Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2) by Jim…

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2) (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

6,904208525 (3.89)294
Member:mamzel
Title:Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:2013
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Chicago, wizard, murder, werewolves, mystery, AD, 13 in 13

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher

Gateways by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (AFHeart)
    AFHeart: Like Dresden, the book is about a loner with parental issues who has natural powers. In the Kate Daniels series she is not used to having friends or trusting others because of her natural magic. Also like Dresden there is sexual tension but realistic, there is violence in fighting demons but it is not gory for the sake of gore. Kate Daniels books have more world building.… (more)
    The Haunted Air by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)

English (202)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (204)
I love this series. Harry Dresden is one of the most relatable characters I've ever come across. ( )
  khaddox | May 8, 2016 |
Fool Moon
3.5 Stars

The plot is action packed and exciting and the world building continues to develop with this installment focusing on the various types of wolf-shifters. There is a lot of information and detail that can be confusing at first, but it all makes sense by the end. One of the most compelling aspects of the storyline is that the distinctions between good an evil are not always clear and appearances can be deceiving.

Harry is a very likable protagonist and I enjoy his wit and sarcasm, particularly when he gets into sticky situations. Nonetheless, he has a tendency to come across as weak at times mainly because he is reactive rather than proactive. He waits for things to happen and copes with the fallout rather than seeking out clues and coming up with a workable plan. Moreover, his magic has a bad habit of failing him at precisely the moment he needs it most - what then is the point of his being a wizard?

The secondary characters are interesting bunch. Murphy is seriously annoyed with Harry after the events of Storm Front and while her attitude is understandable, it is disappointing that their friendship is in danger. Harry's relationship with Susan heats up in a completely different way and more details are provided about Elaine, a woman from Harry's past. It will be interesting to see how Harry's love life develops but I'm definitely a Harry/Murphy shipper.

All in all, an entertaining read and I look forward to getting some answers on who is out to get Harry. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 8, 2016 |
The question my goodreads book review section asks is "What did you think?" Well, the answer is, "I thought A LOT!" It's not easy to untangle the thought processes I navigated through as the story unfolded.

I'd initially assigned four stars to this review, then moved it up to five, back to four and (after some soul-searching) back to up to five. Parts of the Dresden Files series are seriously challenging/difficult for me to read; (on a "the reality is . . " level, I'm a survivor of some pretty heavy-duty childhood trauma/abuse). Violence - in any form - factual or fictional - is something I've chosen to step around.

So, why am I reading The Dresden Files series? I love Jim Butcher's "style" . . his writing has a way of drawing the reader into the story and (for me) never failing to make the ride a (fun &) wild one!! As an aside, Fool Moon contained one of the most descriptive/graphic "gore" scenes I've ever come across in a book of fiction . . my stomach flip-flopped to the point that I was grateful I hadn't yet eaten lunch . . but, hey, I survived!!

I highly recommend AUDIOBOOK "reading" for this series!! All in all, the "plop the reader into the plot" writing style combined with James Marsters excellent narration (in spite of a plethora of pronunciation oopsies) brought the book to life . . the one characteristic that will, 98% of the time, garner five stars from me!

Highly recommended if you can handle the gore (difficult to avoid given the premise of this book!). On to book #3 (of fifteen in The Dresden Files series)!! ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
I think I liked this one better than Storm Front, but I think that might be because of my predisposition it liking anything to do with wolves, were or otherwise. I did like how it explored the different types of lycanthropy, if one can call it than in this context. Harry is still doing stupid things, but I have hope that will get better as the series progresses. ( )
  saohicwitch | Apr 21, 2016 |
Repedative character and writing people say this series improves but I'm not sure it's worth putting up with this ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I never used to keep close track of the phases of the moon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458125, Mass Market Paperback)

Could a werewolf be loose in Chicago? Common sense says no. The grisly evidence says yes. So does Harry Dresden. And with his weird connections, he should know.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:51 -0400)

When the corpse of a brutally mutilated murder victim turns up at the time of the full moon, accompanied by some most unusual paw prints, professional wizard and supernatural investigator Harry Dresden finds himself searching Chicago for the werewolf stalking the city.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,786,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible