Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Breakfast of Champions (1973)

by Kurt Vonnegut

13,371127277 (4)227
Recently added bye-zReader, Ron18, Moytuk, RyanSem, Polleian, rena75, RekhainBC, private library, cjbanning
Legacy LibrariesGraham Greene, Walker Percy
    The World According to Garp by John Irving (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: Both are left-field, with overlap in themes.
    The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving (readandride)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (esswedl)
    esswedl: Both of these Vonnegut novels involve the question of free will (and both are great).
    Mist by Miguel de Unamuno (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Books in which the author appears as himself and interacts with the characters while manipulating their fates.
    Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe by Bill Bryson (sombrio)
    Something Happened by Joseph Heller (ateolf)
    Kurt Vonnegut's crusade; or, How a postmodern harlequin preached a new kind of humanism by Todd F. Davis (pyrocow)

English (123)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (126)
I've only read two Vonnegut books, and as this one is a bit of a 50th birthday exercise for KV to say goodbye to his characters (as Jefferson freed his slaves at age 50, apparently), my impression may not be an altogether true one. But it is this: Kurt Vonnegut only really writes one book, it gets new chapters from time to time, it is brilliantly different in that the perspective is a special sort of 4th wall meets omniscient narration.
I thought sections of BoC were beautifully mind-expanding. I became aware of how his work had influenced other writers I like (Phillip K Dick and Grant Morrison). If not everyone else... seriously - is any writer not a fan of KV? Probably, I'm just too lazy to google it.

The pacing, and variance of theme, are beautiful in Breakfast of Champions. Also, a little personally therapeutic, on the author's part (I assume - along with his suggestion) riffing on the subjects of emotion, depression, suicide, and paternal legacy.

The actual climax was dull compared to the build-up, I'm afraid. Otherwise I may have gone to 5 stars. Also, the idea that reading one KV book is such a similar experience to reading another is something that costs it a little charm for me. I like when an artist gives a different sort of picture, or variation enough to provoke you to keep walking in the gallery.

Fully enjoyable. Happy to have chosen it as my vacation read. Goes well with sand and waves and mostly naked people walking around like that's perfectly normal. ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |
maybe my steady diet of Vonnegut has raised my expectations ? so far Bluebeard and Player Piano are my favorites ! ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
Biting satire abounds in this Vonnegut classic. Issues of race, destruction of the planet, and violence, among others, are all address in his signature style. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
The idea was brilliant. Well executed and thought inducing.

And so on. ( )
  simonspacecadet | Jul 29, 2018 |
This was my first Vonnegut novel (I previously had only read some of his short fiction) and I really enjoyed it. His writing style is unlike anyone else's in a delightful -- though perhaps "acquired taste" -- sort of way. This book satirizes American culture and makes some vitally important statements about racism and other social ills that feel timely today, decades after its publication. ( )
  sparemethecensor | Jun 28, 2018 |

Tonnerre, GwilymTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veraldi, AttilioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zanon, CássiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When he hath tried me,
I shall come forth as gold.
-JOB
In Memory of Phoebe Hurty,,
who comforted me in Indianapolis--
during the Great Depression
This is the tale of a meeting of two lonely, skinny, fairly old white men on a planet which was dying fast.
Roses are red and ready for plucking; you’re sixteen and ready for high school.
Here is a picture of a wide open beaver.
Sometimes I wonder about the creator of the universe.
The chief weapon of sea pirates, however, was their capacity to astonish. Nobody else could believe, until it was too late, how heartless and greedy they were.
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

The author questions the condition of modern man in this novel depicting a science fiction writer's struggle to find peace and sanity in the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,481,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible