How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must): The…

How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must): The World According to Ann Coulter (2004)

by Ann Coulter

I had been wanting to read this for years, based almost solely on the title. I'm really amazed I was able to muscle through almost the entire thing. It is really unbearable. The format was poor (mostly it is just reprinting her columns in one collection) but that in and of itself isn't enough to discount it. One of my favorite books was Tucker's "Bourbon for Breakfast" which is almost solely a collection of his Blog posts, so that in and of itself is not enough to hate it.

However Coulter is entirely condescending. While the prologue actually had some useful information on how to talk to those who disagree politically, the rest of the book goes on with her completely ignoring her own advice. She is OBSSED with the War on Terror. How someone can claim we should "find the terrorist, kill their leaders, and convert them all to Christianity" doesn't sound like much of a Christian to me. In fact, claiming to be one is only hurting the Christian brand, I doubt she would call herself a follower of Jesus, or claim to have a relationship with Him, as it appears fairly obvious that if she does its not a good one.

She claims to hate Republicans, then goes on to tell us how Democrats are worse than Satan, and some republicans are Democrats.

Coulter can't get laid, and somehow that is the fault of Feminists and liberals. It could be your attitude Ann. Who would want to have dinner with you every night? No one I know.

I kept going as long as I did because I was told the book included her attempt at being a Libertarian candidate. Basically that came down to "the Libertarian Party of Connecticut was not comfortable with my lake of libertarian cred, particular on the drugs issue." Allegedly this was back in '99. As this was before the War on Terror, I'm certain she would not have even got in the door in today's Libertarian Party.

Please do yourself a favor and avoid this book at all costs. The only benefit would be to take it from a conservative after first assuring it is out of print, and never give it back.

Note, the one article on Campaign Finance reform was actually pretty good and one of the only logical arguments I have ever heard and actually aimed at those who do not already agree with her. I suspect you can find that on the internet much more easily than getting this book. ( )
  fulner | Jul 23, 2015 |
Was this supposed to be a humor book? I couldn't finish it, as I found it too unbelievable. ( )
  dpevers | Jul 8, 2014 |
  laurelei | Mar 31, 2013 |
Too pleased with herself to provide any decent analysis. The vituperative nature of her text is very negative. I can't imagine that she could have a calm discussion without getting shrill. ( )
2 vote Doey | Mar 31, 2011 |
im "out". i like ann coulter! ( )
  Ameliaiif | Apr 8, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0739321455, Audio CD)

This forceful, sarcastic, and often hilarious book offers tips on arguing with liberals, which include the following: don't be defensive, always outrage the enemy, and never apologize to, compliment, or show graciousness to a Democrat. Welcome to the world according to Ann Coulter. Ever combative, Coulter is unafraid to court controversy or confront her detractors head-on, whether they are mainstream journalists and talk-show hosts who have misquoted her without apology or "weak and frightened conservatives" craving liberal approval. Though the writing is often over-the-top, the book if full of one-liners that will delight conservatives, such as "the best way to convert liberals is to have them move out of their parents' home, get a job, and start paying taxes." But there is more here than just insults and countless jabs at Bill Clinton, and even her most devoted readers will find much new material in the book. Largely a collection of her syndicated columns from the past decade, How to Talk to a Liberal also includes columns that were never released or were rejected by editors--in Coulter's words, "what you could have read if you lived in a free country." --Shawn Carkonen

Amazon.com Exclusive Content

Ann Coulter on Election 2004
Ann Coulter has become a fixture among the country's leading conservative pundits with her take-no-prisoners approach making for controversial headline copy. She speaks out about Election 2004 in our exclusive interview.

Ann Coulter's Significant Seven
Ann Coulter kindly agreed to take the life quiz we like to give to all our authors: the Amazon Significant Seven. Read her answers here.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:44 -0400)

The conservative columnist shares her thoughts on topics from political correctness and foreign policy to the media, in a collection of her commentaries accompanied by responses from readers on both sides of the political spectrum.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,708,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible