A Dictionary of Angels including the Fallen…

A Dictionary of Angels including the Fallen Angels (1967)

by Gustav Davidson

735None12,629 (3.81)2

Alphabetical listing of angels named in literature and Scripture, including the fallen angels. Draws from the Koran, cabalistic writings, poetry, extracanonical sources such as the Books of Enoch, and many others. Excellent reference. ( )
1 vote avanta7 | Apr 24, 2009 |
This is my go-to source whenever I'm writing something with a Judeo-Christian slant. ( )
1 vote bluedream | Apr 9, 2009 |
This is an awesome resource book. Any angel you can think of is listed here - including the fallen! ( )
1 vote ursa_diana | Sep 19, 2008 |
This is one of my favorite time waster books. It is a fascinating, detailed, and exhaustive treatment on the subject of angels and spirits of Judaic, Christian, and Islamic mythologies. The Abrahamic religions I might say. I found the Kabbalah research interesting. It seems that Jewish scholars had an angel for everything, one for every hour of the day and a demon for every hour of the night. That sort of thing; a full delineation of the Powers and Thrones emanating from the all powerful God. Very interesting book, highly recommended. ( )
1 vote cleverusername2 | Oct 28, 2007 |
This book is the go-to reference for anyone wanting to find information on angels. I have several other angel themed "dictionaries" and "encyclopedias", but none are as useful and interesting as Davidson's-- in fact, many get most of their information from this very book anyway. If anyone is seriously interested in angels and angelology, this is a must have reference. The book is worth the price simply for the appendices and bibiography, and the main dictionary makes it even better. This is probably one of the most often used books on my shelf. ( )
1 vote zophiel666 | Sep 11, 2007 |
Introduction:  Some years ago when I started "collecting" angels as a literary diversion, it was certainly with no thought of serving as their archivist, biographer, and finally as their lexicographer.

The result of sixteen years of research in Talmudic, gnostic, cabalistic, apocalyptic, patristic, and legendary texts, the classic reference work on angels is beautifully illustrated and its reissue coincides with the resurgence of belief in angels in America. Simultaneous.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,497,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible