Princess: A true story of live behind the…

Princess: A true story of live behind the veil in Saudi Arabia

by Jean Sasson

1,259None6,270 (3.83)12
adult (4) Arabia (5) autobiography (20) bio (6) biography (107) book club (4) feminism (6) fiction (10) history (5) Islam (64) Islamica (5) memoir (47) Middle East (62) Muslim (8) Muslims (5) non-fiction (128) novel (5) own (7) paperback (6) princess (7) read (17) religion (10) royalty (15) Saudi Arabia (93) to-read (13) unread (7) wishlist (4) women (52) women's rights (11) women's studies (9)
    Nicht Ohne Meine Tochter (Leishai)
    Between Two Worlds: Escape from Tyranny: Growing Up in the Shadow of Saddam by Zainab Salbi (itbgc)
    In the Land of Invisible Women by Qanta Ahmed (Mrs.Stansbury)
    Mrs.Stansbury: Each book glimpses life behind the veils of women in Saudi Arabia and reveals unique views and different perspectives. If you enjoy one you'll enjoy the other.

English (28)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (30)

My heart was breaking about this story. I couldn't put it down. Then, I couldn't stop talking about it. It's awful to hear how women are treated over there. This was an excellent book, every American, man or woman needs to read this! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
This is a tale of men with outrageous wealth and power, whose morals have lowered to such an extent that they seek their pleasure at the expense of others. This is a tale of women who, despite having the means to obtain almost anything they desire at any cost, cannot gain their ultimate desire: Freedom. ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
"Princess" is the true biography of Princess Sultana, a Saudi Princess. Her story is shocking and very profound yet it is also universal because everyone that reads this book can relate to her. The author, Jean Sasson has written a new book titled "Yasmeena's Choice" which is also a true story. Although it is not about a princess, the book is just as gripping and I would highly recommend it. ( )
  Reader2201 | Nov 12, 2013 |
If you care about the treatment of women in any country, read this book. If you want to know more about harem cultures (which even modern Saudi Arabia still reflects), read this book. It may tear at your heart a bit, but you'll walk away glad that you've educated yourself. And perhaps wondering how this sort of cultural influence or gender bias might still be affecting even so-called "free" women in the United States.

And how many lives have you lived in such cultures as this? Do you carry an echo within you? Does your relationship with either gender reflect this subtle influence? I know I have a strong, past-life connection to harem lifetimes, as both man and/or woman, proven by my flashbacks and experiences in the present life, as detailed in my own book. It's important to ferret out any leftover imbalances in attitude in the present, and this book will help you do it. We live such lives to learn, but now's the time to discard the less useful elements through our objectification and analysis.

The sad aspect is that both men and women in such a restrictive social world are suffering from the lack of equal partnerships, or, as I like to call them, polarity relationships, which could otherwise do so much for their happiness, peace of mind, and productivity.

Do I think the Princess of the title is a real person? Hard to say. What a risky thing these two women did by creating this book! I waited two decades to read it, after my own close call with an opportunity to live in Saudi Arabia. From all I've learned from insiders about life in that country, I believe every story told in the book is true or as close to truth as could safely be conveyed. Since identities needed to be so securely hidden, some of the stories may have been many times repeated, but I didn't sense a lot of exaggeration, based on my knowledge of the customs.

It's a highly readable book, and you may find yourself compelled to keep turning pages, even when the situations are so shocking you'd like to quit. ( )
  mrsdowney | Oct 17, 2013 |
To Jack
In a land where kings still rule, I am a princess. (Introduction)
Ali slapped me to the ground, but I declined to hand over the shiny red apple just given to me by the Pakistani cook.

Sultana is a Saudi Arabian princess, a woman born to fabulous, uncountable wealth. She has four mansions on three continents, her own private jet, glittering jewels, designer dresses galore. But in reality she lives in a gilded cage. She has no freedom, no control over her own life, no value but as a bearer of sons. Hidden behind her black floor-length veil, she is a prisoner, jailed by her father, her husband, her sons, and her country.Sultana is a member of the Saudi royal family, closely related to the king. For the sake of her daughters, she has decided to take the risk of speaking out about the life of women in her country, regardless of their rank. She must hide her identity for fear that the religous leaders in her country would call for her death to punish her honesty. Only a woman in her position could possibly hope to escape from being revealed and punished, despite her cloak and anonymity.Sultana tells of her own life, from her turbulent childhood to her arranged marriage--a happy one until her husband decided to displace her by taking a second wife--and of the lives of her sisters, her friends and her servants. Although they share affection, confidences and an easy camaraderie within the confines of the women's quarters, they also share a history of appaling oppressions, everyday occurrences that in any other culture would be seen as shocking human rights violations; thirteen-year-old girls forced to marry men five times their age, young women killed by drowning, stoning, or isolation in the "women's room," a padded, windowless cell where women are confined with neither light nor conversation until death claims them.By speaking out, Sultana risks bringing the wrath of the Saudi establishment upon her head and te heads of her children. But by telling her story to Jean Sasson, Sultana has allowed us to see beyond the veils of this secret society, to the heart of a nation where sex, money, and power reign supreme.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:55 -0400)

A Saudi woman discusses what life is like for women in her country, describing how women are sold into marriage to men five times their age, are treated as their husbands' slaves, and are often murdered for the slightest transgression.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,473,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible