Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Breakfast of Champions (original 1973; edition 1973)

by Kurt Vonnegut

11,221None248 (4.01)139
Member:Alabroad
Title:Breakfast of Champions
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut
Info:Cape, Jonathan (1973), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut (1973)

1001 (37) 1001 books (31) 1970s (29) 20th century (88) American (116) American fiction (32) American literature (154) classic (64) classics (49) ebook (33) fiction (1,231) humor (251) illustrated (30) kilgore trout (56) Kindle (27) Kurt Vonnegut (42) literature (151) metafiction (43) novel (200) own (40) paperback (29) postmodern (32) read (156) satire (273) science fiction (293) sf (32) to-read (103) unread (40) USA (40) Vonnegut (116)

English (97)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (100)
3.5 ( )
  Jphotic | Mar 31, 2014 |
Dark. Crude. Brilliant. Bizarre.

There’s nothing at all conventional about this novel, and it's a somewhat challenging read… so many different ideas and characters floating around that require constant, abrupt shifts of attention. That said, it is also extremely entertaining and well worth the effort.

This was my first experience with Kurt Vonnegut. I have no idea how similar his other books are to “Breakfast of Champions," but I look forward to finding out. ( )
  justabitoutside | Feb 18, 2014 |
So very disappointed by Kurt Vonnegut's "Breakfast of Champions"... I've loved everything else by Vonnegut and generally find his black humor right up my alley.

I chuckled my way through the beginning of the book and expected a delightful ride. But it went off the rails for me and the story, which is a conglomeration of weird and separate elements (as per usual) never really gelled very well. ( )
  amerynth | Feb 2, 2014 |
I read this book recently because it was mentioned in Among Others. The simplified didacticism of the writing style implies the reader is from the distant future or is not human (or in reality invites the reader to recognize absurdity). AO breadcrumbs: didn't notice any. ( )
  sprite | Nov 24, 2013 |
Like a lot of Vonnegut books it may not make a ton of sense but it's a fun ride. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
When he hath tried me,
I shall come forth as gold.
-JOB
In Memory of Phoebe Hurty,,
who comforted me in Indianapolis--
during the Great Depression
This is the tale of a meeting of two lonely, skinny, fairly old white men on a planet which was dying fast.
Roses are red and ready for plucking; you’re sixteen and ready for high school.
Here is a picture of a wide open beaver.
Sometimes I wonder about the creator of the universe.
The chief weapon of sea pirates, however, was their capacity to astonish. Nobody else could believe, until it was too late, how heartless and greedy they were.
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

The author questions the condition of modern man in this novel depicting a science fiction writer's struggle to find peace and sanity in the world.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,466,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible