Blood, bones & butter : the inadvertent…

Blood, bones & butter : the inadvertent education of a reluctant chef (edition 2011)

by Gabrielle Hamilton (Author)

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Blood, bones & butter : the inadvertent education of a reluctant chef
Authors:Gabrielle Hamilton (Author)
Info:
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:non-fiction, biography, chef, cooking, library, read, 2012, pp

Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton

Blue Plate Special: An Autobiography of My Appetites by Kate Christensen (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Food memoirs that both start out with the authors' relationships to their mothers and childhood family mealtimes.
    Under the Tuscan sun by Frances Mayes (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Under the Tuscan Sun is a dreamier book, gentler and more idealistic than the rough-and-tumble and sometimes drug-soaked Blood, Bones & Butter, but both authors adore Italy and are lavish at showing their love on the pages.
    Little Heathens by Mildred Armstrong Kalish (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Right, so the story Blood, Bones & Butter took a hard left turn to big city living after childhood but the writing style was as honest and uncompromising and as full of food as Little Heathens.
    Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain (MyriadBooks)
    Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler (VenusofUrbino)
    VenusofUrbino: Hamilton's Prune is basically the same thing as Ezra's Homesick Restaurant.

I am surprised by how much I enjoyed this one because by the end I really couldn't stand the author. ( )
  kwbridge | Sep 6, 2014 |
This began wonderfully, but at some point long before the middle, I just gave up. It can't compete for storytelling with Kitchen Confidential, or Ruth Reichl's wonderful Tender at the Bone. Where was the editor? Hamilton's memoir could have been trimmed by a third, and focused more tightly on the actual preparation of food, not to mention other people in her life, including her parents, who seem more interesting than Hamilton herself. I just didn't care about her inner dilemmas or by now well-worn punk outlook as much as she thought I should, ultimately. Too bad. Being an "industry" vet, I wanted to like it better. ( )
  CSRodgers | May 28, 2014 |
A foodie book not just for foodies, Gabrielle Hamilton nails her memoir. Simply nails it. Her unconventional childhood, her subsequent untethered adolescence via divorce, her backpacking young adulthood, and hard labors in kitchens throughout New York City, Michigan, and back to NYC to open her own restaurant, finally circling back to an unconventional marriage and motherhood makes this memoir absolutely riveting. Her honest, raw, funny, and painful memories are always told with a sharp knife - there are no dull edges here - leaving us to wonder about our own paths taken and not taken. She is extraordinarily interesting, whether writing about her 20 year estrangement from her mother or writing about eggplants. I hope this isn't her last foray into writing: she's just too damn good. And when in NYC, procure a seat at her famed restaurant Prune in the East Village. Her passion for food and for conveying experiences into her honest, pure, and "salt-of-the-earth" menu are an experience not to be missed, I'm sure. ( )
  Mad.River.Librarian | Apr 23, 2014 |
Hamilton is the chef-owner Prune, one of New York City’s most celebrated restaurants. In this memoir, she describes her rough-and-tumble beginnings in the food industry and in life. She has a refreshingly off-beat perspective on love, family and the pursuit of pleasure. All of these things, along with her non-traditional career path, coalesce in her approach to food and eating. Be forewarned, Hamilton was no angel in her early years. ( )
  samanthadeirdre | Sep 5, 2013 |
This was a very readable, well written food memoir. Gabrielle Hamilton has very strong opinions and I found her perspective to be quite entertaining and right on. For the first half of the book, I was completely smitten with every word and I didn't want it to end. But by the second half, she sort of veers off in a different direction, and the narrative weakens a bit, I thought. Still a great read, though. Refreshingly unsentimental. ( )
  KristySP | Apr 21, 2013 |
Though Ms. Hamilton’s brilliantly written new memoir, “Blood, Bones & Butter,” is rhapsodic about food — in every variety, from the humble egg-on-a-roll sandwich served by Greek delis in New York to more esoteric things like “fried zucchini agrodolce with fresh mint and hot chili flakes” — the book is hardly just for foodies. Ms. Hamilton, who has an M.F.A. in fiction writing from the University of Michigan, is as evocative writing about people and places as she is at writing about cooking, and her memoir does as dazzling a job of summoning her lost childhood as Mary Karr’s “Liars’ Club” and Andre Aciman’s “Out of Egypt” did with theirs.

This book is dedicated to all of my families--the one I come from, the one I married into, the one I am making with my own children, and the one I cook with every day at the restaurant. You are my blood, my bones, and, for sure, my sweet butter.
We threw a party.

The chef of New York's East Village Prune restaurant presents an unflinching account of her search for meaning and purpose in the food-central rural New Jersey home of her youth, marked by a first chicken kill, an international backpacking tour and the opening of a first restaurant.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,417,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible