dismiss

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Breakfast of Champions (1973)

by Kurt Vonnegut

13,948137288 (4)236
The author questions the condition of modern man in this novel depicting a science fiction writer's struggle to find peace and sanity in the world.
Recently added byEuropa_Erupts, igio, rena40, private library, carlypancakes, Aaron.Cohen, Jayeless, Serrana, Kevkram, gmickd
Legacy LibrariesGraham Greene, Walker Percy
    The World According to Garp by John Irving (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: Both are left-field, with overlap in themes.
    The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving (readandride)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (esswedl)
    esswedl: Both of these Vonnegut novels involve the question of free will (and both are great).
    Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe by Bill Bryson (sombrio)
    One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (sturlington)
    Mist by Miguel de Unamuno (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Books in which the author appears as himself and interacts with the characters while manipulating their fates.
    Something Happened by Joseph Heller (ateolf)
    Kurt Vonnegut's crusade; or, How a postmodern harlequin preached a new kind of humanism by Todd F. Davis (pyrocow)

English (134)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (137)
There's usually a comforting kind of consistency with Kurt Vonnegut's books – they're never my favourites, with the characterisation being too shallow for that – but they're witty, left-wing, and usually just kinda fun.

Unfortunately, I didn't find this one as fun. I kept getting the characters mixed up and then it all got a bit silly at the end. ( )
  Jayeless | May 27, 2020 |
I think I get Goodreads-itis sometimes where I end up slogging through old obscuro books for something as clear, concise, and beautiful as this. Sometimes it's good to return to the source. ( )
  uncleflannery | May 16, 2020 |
Synopses of Kilgore Trout’s stories, razing the fourth wall to the ground, typical Vonnegut's wisecracks and observations about humanity - there's nothing missing. Arguably the best book he's ever written, Slaughterhouse 5 being the only other contender. Even Cat's Cradle doesn't really bear comparison. ( )
  Stravaiger64 | May 2, 2020 |
This is a mess. The fact that its an intentional mess does not excuse it. I love Vonnegut and I hate him for knowing that he'd probably love the fact that I thought the book was a mess. He wanted it this way. The book is postmodernist metafiction. Vonnegut puts himself in the book and talks to his own characters. I did not enjoy more than 20% of the book scattered throughout it.

He ended up hating this book and said he regretted writing it. The fact that it became one of his most popular books is one of the best burns the universe could have provided him. You deserved it Kurt, ya' old loon. ( )
  parzivalTheVirtual | Mar 22, 2020 |
I had heard about Vonnegut a lot, but I never knew what he wrote about. So I took up this book when it was gifted to me by my brother.

Although the title looks really kid friendly, don't go about buying one for your kid. There are a lot of expletives and there is also a crude sketch of a human vagina.

His writing his very satirical.

I don't know whether to call him racist or not, but he does specify the skin color of the person while introducing them. AND, use the word 'nigger' for black people. Sporadically, he would label things as "black" and "white".
He calls Japanese and Vietnamese soldiers yellow robots, fueled by Rice.

Explains mundane things like a pea, an apple etc along with a self drawn sketch of it. I don't know what he was trying to achieve with that.

Starting at one fine point and thereafter, he goes and describes the sizes of penises of the various male characters, and the body figures of the female characters in the book for no reason at all. In fact, he mentions it in the same breath as the person's name: "His name was Eldon Robbins, and He had a penis nine inches long and two inches in diameter." Weird, no?

At another point the story gets super meta when he inserts himself into the story; which I found rather unusual. He soon reveals that he's suffering from schizophrenia, perhaps enjoying it if you ask me.
Later he goes full 'God-Mode' as he confronts the protagonist and makes him believe about him being the creator of his whole world including himself (the protagonist).

The author's oft repeated disclaimer that the title “Breakfast of Champions” is not meant to disparage any of the fine products made by General Mills, makes you think that it IS intended to do just that.

I really liked the climax of the story. And I'd say that my first experience of reading a Vonnegut was really good, full of surprises. ( )
  Govindap11 | Mar 21, 2020 |

Kurt Vonnegutprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zanon, CássiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When he hath tried me,
I shall come forth as gold.
-JOB
In Memory of Phoebe Hurty,,
who comforted me in Indianapolis--
during the Great Depression
This is the tale of a meeting of two lonely, skinny, fairly old white men on a planet which was dying fast.
Roses are red and ready for plucking; you’re sixteen and ready for high school.
Here is a picture of a wide open beaver.
Sometimes I wonder about the creator of the universe.
The chief weapon of sea pirates, however, was their capacity to astonish. Nobody else could believe, until it was too late, how heartless and greedy they were.
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,509,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible