Small Pig by Arnold Lobel

Small Pig (1969)

by Arnold Lobel

This is a cute story written in 1969. The farmer's wife cleans the mud puddle in the pigpen since she thinks is the dirtiest spot in the whole farm. Small pig is angry with her and decides to run away. Looking for a new mud puddle he arrives to the city, and ends into trouble... Thankfully those who care for him will be

Small pig learns that he is welcome in the farm, that is his home too. The farmer and his wife missed the pig they think is the best pig in the world. They promised to be more tolerant.

This story is good as a trigger to talk about how sometimes it could be differences between persons that love each other, and how is possible to go over them. A little patience and tolerance could be the solution.

The illustrations (made by the author too) are simple (mostly in back, yellow, green and blue) but nice. Some of them are pretty funny. They don't distract the reader.

This is a transitional book. It is not divided in chapters but it has page numbers.

Check out more children's book reviews in my Reviews in Chalk Blog! ( )
  Sanlema | Aug 29, 2015 |
Cute story of a pig who runs away from the farm in search of good, soft mud after the farmer's wife cleans up the barnyard and pigpen. He ends up getting stuck in wet cement in the city before the farmer and his wife rescue him and bring him back to the farm.
  tracybeggs | Jul 15, 2015 |
I loved this book! It was so cute and just a really fun read. I liked this book for a few reasons. I liked this book because of the illustrations. Something I found interesting about the illustrations was that they were all very similarly colored. It seemed as though the colors were the same, but the actions were different. I also liked the shared reading capability of this book just like Arnold Lobel's other book Mouse Soup. It has a consistently repeating phrase throughout the book "Then he sits down, and sinks down, into the good soft mud." The main message of this book is to appreciate what you have at home, I believe. Small Pig runs away when the farmer's wife cleans up his mud, and because of this, ends up in a city stuck in cement. I loved this book and would definitely keep it in my future classroom. ( )
  CRoss13 | Apr 22, 2015 |
Yes it's old, but it's still adorable. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 16, 2014 |

No mud!

Small Pig loves to sit in good, soft mud. When the farmer's wife cleans his pigpen, Small Pig runs away. In the city he finds a new mud puddle—but it is not full of mud at all. And now Small Pig has one big problem!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:49 -0400)

Because the farmer's wife insists on cleaning his mud puddle, a little pig runs away to the city where he becomes permanently stuck in what he thought was a mud puddle.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,833,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible