Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Breakfast of Champions (original 1973; edition 1973)

by Kurt Vonnegut

12,571115190 (4)200
Member:Alabroad
Title:Breakfast of Champions
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut
Info:Cape, Jonathan (1973), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Breakfast of Champions by Jr. Kurt Vonnegut (1973)

The World According to Garp by John Irving (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: Both are left-field, with overlap in themes.
    The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving (readandride)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (esswedl)
    esswedl: Both of these Vonnegut novels involve the question of free will (and both are great).
    Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe by Bill Bryson (sombrio)
    Mist by Miguel de Unamuno (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Books in which the author appears as himself and interacts with the characters while manipulating their fates.
    Something Happened by Joseph Heller (ateolf)
    Kurt Vonnegut's crusade; or, How a postmodern harlequin preached a new kind of humanism by Todd F. Davis (pyrocow)

English (111)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (114)
Listen: You might not like this book if you have a problem with illustrations of assholes and wide open beavers. The assholes look something like this: *. You'll have to read the book to see the rest of the illustrations. You might like this book if you have chemicals in your brain that make you like Vonnegut, his illustrations, his characters, and his dark humor. And you might like the way he gives the plot away in Chapter 1 and defines useful terms like legume for the reader. You might like that this book prominently features Kilgore Trout.

And so on. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
I thought this book accomplished an amazing thing. It portrayed humanity in all its grotesqueness, stupidity, irrationality, insanity, and cruelty, and yet still convinced me that we are, each of us, "unwavering bands of light." This was the perfect read at the perfect time for me, still as relevant in 2016 as it was when it was written. And John Malkovich did a fantastic job as narrator. ( )
  sturlington | Oct 23, 2016 |
There is an ineffable charm in the cynical view of humanity, and especially the fraction that lives in the U.S., that Vonnegut conveys in his novels. This one is much the same as several of his others — not much of a plot, but a lot of commentary, both subtle and vulgar, on the people and culture of our point in time and space. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
I hated this book. It made no sense. I have no idea what it was about. It is a literary Seinfeld. ( )
1 vote Sheila1957 | Aug 25, 2016 |
Thus far one of the best discoveries of reading through the 1001 book list is Vonnegut. Breakfast of Champions is written in his signature style of short simple sentences. My take away from this book was concerns about mechanistic explanations for humanity and how much (if any) free-will the majority of us have. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jul 27, 2016 |

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.primary authorall editionscalculated
Malkovich, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salu, MichaelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When he hath tried me,
I shall come forth as gold.
-JOB
In Memory of Phoebe Hurty,,
who comforted me in Indianapolis--
during the Great Depression
This is the tale of a meeting of two lonely, skinny, fairly old white men on a planet which was dying fast.
Roses are red and ready for plucking; you’re sixteen and ready for high school.
Here is a picture of a wide open beaver.
Sometimes I wonder about the creator of the universe.
The chief weapon of sea pirates, however, was their capacity to astonish. Nobody else could believe, until it was too late, how heartless and greedy they were.
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

The author questions the condition of modern man in this novel depicting a science fiction writer's struggle to find peace and sanity in the world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,321,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible