Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

Jude the Obscure (edition 2011)

by Thomas Hardy

7,935108637 (3.87)2 / 436
Member:johnhannon
Title:Jude the Obscure
Authors:Thomas Hardy
Info:

Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

English (105)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (108)
Hardy’s last novel was controversial in its time for reasons that are evident in the plot. Victorian morals are repeatedly transgressed, although life punishes the transgressors terribly. I confess finding Sue incredibly irksome even before the tragedy that strikes; her turn to religion just seems to put the final supreme touch of unpleasantness on her character. Jude’s passion for her is difficult to understand. Jude himself walks into trouble repeatedly. “Wait!” I kept thinking. “What are you doing now?” It’s hard to believe at the end that he is only about 30, as he seems to have lived several lifetimes of sorrow. ( )
  NinieB | Nov 1, 2018 |
Warning: this review contains spoilers

****

Jude Fawley, raised by his aunt, dreams of becoming a scholar at Christminster, an Oxford- or Cambridge-like city where the streets are paved with intellectual discussions. Instead, his social standing leads him to the city as a stonemason, and he ends up in an unsuitable marriage: Arabella is not really his type at all, and his aunt had always warned him that Fawleys made terrible marriages in general. So naturally, when he and Arabella end up separating, he finds and falls in love with his cousin, Sue. Great emotional torment and social ostracisation ensue.

This was my first Thomas Hardy novel, which is strange because it was the last novel he wrote. I found it surprisingly readable, and the story pulled me right along even as I was grinding my teeth at how angsty Sue in particular was. I was just as puzzled as Jude when her whole outlook on life changed from the free spirit she was when they first met to the cringing, self-flagellating woman she ended up becoming because of what she thought of as God’s punishment of her. (That punishment — the deaths of the children — was so horrifying that I gasped out loud when they were discovered.) I can see how contemporary readers would have been shocked by some of the behaviour in the book (Richard letting Sue go because she was miserable), and I can imagine that modern readers are shocked by different things (that she goes back to him).

Overall, I found this a pretty good book, worth a try if you’re new to Hardy. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Oct 14, 2018 |
Well, that was a cheery read! ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
Thomas Hardy first gives readers an admirable Jude, his dreams set on becoming a Christminster scholar.

Next follows a set of unusual marriages, a horrific tragedy, and the interminable resultant peculiarities of Sue Bridehead
and Jude's unswerving love for her which lead the tale into a comedy of errors. Too Strange Indeed.

And, though Sue's interminably expressed rights for women on marriage and divorce are definite forerunners to the cause,
it is her ongoing unkindness to Phillotson which shows her true character.

"She little thinks I have out-Sued Sue in this - all in the last twelve hours!" ( )
  m.belljackson | Aug 24, 2018 |
Well, that was depressing.

Beautifully written, scathing commentary by the author on religion and marriage in Victorian England... hard to believe Hardy wrote something so forward-thinking in this time period, and easy to see why it was so badly received then. The novel feels unflinchingly honest, brutal, and sad. Poor Sue. Poor Jude.

If you like fun stories with happy endings, this is not the book you’re looking for. ( )
  sprainedbrain | Aug 12, 2018 |

Thorne, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watts, Cedric ThomasEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jude (1996IMDb)
"The letter killeth"
The schoolmaster was leaving the village, and everybody seemed sorry.

Hardy's masterpiece traces a poor stonemason's ill-fated romance with his free-spirited cousin. No Victorian institution is spared — marriage, religion, education — and the outrage following publication led the embittered author to renounce fiction. Modern critics hail this novel as a pioneering work of feminism and socialist thought.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:07 -0400)

Hardy's last novel caused a public furore when it was first published, with it's fearless and challenging exploration of class and sexual relationships. This edition uses the unbowdlerized first-volume text of 1895, and includes a list for further reading, appendices and a glossary. In his introduction, Dennis Taylor examines biblical allusions and the critique of religion in Jude the Obscure, and it's critical reception that led Hardy to abandon novel writing.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140435387, 0141028890, 0141199830

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,266,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible