babbling brooks! The glitter! And she contradicts herself when she speaks about the glorious party her parents hosted for "more than a hundred people" and two pages later specifically says the party was for more than two hundred - so which is it or does this tall tale literally get bigger with each page? So disappointed - I was on the hold list for this book from the library forever and anticipated really enjoying this book. So when the class action suit gets settled for this book (like it did for Frey's) because there is no way this book is anything but a big old load of bulls*&t, do you think I can get reimbursed for the gas I wasted driving to the library to pick this book up? ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
Note: I tried this one as an audiobook.

I got most of the way through this one before just petering out. It wasn't even a conscious decision on my part to give up on it. I was listening to the audiobook every day, then I decided to listen to some music instead, and I never went back. I wasn't a fan of Hamilton's style, and while it was interesting for a little while, learning about French cooking just wasn't for me. ( )
  shulera1 | Jun 7, 2016 |
Ilyana Kadushin
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Easily the best restaurant memoir I've read yet.

Gabrielle had an odd upbringing with a casual artistic father and a French ex-ballerina for a mother. They raised their large brood in a farmhouse far from any city, raising and making most of their food. After the divorce, Gabrielle was left largely on her own, and she quickly turned to cooking and waiting tables to make ends meet. She developed a serious coke habit in the 80s (surprise!) but since she was only 17 when she hit rock-bottom, she managed to get her life together and eventually not only completed college, but got an MFA. By her early thirties, she opened her own restaurant in NYC (Prune), green-card-married an Italian doctor (the set-up of yet another Harlequin romance novel), and had sons.

Fantastic, earthy writing, and descriptions of food that felt like her real reflections, not shoe-horned in because readers expect them. She rhapsodizes on everything from egg sandwiches from a street cart to handrolling pasta with her in-laws, and it all feels equally important. I felt a little uncomfortable by her descriptions of her relationship with her husband (it's clearly a complicated marriage), but I was absolutely fascinated by her experiences, the way she talks about them, and the personality driving it all. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I have heard/read great things about this book, and have been wanting to read it for a while. It is a fun combination of the "inside the food industry" genre and "Eat Pray Love."

The only issue I had with it is the same issue that others have expressed about books like "Under the Tuscan Sun." I don't disbelieve Gabrielle Hamilton's record of the difficulties and unhappiness that Gabrielle Hamilton has experienced in her life, but there was an underlying feeling within me of "Boy, when I have tough times in my life, there are no picturesque trips to Italy to make things better..." ( )
  magerber | Feb 22, 2016 |
Though Ms. Hamilton’s brilliantly written new memoir, “Blood, Bones & Butter,” is rhapsodic about food — in every variety, from the humble egg-on-a-roll sandwich served by Greek delis in New York to more esoteric things like “fried zucchini agrodolce with fresh mint and hot chili flakes” — the book is hardly just for foodies. Ms. Hamilton, who has an M.F.A. in fiction writing from the University of Michigan, is as evocative writing about people and places as she is at writing about cooking, and her memoir does as dazzling a job of summoning her lost childhood as Mary Karr’s “Liars’ Club” and Andre Aciman’s “Out of Egypt” did with theirs.

This book is dedicated to all of my families--the one I come from, the one I married into, the one I am making with my own children, and the one I cook with every day at the restaurant. You are my blood, my bones, and, for sure, my sweet butter.
We threw a party.

The chef of New York's East Village Prune restaurant presents an unflinching account of her search for meaning and purpose in the food-central rural New Jersey home of her youth, marked by a first chicken kill, an international backpacking tour and the opening of a first restaurant.… (more)

346 wanted3 pay6 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,467,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible