The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom by Suze…

The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Suze Orman

Member:THCentralPC
Title:The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom
Authors:Suze Orman
Info:Crown Publishers, Inc. (1997), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 288 pages

The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom by Suze Orman (1997)

Orman is well known – a certified financial planner, author of several books on managing wealth, and an Emmy-winning television host. The subtitle of this book is: Practical & Spiritual Steps So You Can Stop Worrying.

There isn’t much that’s new here. I’ve followed most of her advice my whole adult life (taught by my parents). Still it was worth it to read through and remind myself of certain aspects, and it opened a discussion with my husband as we plan for retirement.

She includes practical information and clear, understandable definitions of various terms. She also cites some anecdotal stories to illustrate various points, which helps to make the information more accessible to a wider audience.

Readers should be careful which edition of the book they get, however. The first one I picked up from my library was a 1997 edition and some of the tax information in that volume is no longer accurate.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
The 9 steps to financial freedom by Suze Orman
Love the author's advice, have seen her on TV her own show and PBS. She's straight forward knowledge and caring.
Although a bit outdated as laws and rules have changed the basic advice is the same. Good to review yearly.
  jbarr5 | Dec 8, 2015 |
very informative on the topic of money Management and financial freedom.
  margolu | May 14, 2012 |
The 9 steps to financial freedom are: 1. discovering your strange hang-ups about money, 2. getting over your strange hang-ups about money, 3. knowing how much you spend and how much you need to spend, 4. wills/trusts/life and LTC insurance, 5. debt reduction and saving for retirement, 6. investing, 7. charity, 8. accepting a cycle of setbacks and gains, 9. life is not really about your net worth.

Suze Orman is a genius at constructing a narrative about personal finance that makes even estate planning fun to read. ( )
  bexaplex | Jun 3, 2009 |
This book has a lot of great financial advise. It was very easy to understand and I found it helpful when I was looking at IRA's and 401K's. I would recommend it to anyone who is as clueless as I am about the world of finance. ( )
  lsknightsr1 | Jan 7, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0517707918, Hardcover)

When Suze Orman was 13 she watched her father dive into the flames of his burning take-out chicken shack in order to rescue his cash register. In that moment Orman learned that money was more important than life itself. And so it became her quest to be rich. But years later, when Orman became a wealthy broker with a huge investment firm, she was profoundly unhappy. What went wrong? She had not yet achieved financial freedom. In her nine-step program, Orman covers the ingredients to financial success--confronting our beliefs and fears, learning the nuts and bolts (and insiders secrets!) of savvy management, and finding the spiritual trust that leads to abundance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:34 -0400)

Suze Orman goes beyond the nuts and bolts of managing money to explore the psychological, even spiritual, power money has in our lives. Before we can get control of our finances, we must get control of our attitudes about money, feelings that were shaped by our earliest experiences with it. Letting go of these anxieties and creating new attitudes are the first steps of Suze Orman's program. Next comes mastering the practical elements of financial life: investments, credit, insurance, and estate and retirement planning. This book tells you everything you need to know to provide for yourself and your family - not abstract principles but specific, concrete, and easy-to-follow procedures. You'll also learn why you should trust your own instincts more than someone else's advice in making any financial decision. Finally come the most unusual - and powerful - steps: understanding the spiritual side of money. As Suze Orman explains, financial freedom is about realizing that we are worth far more than our money. Her program concludes by showing how to leave behind financial anxieties and open ourselves to true abundance - not only of the pocketbook but also of the heart.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,528,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible