Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2) by Jim…

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2) (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

Title:Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Chicago, wizard, murder, werewolves, mystery, AD, 13 in 13

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher

Gateways by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (AFHeart)
    AFHeart: Like Dresden, the book is about a loner with parental issues who has natural powers. In the Kate Daniels series she is not used to having friends or trusting others because of her natural magic. Also like Dresden there is sexual tension but realistic, there is violence in fighting demons but it is not gory for the sake of gore. Kate Daniels books have more world building.… (more)
    The Haunted Air by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)

English (182)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (184)
I've no idea why I resisted Harry Dresden for so long. I blame it on temporary insanity, because Jim Butcher's writing is fantastic.
I'm on the second book and it just gets better.

This time Harry has to investigate some gruesome murders done by werewolves, try to avoid enraging his friend, a police detective Karrin Murphy and stay under a radar of FBI and local mafia boss. In most of this he fails miserably. Now FBI and police are gunning for him, Chicago gang leader wants him dead and some supernatural forces want his help... All in all, a normal day for Harry.

I loved how we've got to see different types of werewolves in this book. There are werewolves, lycantropes, hexenwolves and loup-garou. The action is almost non-stop, and poor Harry is just trying to survive and help his friends.

Harry Dresden is a very likable character. He feels alive, he is vulnerable, he suffers for his friends and loved ones, he isn't afraid to cry or describe the tenderness he feels to the woman he loves. He might be socially awkward, but he's got plenty of charm and quiet determination.

If you haven't read anything in these series I urge you to try. They are very good.

Favorite scene: loup-garou in the police department. It was terrifying.

"A little kung fu, a little John Wayne, and a few casual threats. So far, I thought, my nerves jangling, just one more night on the job."

"The loup-garou was a wolf, in the same way that a velociraptor is a bird - same basic design, vastly different outcome." ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |

Cross-posted to Knite Writes

So it’s been several months since the events of Storm Front, and Harry Dresden is struggling to make enough money to live on. Same old, same old.

Then a bunch of people get killed by werewolves. Yes! Harry has something to do!

He attempts to team up with Murphy to help her solve the murders, but of course, that all goes wrong, and she ends up trying to arrest him because she suspects he’s involved in the killings somehow. Apparently, Murphy is incapable of trusting Harry no matter how many times he helps her out. Poor Harry.

Harry ends up in a confusing puzzle involving several different types of werewolves — lycanthropes, who are people with wolf-like instincts and ferocity, a loup-garou, someone cursed to turn into a werewolf and lose his human mind, some kids who shape-shift into wolves with the help of a mysterious woman, and Hexenwulfen, people who have been given special belts that let them turn into wolves. It’s okay if you can’t keep all those straight — just remember there’s a bunch of wolves killing people. That’s basically all that happens in this book.

The loup-garou almost kills all the Special Investigations police (including Carmichael, Murphy’s long-time friend and associate). Harry ends up getting himself kidnapped by the lycanthrope group, has the crap beat out of him, then manages to escape thanks to the timely intervention of Marcone (who spends the novel trying to get Harry to work for him). Then, Harry regroups with the wolf kids and the mystery woman and plans a showdown at Marcone’s place.

Unfortunately, his plan goes awry, and everyone ends up at the mercy of the Hexenwulfen (who turn out to be corrupt FBI agents) and the loup-garou, who’s come to kill Marcone. Harry is forced to use a Hexenwulfen belt, and he almost loses himself to the dark magic, but thanks to Susan showing up, he manages to snap out of it. After a long struggle, he finally defeats the loup-garou using his mother’s pentacle necklace.

And the day is saved! Hooray!

Cue sequel.

My Take

There were a lot of werewolves in this one, if you couldn’t tell by my plot summary. Although that wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I thought bringing together a lot of different werewolf lore was a pretty interesting take on the idea. You could definitely see the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) differences between the groups, which tended to align with their loyalties, desires, and personalities. So the world-building worked pretty well in this installment. Bravo, Butcher.

Like in the first book, Harry tends to be a sarcastic smart ass, which gets him into a lot of trouble but maintains the series’ balance of action/drama and comedy. Without the humor, the books would be a lot darker and uncomfortably morbid at times. I’d probably get too depressed to keep reading if that was the case.

I think Butcher is a doing a great job of slowly building up an overarching story arc within his episodic “monster of the week” style of series writing. He’s careful to make sure that his world and character development continue on a line that make sense for the given situations while also considering backstory that will become more relevant as the series goes on. We get a few good tidbits about Harry’s past here that clarifies the origins of many aspects of his personality. I’m looking forward to getting the complete picture over the course of the next few books.

(Yes, in case you’re wondering, Harry is still a sexist and freely admits it. And women still call him out on it. And it’s still slightly irritating, especially in action/battle scenes. Yes, Harry, I know she’s naked. She’s also turning into a wolf and attacking you, asshole.)

Again, witty, well-paced, easy-to-follow. Butcher doesn’t try for some grand, delicately fashioned style of writing. It’s simple, and it works.

Is It Worth Reading?

Yes. Yes, it is.

ClaraCoulson | Nov 16, 2015 |
Murphy completely ruined this book for me. ( )
  Irena. | Nov 3, 2015 |
The question my goodreads book review section asks is "What did you think?" Well, the answer is, "I thought A LOT!" It's not easy to untangle the thought processes I navigated through as the story unfolded.

I'd initially assigned four stars to this review, then moved it up to five, back to four and (after some soul-searching) back to up to five. Parts of the Dresden Files series are seriously challenging/difficult for me to read; (on a "the reality is . . " level, I'm a survivor of some pretty heavy-duty childhood trauma/abuse). Violence - in any form - factual or fictional - is something I've chosen to step around.

So, why am I reading The Dresden Files series? I love Jim Butcher's "style" . . his writing has a way of drawing the reader into the story and (for me) never failing to make the ride a (fun &) wild one!! As an aside, Fool Moon contained one of the most descriptive/graphic "gore" scenes I've ever come across in a book of fiction . . my stomach flip-flopped to the point that I was grateful I hadn't yet eaten lunch . . but, hey, I survived!!

I highly recommend AUDIOBOOK "reading" for this series!! All in all, the "plop the reader into the plot" writing style combined with James Marsters excellent narration (in spite of a plethora of pronunciation oopsies) brought the book to life . . the one characteristic that will, 98% of the time, garner five stars from me!

Highly recommended if you can handle the gore (difficult to avoid given the premise of this book!). On to book #3 (of fifteen in The Dresden Files series)!! ( )
  idajo2 | Nov 3, 2015 |

• A very slow, very naked path that goes nowhere. Dresden doesn't change one iota.
• An incredible number of awful one-liners.
• I'm hoping #3 is better (I've heard it does by several people).
• A slog of read … More often than not, I fell asleep while trying to make progress. ( )
  ChewingPencils | Oct 21, 2015 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Butcher, Jimmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I never used to keep close track of the phases of the moon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458125, Mass Market Paperback)

Could a werewolf be loose in Chicago? Common sense says no. The grisly evidence says yes. So does Harry Dresden. And with his weird connections, he should know.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:51 -0400)

When the corpse of a brutally mutilated murder victim turns up at the time of the full moon, accompanied by some most unusual paw prints, professional wizard and supernatural investigator Harry Dresden finds himself searching Chicago for the werewolf stalking the city.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible