The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche…

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (1958)

by La Leche League International

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League International. Epiphany-OviedoELCA library section 8 I: Life Skills, Mothers. This time-tested classic has helped millions of women learn about the simple, natural practice of breastfeeding. I breastfed both my son and daughter, and I know “breast is best” for many reasons. Expectant fathers, read this book too! If you learn why breastfeeding is so important, you will be more supportive. A father’s positive attitude makes a crucial difference in a mother’s success at breastfeeding, and further enhances his relationship with his wife AND his children. Be a hero to your family and support your wife in this natural, inexpensive, nutritious way to nourish your children.
This book tells how to prepare for breastfeeding during pregnancy, the effects on newborns of meds used during labor and delivery, how to feed your baby, overcome common breastfeeding problems, breastfeed a baby with special needs, tips for the working mother, and current research on the benefits of breastfeeding, including raising your baby’s IQ! I knew breastfeeding conferred immunity from common diseases on an infant until the baby is old enough for his first vaccines, but I did not know it can improve baby’s IQ. It makes sense because human milk is the perfect food for infants, and a baby’s brain is developing especially rapidly in the first three months of life. Actually the first two years are critical to brain development. Those kids who get the best food – mother’s milk – and who receive the most cuddling, reading to, singing to, and talking to all day long from interactive caregivers, are the babies who develop best. These are the kids who enter kindergarten at or above grade level, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed, primed to learn at speedy rates.
Another reason to breast feed is that women who breastfeed their babies for a total of at least two years contract breast cancer less often. Even more amazingly, women whose mothers breastfed them have less incidence of breast cancer. Breastfeeding doesn’t just nourish your child as an infant, but can make them healthier adults too!
While there are times a mother might have to stop breastfeeding (I had to stop when I was hospitalized with a broken back when my daughter was 3 months old), it is truly best for mother, baby, and the whole family. It’s sanitary, natural, ready at a moment’s notice and portable. And I have not even mentioned the psychological bonds of parenthood it confers. While it is true a father cannot breastfeed, he can rock, read to, sing to, cuddle, play with, change diapers, and bathe baby. If a mother expresses her milk Dad can bottle feed his baby too! I encourage expectant moms to breastfeed their babies if at all possible. The credo is simple: “breast is best.” La Leche League has local chapters where expectant and new mothers can obtain help, friendship, support and encouragement. It’s a wonderful organization! ( )
  Epiphany-OviedoELCA | Nov 3, 2011 |
All parents want the very best for their babies and there is no doubt about it-Human milk is the ideal food for human babies. In thai book, you will find the kind information you need to enjoy a wonderful breastfeeding relationship with your baby. You'll learn all about:
- How human milk offers a lifetime benefits for your baby,
- How to prepare for brastfeding during your pragnancy,
- How to combine breastfeeding and working,
-How to be sure your baby is getting enough to eat,

-How to find time for yourself while meeting your baby needs,
-How to find the support you need so you can enjoy breastfeeding,
-how to give your baby the best start in life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( )
  LLLSouthCentralMiami | Apr 24, 2010 |
This is considered one of the foremost books on breastfeeding.

It focuses predominently on breastfeeding, the benefits of it, and how to do it. A very non-judgemental book, I imagine it would be a mus for any serious breastfeeding advocate. ( )
  alsocass | Nov 11, 2009 |
This is a wonderful book for anyone who wants to breastfeed or has questions about breastfeeding their baby. I got this book when I was pregnant and I truly believe that it helped me to be a successful breastfeeding mother. It covers everything from pregnancy to weaning to tandum nursing. A must have for anyone who wants to have a successful breastfeeding relationship with their child. ( )
1 vote nicholem | Oct 10, 2008 |
This book has lots of information in it on breastfeeding along with some personal ancedotes from breastfeeding moms. I was always under the impression that La Leche League was a snobby group that thought poorly of bottle-feeding mothers and those who didn't babywear, co-sleep or do other attachment parenting things. I was wrong and I apologize to anyone who is affiliated with the LLL. Just goes to show you should find things out for yourself, not go on others opinions.

LLL does tout that breast is best, but breast IS best. However LLL didn't call bottlefeeding mothers bad. Co-sleeping and babywearing is also mentioned but I didn't feel the authors were saying I was a bad parent if I didn't do those things also.

Unlike other breastfeeding books, this book also covered some other topics like discipline and getting things done with small children in a loving way that is conducive with breastfeeding. I also really enjoyed the photographs of nursing mothers and babies throughout the book.

At the end of the book is a chapter on the history of LLL which some may find interesting and some may not.

This isn't my top pick for breastfeeding book but it is a close second or third. ( )
1 vote callista83 | Sep 19, 2008 |
We dedicate this book with much love to the many caring parents who have helped make La Leche League what it is today, and to our patient, loving husbands and children, all of whom helped the seven of us learn the womanly art of breastfeeding.

This book could not have been written and the basic principles underlying the work of La Leche League would not have withstood the test of time, had it not been for the unfailing counsel of Doctors Herbert Ratner and Gregory White, who have wholeheartedly supported us from the earliest days of La Leche League. For this, we are most grateful.
Breastfeeding is the most natural source of nourishment and security for your baby.

All parents want the best for their babies, and there’s no doubt about the fact that human milk is the ideal food for human babies. What’s the secret of successful breastfeeding? For almost fifty years mothers who have been in touch with La Leche League have found the kind of information and support they needed to breastfeed their babies.

In this newly revised edition of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, you will learn:

• How human milk offers lifetime benefits for your baby
• How to prepare for breastfeeding during pregnancy
• How to exercise and lose weight safely while nursing
• How to find time for yourself while meeting baby’s needs
• How to increase your milk supply by using herbs and medications
• How to be sure your baby is getting enough to eat

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding was the first book of its kind, written for mothers by mothers. Over the years, more than two million mothers have turned to it for information and inspiration.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:25 -0400)

Underscores the benefits of breastfeeding for babies and mothers and presents helpful information and counsel on procedures, special circumstances, nutrition, and weaning.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,110,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible