Antigone by Sophokles

Antigone (edition 2000)

by Sophokles, Sophokles (Author)

3,823442,081 (3.68)1 / 128
When Antigone, the daughter of Oedipus, chooses to obey the law of the gods rather than an unconscionable command from Creon, ruler of Thebes, she is condemned to death. How the gods take their revenge on Creon provides the gripping denouement to this compelling tragedy, still one of the most frequently performed of classical Greek dramas. Footnotes.… (more)
Member:timoheuer
Title:Antigone
Authors:Sophokles
Other authors:Sophokles (Author)
Info:Reclam, Ditzingen (2000), Edition: Durchges. Aufl., Taschenbuch, 64 pages
Tags:antike literatur, griechische literatur, antike, griechenland, mord, gott, götter, staat, antikes griechenland, drama

Antigone by Sophocles (Author)

English (39)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (44)
Ancient and yet so relevant to today. Antigone wants only to do what is right, to respect her slain brother by giving him a proper burial. But in this simple task, she is thwarted by laws of the State; because he attacked Thebes, her brother must be left for carrion. Antigone argues that there is a moral law higher than that of the State. She loses, with tragic results for everyone. ( )
  steller0707 | Aug 25, 2019 |
Owen Bennett Jones recently wrote on the Islamic State in the LRB. "Every time a Jihadi movement has won power it has lost popularity by failing to give the people what they want: peace, security and jobs." When I read that I thought about poor King Creon. I have always felt disturbed by the vice of fate in this play which steadily traps and crushes. It was Creon's hubris which caught my attention this time. Doesn't he have a mandate? I imagine him simply incredulous. Why this dissent? Subsequently I read a number of secondary pieces, though as I feared Creon is a symbol, whereas Antigone remains human, though her plight is class-conscious according to some, whereas others view matters as a collision of opposed ideas. Jean-Pierre Vernant and Pierre Vidal-Naquet explored such in their Myth and Tragedy in Ancient Greece.

Rather, it is between two different types of religious feeling; one is a family religion, purely private and confined to the small circle of close relatives, the philoi, centered around the domestic hearth and the cult of the dead; the other is a public religion in which the tutelary gods of the city eventually become confused with the supreme values of the State.

Who would have guessed that a few hundred years after the Enlightenment such rituals and disputation would remain foregrounded? My views on progress and positivism have been eroded greatly over the course of my adult life. A chill remains in the air and yet a glimmer of hope persists, even now. I hope to always harbor such impossibilities ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Read for my Political Thought in the West class. Although I'm having trouble understanding the professor through his thick Romanian accent, I believe that he finds value in this play for its tension: between the individual and the state, between familial obligations and duty to the polis, between divine command and positive law, betwen youthful self-sacrifice and adult dominiation. And, of course, between man and woman. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
A terrific translation without affectation. The back-and-forth between characters is sharp and Bagg does a good job of suggesting the perversity of Antigone's lust for death. He also keeps Kreon sympathetic. The notes are good and his introduction is sensible. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
I won't lie, I read this as part of my Ancient Greece class instead of upon my own merit...but unlike most required readings (at least in my experience) it was highly entertaining, and a fun and easy read, easily done with one hot bubble bath and a little R&R. ( )
  erinla | Oct 31, 2017 |

Zink, NorbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Ismene, my dear sister through common blood, do you know of any evil from Oedipus Zeus will not perform on us who still live?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,532,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible