A Family Apart by Joan Lowery Nixon

A Family Apart is the first book of The Orphan Train Adventure series. The story begins with the six children, Frances, Mike, Danny, Megan, Peg, and Petey Kelly being sent to live with farm families in Missouri by the Children’s Aid Society of New York as their mother is no longer able to care for them. To ensure that the youngest boy, Petey, is not separated from a sibling, the oldest girl Frances disguises herself as a boy so there is a better chance that they will both be taken together by one family. The book mainly tells of the adventures that Frances and Petey encounter with their new family.

I was first introduced to this series when my son was in fourth grade. I can remember us reading the book together and discussing the characters.

Classroom extensions would include using this book as a transition to studying about the culture and environment of 1860, which is the period of time that the book takes place. Another extension would be to use this book as a transition to studying about the origin of trains. ( )
  DavisPamelag | Mar 28, 2011 |
I read this when I was serving on a panel to evaluate juvenile novels for an elementary school. . This book depicts the experience of children sent in an orphan train from New York City to Missouri in the years just before the Civil War. There is some discussion of the politics of slavery during this period, and the children and their foster family get involved on the right side of the Underground Railroad. There is a depiction of the poverty of New York City immigrants, and the effect it has on them physically and emotionally. A good book. No problems. ( )
  baobab | Nov 10, 2010 |
When their mother can no longer support them, six siblings are sent by the Children's Aid Society of New York City to live with farm families in Missouri in 1860.
  prkcs | Oct 8, 2008 |
I think I read this book six times in a row when I was ten. It was that good.
  KatieWallace | Apr 14, 2007 |
This is a wonderful story about a family of six children, Frances, Mike, Danny, Megan, Peg, and Petey, who are sent west on the orphan train by their mother who can't support them. To take care of Petey, the youngest, the eldest girl, Frances, dresses up as a boy so there'll be a better chance of them being taken together. And then what happens? Read the book to find out!

C ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Apr 28, 2006 |
To my friend Dan Weiss
Jennifer shook back her long, dark hair, damp from the summer's heat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:56 -0400)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,396,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible