A Clean Kill in Tokyo by Barry Eisler

A Clean Kill in Tokyo (2002)

by Barry Eisler

Series: John Rain (1)

Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: John Rain is a hero who is similar in many ways to Jack Reacher. A man of action and of few words, deep, lonely (even if he doesn't realize it). Rain is perhaps more morally ambiguous than Reacher; both kill without hesitation and little remorse, but Rain is, after all, an assassin, and gets paid to do so.… (more)
    Lost Light by Michael Connelly (Jestak)
    Killing Floor by Lee Child (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Lee Child's series starring Reacher starts with Killing Floor. If you like Rain's no-nonsense doing of whatever job it is that needs to be done, you'll probably like Child's series too.

English (31)  Dutch (1)  All languages (32)
More of a 3.5. Good but not overly engaging for me, perhaps I need to look at #2 of series (obviously a lot of folks like this series)it just didn't click.
I did like the not-set-in-America factor, though our hero is 'Merican, and his specialty... nice... the jazz clubs. Much is very clever, the author did a fine job.
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
I liked this book and I think I will read more from this series. I like John Rain, despite his harsh occupation, if you can call it that and despite his flaws. He carries a lot of baggage from Vietnam and CIA but he carries it well. He's a tough cookie and he has to be. I enjoy the techniques he uses to avoid detection and being aware is a lesson for all of us. The story was developed very well and the setting of Japan adds to the intrigue, since I'm completely unfamiliar with that locale. Very enjoyable. ( )
  bcrowl399 | Feb 7, 2018 |
Eisler is apparently a former CIA operative
and Silicon Valley lawyer. He also writes thrillers. This book is about
John Rain, who is similar to Jason Bourne, a highly trained assassin.
Rain is half Japanese and half American and lived in both worlds. He is
a former Vietnam War commando. He is haunted by his past and by
his present. He does murder for hire and his murders look like natural
or accidental deaths. All or almost all of the action takes places in
Tokyo and Eisler does a super job of describing the city, the customs,
the attitude. It is a fast paced thriller with plenty of fights and intrigue. ( )
  DaveWilde | Sep 22, 2017 |
A good blend of pulp, noir and mystery, set in Tokyo (mostly) and told from the traditional first-person point of view. A brief stumble into bad cliché near the end (and one that's a personal pet peeve, making it stand out for me) is the only thing that mars an otherwise terrific story, and everything else--including the ultimate resolution--is well done. Well above average both in terms of setting a scene and in characterization. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to care about a professional assassin, but Eisler does a good job of making John Rain human and likable. How can you not like someone who appreciates jazz and single malts? All that's missing from the trifecta is a love of baseball... ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
I read the Library of Congress talking book version of this novel, and the narration of John Haag is superb! The book is well written and the main character, though an assassin for hire, is someone I came to love. Smoothe flowing prose nicely portrays his professional side and his very human side. John Rain has been inducted into my "favorite characters " hall of fame. My digital book contains the first five Rain novels, and I will be reading them all in one sitting...something I usually don't do. There are now two authors only that I can read continually until series completion: Barry Eisler and Ridley Pearson. Mr Eisler, do not take this lightly. Pearson has been my top author since the mid nineties. Only now does he share that spot...with you sir. ( )
  briellenadyne | Jan 15, 2017 |

Barry Eislerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nishii, BrianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This novel is for three people who are not here to read it.

For my father, Edgar, who gave me strength.
For my mother, Barbara, who gave me insight.
For my brother, Ian, who helped me climb the mountain,
whose memory keeps me climbing still.
Harry cut through the morning rush-hour crowd like a shark fin through water.

First John Rain story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 045120915X, Mass Market Paperback)

John Rain, a Japanese American konketsu, or half-breed, learned his lethal trade as a member of the U.S. Special Forces. Although tortured by memories of atrocities he committed in Vietnam, he has become a paid assassin, a solitary man who lives in the shadows and trusts no one, even those who pay extraordinary sums for his ability to make murder look like natural death. But the aftermath of an otherwise routine hit on a government bureaucrat brings Rain to the attention of two men he knows from the old days in Vietnam: a friend who's now a Tokyo cop and an enemy who betrayed Rain long ago and is now the CIA's station chief in Japan. Like the gangster who hired Rain to kill Yasuhiro Kawamura, they want something the dead man had--a computer disk containing proof of high-level corruption, information that could destroy Japan's ruling political coalition. The search for the disk leads them to a woman Rain has come to love, a talented young jazz musician who also happens to be Kawamura's daughter. In this taut, brilliantly paced debut thriller, set in a vividly rendered Tokyo, the author manages an unlikely feat; he earns the reader's sympathy and concern for his protagonist, an amoral assassin who is one of most compelling characters in recent crime fiction. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:44 -0400)

Half American, half Japanese, John Rain is based in Tokyo -- where he kills people for a living. But he won't kill just anyone. And never a woman. Rain may not be a good man, but he's good at what he does -- until he falls for the beautiful daughter of his last kill.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,541,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible