The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom by Suze…

The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom (1997)

by Suze Orman

Recently added bylittlesquirrel, WendiV, private library, aliashannibal, SFMichaelC, vikzen, jororr38

History of Financial Advice Collection. Suze Orman was especially influential in creating the “practical and spiritual” genre of financial advice that emerged in the 1990s. Her work combines advice about personal financial management, advice on insurance, retirement and 401k plans, credit cards and debts with advice on financial investments, on how to choose mutual funds, on the differences between load and no-load mutual funds and, finally, how to invest directly in the stock market. The book prioritizes the cultivation of the inner self as a financial agent above all: using the language of popular psychology as it promises to show the reader “not just how to confront [their] fears” about money but how to “replace them with new positive truths.” Orman, like Porter before her, was implicitly aimed at the female domestic investor and her books themselves became a big, if often criticized, business.
  LibraryofMistakes | Mar 6, 2018 |
Orman is well known – a certified financial planner, author of several books on managing wealth, and an Emmy-winning television host. The subtitle of this book is: Practical & Spiritual Steps So You Can Stop Worrying.

There isn’t much that’s new here. I’ve followed most of her advice my whole adult life (taught by my parents). Still it was worth it to read through and remind myself of certain aspects, and it opened a discussion with my husband as we plan for retirement.

She includes practical information and clear, understandable definitions of various terms. She also cites some anecdotal stories to illustrate various points, which helps to make the information more accessible to a wider audience.

Readers should be careful which edition of the book they get, however. The first one I picked up from my library was a 1997 edition and some of the tax information in that volume is no longer accurate.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
The 9 steps to financial freedom by Suze Orman
Love the author's advice, have seen her on TV her own show and PBS. She's straight forward knowledge and caring.
Although a bit outdated as laws and rules have changed the basic advice is the same. Good to review yearly.
  jbarr5 | Dec 8, 2015 |
very informative on the topic of money Management and financial freedom.
  margolu | May 14, 2012 |
The 9 steps to financial freedom are: 1. discovering your strange hang-ups about money, 2. getting over your strange hang-ups about money, 3. knowing how much you spend and how much you need to spend, 4. wills/trusts/life and LTC insurance, 5. debt reduction and saving for retirement, 6. investing, 7. charity, 8. accepting a cycle of setbacks and gains, 9. life is not really about your net worth.

Suze Orman is a genius at constructing a narrative about personal finance that makes even estate planning fun to read. ( )
  bexaplex | Jun 3, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0517707918, Hardcover)

When Suze Orman was 13 she watched her father dive into the flames of his burning take-out chicken shack in order to rescue his cash register. In that moment Orman learned that money was more important than life itself. And so it became her quest to be rich. But years later, when Orman became a wealthy broker with a huge investment firm, she was profoundly unhappy. What went wrong? She had not yet achieved financial freedom. In her nine-step program, Orman covers the ingredients to financial success--confronting our beliefs and fears, learning the nuts and bolts (and insiders secrets!) of savvy management, and finding the spiritual trust that leads to abundance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:34 -0400)

Suze Orman goes beyond the nuts and bolts of managing money to explore the psychological, even spiritual, power money has in our lives. Before we can get control of our finances, we must get control of our attitudes about money, feelings that were shaped by our earliest experiences with it. Letting go of these anxieties and creating new attitudes are the first steps of Suze Orman's program. Next comes mastering the practical elements of financial life: investments, credit, insurance, and estate and retirement planning. This book tells you everything you need to know to provide for yourself and your family - not abstract principles but specific, concrete, and easy-to-follow procedures. You'll also learn why you should trust your own instincts more than someone else's advice in making any financial decision. Finally come the most unusual - and powerful - steps: understanding the spiritual side of money. As Suze Orman explains, financial freedom is about realizing that we are worth far more than our money. Her program concludes by showing how to leave behind financial anxieties and open ourselves to true abundance - not only of the pocketbook but also of the heart.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,623,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible