How to Make a Journal of Your Life by Daniel…

How to Make a Journal of Your Life

by Daniel Price

Recently added bymaheswaranm, teeney, RobertJF, JCBest, simonb

English (4)  Dutch (1)  All languages (5)
A quirky introduction to journal making. Lots of creative ideas with a section on photography, how to make your own journal from scratch and encouraging you to look closer at the world around you. This can be the mundane like the cars around you to the street lamps through to nature and the small bugs crawling through the leaves. He encourages you to get out into the world, stop watching it go by you and stop and participate in it instead.

Small but invaluable tool. Aimed at beginners rather than those who have been making and creating journals for years. ( )
  Rhinoa | May 3, 2010 |
Nice little book, literal it measures 4 3/4 by 6 1/4. Little in size but, packed with some really good advice. The book is written by Dan Price and published by Ten Speed Press.

Price starts with 3 points about why to write a Journal; "1. My thoughts, deeds, and doings are who I am trying to be, and each one is a gift that does warrant recording. 2. If I grow tired of self-examination, all I need do is lift my eyes and behold the beauty of our glorious world. 3. Writing down my own thoughts will be the easiest thing in the world to do because I'll be expressing my own innermost feelings and only I know what those are." These three points are delivered in the believable "folk" style with which the the book is printed. Each page looks likes a hand written pages from a journal. As a matter of fact the last 20 pages are excerpts page from Price's journal. After a couple introductory chapters about why to journal Price get down to busy with chapters on how to write, sketch, photograph and collect items for a journal. Price's style clearly says "Hey you can do this!"

The Price's ideas maybe obvious for some people, which is fine. I think the bigger point of the book is that even if you can't write the perfect sentence, sketch a photo realistic scene or take a great picture you can produce a wonderful journal. The bigger problem with the book is that it is out of date. Price recommends bulk loading film. I doubt that any bulk loaded film could ever compete with the 400+ pictures I get with a 1GB SD card. (I am actual surprised you can still buy film, but not Koda-chrome.) But, these changes in the photography industry really don't affect Price's advise for photography, so it doesn't hurt the book at all.

This book would be a huge help to any teenager assigned a journaling project, or about to backpack across Europe.

On the down side, my book sort a fell apart, the binding came unglued. But Price's own advice in the book is "Every problem is a opportunity for learning new things". So I think I'll use the pages on making your own blank book and re-bind the book myself. There not a down side to the book at all. ( )
1 vote misericordia | Jul 28, 2009 |
This is a short guide that provides an introduction to journaling. The author shows that there are a few different things you can do with a journal and are not limited to writing down angst-ridden memoirs. Honestly, the ideas in here are not ground breaking, but they may give just the right kind of spark and inspiration to someone out there who thought all journals are the same or that they have nothing to contribute to a journal.

The author does not break any new ground, but has a free and breezy style that is easy to digest. There are also some helpful tips on how to include plants or other objects in your journal. Again, this is not anything ground breaking, but it could give someone just the right amount of inspiration when they need it. ( )
1 vote kawika | Feb 5, 2008 |
One of my favorite encouraging books! ( )
  abecedarian | Nov 30, 2005 |
This book is dedicated to my children Shane and Shilo and their mother Lynne, who came up with the idea for it one night in the sweat lodge.
Has your intuition been telling you to get an empty journal and begin filling it with all the interesting events of your life?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,573,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible