dismiss

The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom by Suze…

The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom (1997)

by Suze Orman

Managing money is far more than balancing checkbooks or picking investments--many of us know what we should do with our money yet often just don't do it. This video gives not only the knowledge of how to handle money, but also the power to break through the barriers that hold us back.

History of Financial Advice Collection. Suze Orman was especially influential in creating the “practical and spiritual” genre of financial advice that emerged in the 1990s. Her work combines advice about personal financial management, advice on insurance, retirement and 401k plans, credit cards and debts with advice on financial investments, on how to choose mutual funds, on the differences between load and no-load mutual funds and, finally, how to invest directly in the stock market. The book prioritizes the cultivation of the inner self as a financial agent above all: using the language of popular psychology as it promises to show the reader “not just how to confront [their] fears” about money but how to “replace them with new positive truths.” Orman, like Porter before her, was implicitly aimed at the female domestic investor and her books themselves became a big, if often criticized, business.
  LibraryofMistakes | Mar 6, 2018 |
Orman is well known – a certified financial planner, author of several books on managing wealth, and an Emmy-winning television host. The subtitle of this book is: Practical & Spiritual Steps So You Can Stop Worrying.

There isn’t much that’s new here. I’ve followed most of her advice my whole adult life (taught by my parents). Still it was worth it to read through and remind myself of certain aspects, and it opened a discussion with my husband as we plan for retirement.

She includes practical information and clear, understandable definitions of various terms. She also cites some anecdotal stories to illustrate various points, which helps to make the information more accessible to a wider audience.

Readers should be careful which edition of the book they get, however. The first one I picked up from my library was a 1997 edition and some of the tax information in that volume is no longer accurate.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
The 9 steps to financial freedom by Suze Orman
Love the author's advice, have seen her on TV her own show and PBS. She's straight forward knowledge and caring.
Although a bit outdated as laws and rules have changed the basic advice is the same. Good to review yearly.
  jbarr5 | Dec 8, 2015 |
very informative on the topic of money Management and financial freedom.
  margolu | May 14, 2012 |
The 9 steps to financial freedom are: 1. discovering your strange hang-ups about money, 2. getting over your strange hang-ups about money, 3. knowing how much you spend and how much you need to spend, 4. wills/trusts/life and LTC insurance, 5. debt reduction and saving for retirement, 6. investing, 7. charity, 8. accepting a cycle of setbacks and gains, 9. life is not really about your net worth.

Suze Orman is a genius at constructing a narrative about personal finance that makes even estate planning fun to read. ( )
  bexaplex | Jun 3, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,736,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible