Beyond Einstein: The Cosmic Quest for the…

Beyond Einstein: The Cosmic Quest for the Theory of the Universe

by Michio Kaku, Jennifer Trainer

Considering how many years have passed since this book's publication, it isn't so very bad an introduction to the ideas of particle physics and cosmology, and superstring theory. I won't say it's the most accessible book about heavy science I've read, but it's comprehensive enough and is a good springboard. My edition was purchased in the 80s when the book was newly published, and so is dated, which somewhat amused me. I plan to read another book I picked up with promises to explain the various fields and ideas of physics for dummies like me to grasp before I move on to more books that attempt to bring down these complex thoughts to average joesephines like me. We shall see what sort of success I achieve. ( )
  Murphy-Jacobs | Mar 30, 2013 |
Michio Kaku is very good at writing about highly complex topics in a way that is accessible to the laymen. Beyond Einstein describes the beginning of Superstring Theory and the major players in the field. No mathematics or advanced physics are required to enjoy this book. Just a keen interest to know a bit about superstrings and the potential that this field may have on our understanding of the universe. The book was written about 15 years ago when superstrings were all the rage but the book is still very topical and provides an excellent primer on the science. ( )
  joeteo1 | Jul 14, 2010 |
This is the book that gave me some idea what string theory was about and totally captured my imagination (maybe more and in different ways than Kaku would appreciate). It's a good book for the lay person to understand a liittle about some of what's going on in science. ( )
1 vote Airycat | Nov 30, 2007 |

Michio Kakuprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Trainer, Jennifermain authorall editionsconfirmed
A new theory is rocking the foundations of modern physics, rapidly overturning cherished but obsolete notions about our universe and replacing them with new mathematics of breathtaking beauty and elegance.

Beyond Einstein takes readers on an exciting excursion into the discoveries that have led scientists to the brightest new prospect in theoretical physics today -- superstring theory. What is superstring theory and why is it important? This revolutionary breakthrough may well be the
fulfillment of  Albert Einstein's lifelong dream of a Theory of Everything, uniting the laws of physics into a single description explaining all the known forces in the universe. Co-authored by one of the leading pioneers in superstrings, Michio Kaku, and completely revised and updated with the newest groundbreaking research, the book approaches scientific questions with the excitement of a detective story, offering a fascinating look at the new science that may make the impossible possible.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:04 -0400)

The Cosmic Quest for the Theory of the Universe given by Dr. James Archer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible