Freedom from the Known by Jiddu Krishnamurti

Freedom from the Known

by Jiddu Krishnamurti

English (8)  French (1)  All (9)
In my fathers home library, I had seen Jiddu Krishnamurti's books. I never read any of it, but I have heard his Lectures. For those who don't know about Jiddu Krishnamurti, he was a renown modern-day philosopher, speaker and writer on philosophical and spiritual subjects. He specialized on the subjects like "Human nature" & "The Self". Some of his discourses are recorded and available as videos. After hearing some audio version of this book, I decided to download the book into my Nook. In various lists on the internet this book has been spoken highly of, and listed among the books which could change "the perspective of thinking".

Jiddu Krishnamurti's, " Freedom From The Known " is a thin philosophical non-fiction book, containing only 14 Chapters (just 128 pages). The book deals with numerous intellectual subjects. It speaks of the reasonable way to see the world. To recognize ourselves both inwardly and outwardly. The bondage by various elements like love, hatred, fear etc. To put the content of this book in one phrase, the book deals with the "realities of life". The books begins by questioning the human nature. The Man, Mind and the Existence. Then it moves on to more introspections. Subjects like consciousness, pleasure and fear, love, freedom, death, memories and experiences, passion and finally the required revolution. Before we start thinking and analysing on these subjects, separate chapters are provided for the subjects like "What is Thinking ? " and "Observer & the Observed", which will even question our way of thinking and enrich it. Book follows the same pattern of his discourses, i.e like addressing an audience.
I was really impressed by this deeply introspective philosophical book. This book gave me a fresh outlook on the world, and helped me replenish inadequacies in my thinking. After reading this book, I was able the see the world differently. This is one of those books which will change the way you see the world. Even though the book is written in simple English, since the book covers a lot of deep subjects, multiple reads might be required. Like all philosophical essays, it should be read by reserving adequate time for it. This book increases our vision,while the introspection is left to us. Unlike all 'religions' and some 'gurus' who serve ready-made dogma to everybody's questions and blinds people by demanding faith, Jiddu Krishnamurti through "The Freedom From The Known" invites us to think, analyse and realize together the question of our very existence . Highly Recommended. 5 stars.
Read Full Book ( Web Version ) -> FREEDOM FROM THE KNOWN

mahadevan.n.iyer | Mar 7, 2016 |
This is must read book for those who wish to know the philosophy of J Krishnamuthy. It is not easy to understand his thoughts unless you have read couple of his books. This may be the first book to start with. I learned many new ideas and thoughts when I read this book. Krishnamuthy is different than any other philosopher since his thoughts are original and he never quotes from any other book or Scripture for supporting his point of view. ( )
  Awdhesh | Oct 8, 2014 |
In this book, Krishnamurti shows how people can free themselves radically and immediately from the tyranny of the expected, no matter what their age - opening the door to transforming society and their relationships.

About the Author:

Jiddu Krishnamurti or J. Krishnamurti (May 12, 1895–February 17, 1986), was a renowned writer and speaker on philosophical and spiritual subjects. His subject matter included: psychological revolution, the nature of the mind, meditation, human relationships, and bringing about positive change in society. He constantly stressed the need for a revolution in the psyche of every human being and emphasized that such revolution cannot be brought about by any external entity, be it religious, political, or social.

Krishnamurti was born into a Telugu Brahmin family in what was then colonial India. In early adolescence, while living next to the Theosophical Society headquarters at Adyar in Madras, he encountered prominent occultist and high-ranking Theosophist C.W. Leadbeater. He was subsequently raised under the tutelage of Annie Besant and C.W. Leadbeater, leaders of the Society at the time, who believed him to be the likely "vehicle" for an expected World Teacher. As a young man, he disavowed this idea and dissolved the worldwide organization (the Order of the Star) established to support it. He declared allegiance to no nationality, caste, religion, or philosophy, and spent the rest of his life traveling the world as an independent individual speaker, speaking to large and small groups, as well as with interested individuals. He authored a number of books, among them The First and Last Freedom, The Only Revolution, and Krishnamurti's Notebook. In addition, a large collection of his talks and discussions have been published. His last public talk was in Madras, India, in January 1986, a month before his death at his home in Ojai, California.
  Saraswati_Library | Apr 15, 2010 |
"The world accepts and follows the traditional approach. The primary cause of disorder in ourselves is the seeking of reality promised by another; we mechanically follow somebody who will assure us a comfortable spiritual life." To understand one’s self, Krishnamurti believed, is the beginning of wisdom. Understanding is not accepting a description of the view of the world mapped by another no matter how lofty the map maker. Krisnamurti encouraged making your own map. This book should create a revolution within you. It is the start of a fantastic journey.
  shehasreadtoomany | Jan 7, 2010 |
True moments of Meditation!
Primarily understanding the thoughts and their root conditioning... Ultimately starting to realize the self. ( )
  iamdeba | Nov 15, 2009 |

Krishnamurti zegt in de inleiding van dit boek: We kunnen begrip hebben van wat is, wanneer we het zonder rechtvaardiging, zonder vereenzelviging herkennen. Laat ons dus in gedachten houden, dat we dat wensen te onderzoeken, waar te nemen, zonder het te vertolken. Het vereist een scherp verstand en een plooibaar hart om gewaar te zijn van wat is en het te volgen, omdat het voortdurend beweegt, voortdurend verandert. Vanuit dit standpunt worden een twintigtal facetten belicht.Hartstochtelijk pleidooi voor een andere samenleving, waarin schrijver zichzelf en ons allen verantwoordelijk stelt voor alle conflicten en oorlogen.

Krishnamurti shows how people can free themselves radically and immediately from the tyranny of the expected, no matter what their age--opening the door to transforming society and their relationships.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:59 -0400)

In this classic work, Krishnamurti shows how people can free themselves radically and immediately from the tyranny of the unexpected, no matter what their age. Major themes of the book include awareness, man's search and the tortured mind. Previous ed.: London: Gollancz, 1969.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,502,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible