Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Breakfast of Champions (original 1973; edition 1973)

by Kurt Vonnegut

Member:Alabroad
Title:Breakfast of Champions
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut
Info:Cape, Jonathan (1973), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut (1973)

English (105)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (108)
Vonnegut is the only author I have encountered that I think comes across better as an audio production. I'm listening to it a second time, just because, so that will be three times all together when done. A good start since you can't get it all at once. I did not enjoy as much as Slaughterhouse Five, but I can't tell where to rank it compared to Cat's Cradle. I enjoy the perspective on mental illness - it is pretty modern. Not sure the dimensions of certain body parts really adds anything....If anyone knows where I can get an audio of Galapagos... ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
A weird, and wonderful novel! With lots of illustrations, that are also weird and wonderful! Science fiction writer Kilgore Trout and car salesman Dwayne Hoover are the two main characters who eventually cross paths in Midland City. It is a strange story, yet it contains powerful observations of the United States - its history, its political and social agendas (especially the plight of the African Americans) , and its declining environmental health. The story also mentions the length and width of all the male characters' penises. The author himself appears as a character toward the end of the book, though his "voice" is heard throughout. It is a bit unconventional, but I found that to be refreshing and entertaining. Goodbye Blue Monday! And so on. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 22, 2016 |
Brilliant. One of Vonnegut's favorite recurring characters, Kilgore Trout, is invited to a Festival of the Arts in Midland City, to speak at the opening of a new arts center. This book tells the story of Trout's journey, with parallel stories for the characters he will meet when he arrives in Midland City.

Vonnegut uses very dark humor and satire and novelizes society's wretched underbelly of shortcomings: racism, sexism, inhumanity, war, advertising, apathy, pollution, and so on -- it's all held up to the light and examined here. Vonnegut employs metafiction and includes his own sketches in the print version.

The message is intricate, immense, and simple all at the same time. To quote another of his stories, it seems to always boil down to this: G*d dammit, you've got to be kind.

A warning: black humor and heavy satire infuse this story -- if you don't appreciate them or at least keep them in mind, you'll be offended. ( )
  kimberwolf | Jan 16, 2016 |
Extremely funny, bizarre and charming. ( )
  Braden_Timss | Jul 17, 2015 |
Ranks up there with SH5 ( )
  bob101 | May 14, 2015 |
When he hath tried me,
I shall come forth as gold.
-JOB
In Memory of Phoebe Hurty,,
who comforted me in Indianapolis--
during the Great Depression
This is the tale of a meeting of two lonely, skinny, fairly old white men on a planet which was dying fast.
Roses are red and ready for plucking; you’re sixteen and ready for high school.
Here is a picture of a wide open beaver.
Sometimes I wonder about the creator of the universe.
The chief weapon of sea pirates, however, was their capacity to astonish. Nobody else could believe, until it was too late, how heartless and greedy they were.
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

The author questions the condition of modern man in this novel depicting a science fiction writer's struggle to find peace and sanity in the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,194,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible