Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2) by Jim…

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2) (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

Member:ElizaBaum
Title:Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:magic, urban fantasy

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher

Gateways by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (AFHeart)
    AFHeart: Like Dresden, the book is about a loner with parental issues who has natural powers. In the Kate Daniels series she is not used to having friends or trusting others because of her natural magic. Also like Dresden there is sexual tension but realistic, there is violence in fighting demons but it is not gory for the sake of gore. Kate Daniels books have more world building.… (more)
    The Haunted Air by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)

English (215)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  English (217)
Meh. I'm still waiting for this series to become amazing as so many have told me it is. It's entertaining enough but Harry is just so dopey and the writing is cheesy. I've read a fair amount of cheesy urban fantasy so that's saying something I think. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
Fool Moon
3.5 Stars

The plot is action packed and exciting and the world building continues to develop with this installment focusing on the various types of wolf-shifters. There is a lot of information and detail that can be confusing at first, but it all makes sense by the end. One of the most compelling aspects of the storyline is that the distinctions between good an evil are not always clear and appearances can be deceiving.

Harry is a very likable protagonist and I enjoy his wit and sarcasm, particularly when he gets into sticky situations. Nonetheless, he has a tendency to come across as weak at times mainly because he is reactive rather than proactive. He waits for things to happen and copes with the fallout rather than seeking out clues and coming up with a workable plan. Moreover, his magic has a bad habit of failing him at precisely the moment he needs it most - what then is the point of his being a wizard?

The secondary characters are interesting bunch. Murphy is seriously annoyed with Harry after the events of Storm Front and while her attitude is understandable, it is disappointing that their friendship is in danger. Harry's relationship with Susan heats up in a completely different way and more details are provided about Elaine, a woman from Harry's past. It will be interesting to see how Harry's love life develops but I'm definitely a Harry/Murphy shipper.

All in all, an entertaining read and I look forward to getting some answers on who is out to get Harry. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This book is even better than the first. This time around Harry is dealing with a wide variety of werewolves.

Sometimes I hate having a conscience, and a stupidly thorough sense of honor.
-Jim Butcher (Fool Moon p 3)
I didn’t want to believe that killing was deep inside of me. I didn’t want to think about the part of me that took a dark joy in gathering all the power it could and using it as I saw fit, everything else be damned. There was power to be had in hatred too, in anger and in lust, in selfishness and in pride. And I knew that there was some dark corner of me that would enjoy using magic for killing—and then long for more. That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos.
-Jim Butcher (Fool Moon p 86)
It’s all right to be afraid. You just don’t let it stop you from doing your job.
-Jim Butcher (Fool Moon p 94)
I can’t be under arrest right now. I don’t have the time.
-Jim Butcher (Fool Moon p 183)
Okay, Harry, I told myself. Keep calm. Do not panic. All you need to do is to hold them here until the cops get here, and then you can bleed to death in peace. Or get a doctor. Whichever hurts less.
-Jim Butcher (Fool Moon p 215)
There’s a point after which one cannot possibly continue doing complicated things like thinking and keeping one’s eyes open.
-Jim Butcher (Fool Moon p 220)
It figured someone else had been trying to kill me the whole while, and I hadn’t really noticed.
-Jim Butcher (Fool Moon p 253)
It was eerie, the way he said the words—so matter-of-fact, calm, rational. There was no doubt in him, when he should have been afraid. Only fools and madmen know that kind of certainty. And I had already noted that he was no fool.
-Jim Butcher (Fool Moon p 299) ( )
  nicolewbrown | Nov 4, 2016 |
Murphy completely ruined this book for me. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
Harry jumps from frying pan to fire and back again so many times in this book that I was almost exhausted by the suspense of it all. However, it did keep my engagement while listening to the audiobook on a long road trip. A bonus to that being the awesome narration of James Marsters. If you have the ability, give this a listen instead of a read. Rated a full star extra because of James. ( )
  EmScape | Sep 12, 2016 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I never used to keep close track of the phases of the moon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458125, Mass Market Paperback)

Could a werewolf be loose in Chicago? Common sense says no. The grisly evidence says yes. So does Harry Dresden. And with his weird connections, he should know.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:51 -0400)

When the corpse of a brutally mutilated murder victim turns up at the time of the full moon, accompanied by some most unusual paw prints, professional wizard and supernatural investigator Harry Dresden finds himself searching Chicago for the werewolf stalking the city.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,663,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible