Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Breakfast of Champions (original 1973; edition 1999)

by Kurt Vonnegut

12,647116188 (4)200
Member:2seven
Title:Breakfast of Champions
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut
Info:Dial Press Trade Paperback (1999), Paperback, 303 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Tags:contemporary fiction, humor, satire, shelved

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut (1973)

The World According to Garp by John Irving (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: Both are left-field, with overlap in themes.
    The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving (readandride)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (esswedl)
    esswedl: Both of these Vonnegut novels involve the question of free will (and both are great).
    Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe by Bill Bryson (sombrio)
    Mist by Miguel de Unamuno (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Books in which the author appears as himself and interacts with the characters while manipulating their fates.
    Something Happened by Joseph Heller (ateolf)
    Kurt Vonnegut's crusade; or, How a postmodern harlequin preached a new kind of humanism by Todd F. Davis (pyrocow)

English (113)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (116)
At a time when a dominant trend in fiction seems to be to express familiar things in a complex way, it's refreshing to return to a writer who so obviously attempts the opposite. From the outset, the narrative is pitched in a matter-of-fact manner that enhances rather than diminishes the content, and the inclusion of the author's illustrations adds to the diarist/textbook style. With this being Vonnegut, plenty of satirical punches arise using these devices, and these literary blows are placed with effective precision. With a postmodern flourish, the narrative also moves on to include scenes featuring the narrator/author (but, despite the cameo appearances of characters from other Vonnegut novels, I wouldn't rush to the conclusion that the authored author is Vonnegut himself). 'Breakfast of Champions' is a little zany, and a little bit of its own time, but still sufficiently fresh to make it a worthwhile read more than 40 years after first being published. ( )
  Kanikoski | Apr 20, 2017 |
Hated it. ( )
  TerriS | Apr 14, 2017 |
Listen: You might not like this book if you have a problem with illustrations of assholes and wide open beavers. The assholes look something like this: *. You'll have to read the book to see the rest of the illustrations. You might like this book if you have chemicals in your brain that make you like Vonnegut, his illustrations, his characters, and his dark humor. And you might like the way he gives the plot away in Chapter 1 and defines useful terms like legume for the reader. You might like that this book prominently features Kilgore Trout.

And so on. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
I thought this book accomplished an amazing thing. It portrayed humanity in all its grotesqueness, stupidity, irrationality, insanity, and cruelty, and yet still convinced me that we are, each of us, "unwavering bands of light." This was the perfect read at the perfect time for me, still as relevant in 2016 as it was when it was written. And John Malkovich did a fantastic job as narrator. ( )
  sturlington | Oct 23, 2016 |
There is an ineffable charm in the cynical view of humanity, and especially the fraction that lives in the U.S., that Vonnegut conveys in his novels. This one is much the same as several of his others — not much of a plot, but a lot of commentary, both subtle and vulgar, on the people and culture of our point in time and space. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |

Kurt Vonnegutprimary authorall editionscalculated
Malkovich, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salu, MichaelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When he hath tried me,
I shall come forth as gold.
-JOB
In Memory of Phoebe Hurty,,
who comforted me in Indianapolis--
during the Great Depression
This is the tale of a meeting of two lonely, skinny, fairly old white men on a planet which was dying fast.
Roses are red and ready for plucking; you’re sixteen and ready for high school.
Here is a picture of a wide open beaver.
Sometimes I wonder about the creator of the universe.
The chief weapon of sea pirates, however, was their capacity to astonish. Nobody else could believe, until it was too late, how heartless and greedy they were.
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

The author questions the condition of modern man in this novel depicting a science fiction writer's struggle to find peace and sanity in the world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible