Petals on the River by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Petals on the River

by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

6031024,690 (3.48)2 / 8

read this sometime last year and was good. gave this to a resident to read where I work ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 1, 2016 |
When outspoken Shemaine O’Hearn arrives in America her life is far from the privileged one she held back in England. Wrongly accused by her enemies and now an indentured servant to a man with a shadowy past, Shemaine needs to escape her confides and return to the life she knows. Gage Thorton was in need of a nanny but Shemaine was not what he was expecting nor did he expect the desire that came with her.

Once again Woodiwiss does not disappoint in this enigmatic tale of conspiracies and attempted murders. Gage is a hero to love with his mysterious past but easy going manner and Shemaine is a strong lead in this male dominated time. Woodiwiss lets Shemaine’s own character shine through creating an adventure and love standing against lies and betrayal. ( )
  wolfangel87 | Feb 27, 2013 |
OH, BLECH. No. I usually read fluffy things during downtime at work, and I can finish some pretty shame-worthy stuff, but this one I couldn't stomach. I didn't finish it. The syrupy, unbelievably bad writing made me quite the disruptive one at work and I was constantly being asked by co-workers, "What's gross?" It would startle me out of my own little reading world and I'd say to the co-worker, "What?" only to be told that I'd made a gagging noise that was followed with a loud, "Oh, gross!"

If you're ever stranded on a deserted island and somehow you have this book and this book only in your possession, make yourself a nice little bonfire with it and wait for help to arrive. ( )
  quillmenow | Nov 13, 2011 |
This is another very good book by a master story teller that is no longer with us. The story is set in colonial Virginia when indentured servants were sent to colonies to clear out the prisons of England. The story follows Shemaine, a rich young lady, whe has been framed for a crime she didn't commit. She decides she has a better chance of surviving as an indentured servant than staying in Newgate. She has already had several attempts to her life while find bars. Ms. Woodiwiss shows the harshness of the wilderness and the things that people did to just live one day to the next. The book is a wonderful glimpse into colonial life and the area around Williamsburg. I have read this story more times than I want to count and it was enjoyable this time as it was the first time. ( )
  LadyIsis | May 9, 2011 |
Typically I go to the library and pick up a bunch of books which I have ordered, and then on top of them I pick up one random romance novel. Usually, they're readable, and I don't bother putting them in here because they're so forgettable. This one was unforgettable. Why? Well, here's why. The heroine's hand has just accidentally gotten caught between the hero's son's sleepy kid head and the hero's package:

"A shocked gasp was torn from Shemaine as she sought to extricate herself from the tightening wedge into which her hand had been caught. Thought restrained no more than a fleeting moment, a grueling eternity might as well have passed before she managed to drag her hand free, in the course of which she heightened a multitude of sensations that had already been sharply stimulated in the man."

1. The heroine's name is SHEMAINE. 2. How do you even write like that? It gives me a headache to read, much less retype! Oh, but there's more:

"The hot blood had surged through Gage with swift and fiery intensity at the very instant of her hand's entrapment, making him achingly aware of his ravaging desire. Now, long moments after her hand had been safely clasped within her other, the ravenous flames still pulsed with excruciating vigor through his manly loins, searing holes in the thin wall of his restraint."

Yeah, manly loins, you hear that? Oh, but that's not all. A few sentences later:

"'I'm...I'm sorry!' Shemaine's strangled whisper seemed to fill the night, attesting to her shame. Though she clutched the offending hand against her breast, she could still sense the branding heat of his maleness against the back of it, the unexpected firmness that had grown rapidly pronounced, leaving her breathlessly aware of the bold, mature difference between the man and his son."

1. You had an awkward accidental moment, it happens, deal with it. 2. You just spent pages and pages living with whores! Why are you so freaked out by the possibility that a dude might have dude bits? 3. Maleness?! Firmness?! 4. The son in question? Is four years old. That ish is just wrong.

Suffice to say I won't be reading any more Woodiwiss... except maybe for the lulz. "Woodiwiss means never having to say 'I'm kidding,'" almost as much as Twilight does. ( )
  flourishing | Mar 17, 2009 |
The London Pride chafed against the quay as the currents of a rising nor'easter slowly rocked the vessel on her cables.

blurb: The fiery and outspoken adopted daughter of one of England’s most formidable women, Shemaine O’ Hearn has made powerful enemies. And now her adversaries have found a way to remove the hot blooded beauty from her life of privilege: by falsely convicting Shemaine of thievery, and sending her in shackles to America, where she is to be sold in indentured servitude to the highest bidder.
In a bustling port city in the colony of Virginia, she becomes the servant of Gage Thornton - a ship builder with a young child in need of a nanny. And despite whispered rumors condemning the handsome widower for the untimely death of his wife, Shemaine cannot ignore her desire for this caring, generous and enigmatic stranger who silently aches with his growing need for her - even as grave peril reached out from across a vast ocean to threaten their flowering love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038079828X, Mass Market Paperback)

Falsely convicted of being a thief, lovely high-born Shemaine O'Hearn arrives in colonial Virginia from London on a convict ship and is sold as an indentured servant to Gage Thornton, a local shipbuilder in need of a nanny for his young son. Shemaine is relieved to have such a handsome and generous master and eagerly undertakes unfamiliar domestic tasks in Gage's rustic cabin on the edge of the American wilderness. Even persistent rumors that Gage was responsible for his wife's violent and untimely death don't trouble her for long. But as Shemaine and Gage struggle to deal honorably with their growing desire in such close quarters, they're beset by enemies, both nearby and from afar, who are determined to rob them of their newfound happiness. Woodiwiss's lush, leisurely writing and heartwarming story will fully satisfy many of her loyal fans. --Ellen Edwards

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:21 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,457,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible