Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

England, Their England by A. G. Macdonell

England, Their England (1933)

by A. G. Macdonell

Just recently someone asked me which book made me smile the most. A few days later I saw a copy of it in a bookshop on Charing Cross Road. It was England, their England from the Cottage Library edition and had remnants of the dust jacket tucked inside. I have never read the whole book - just the chapter on the cricket match - chapter 7 - pages 98-124. I read the chapter again and it made me smile again but not as much as previously. This may be due to the Brexit cloud. It made me smile nevertheless, the blacksmith bowler, the professor ballistics professor working out the exact point at which the ball would fall out of the sky landing 'with a sharp report upon the top of his head' etc etc. ( )
1 vote jon1lambert | Mar 23, 2019 |
I had never heard of this book before I started reading from the Guardian's list of 1000 novels. It was so funny! I started chuckling on the very first page. ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 17, 2018 |
I refuse to tag this as a novel. Evelyn Waugh made excellent novels out of this material. but Macdonnell isn't really trying. Very funny however.
  sonofcarc | Sep 12, 2016 |
I picked this up because it was carried by a character in Uprooted by Lynne Reid Banks. It is quite funny in parts. Some of it is more difficult for an American to understand (like the chapter on cricket). But the general idea comes across. There is not much of a plot. It is a fond look at the foibles of the English written by a Scot. A fun read. ( )
  njcur | Sep 8, 2015 |
I have the 1949 edition. Can't remember it. To re-read sometime.
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |

Macdonell, A. G.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brookes, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peter BrookesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vickers, HugoIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vickers, HugoIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To J. C. Squire

The English Poet
The events which are described in this book had their real origin in a conversation which took place between two artillery subalterns on the Western Front in the beginning of October 1917.

Set in 1920s England, this book chronicles the life of a young man forced to live among the English, rather than in his native Scotland. What follows is a series of interesting and satirical observations about English life, including fox hunting, domestic politics, and most famously, village cricket. This classic book remains a hilarious look into everyday British life in the interwar years.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible