The Dream Keeper and Other Poems by Langston…

The Dream Keeper and Other Poems

by Langston Hughes

Recently added bymscott74, Trock33, drnapoli, kstorey, DebHazen, kwalther, aevans84, Rachel_Akemon, private library

As one of my favorite poets, Langston Hughes did a wonderful job with this book. I would definitely recommend this book to many ages young and old. He has a soft melody to his words that always grabs the attention of the readers. The poem Snail was my favorite! ( )
  Trock33 | Nov 11, 2014 |
Langston Hughes knows how to grab the audience with his personal stories of growing up and his hardships through poetry. ( )
  lnmeadows | Nov 20, 2013 |
Poetry. High level.
Rhyming, metaphors, comparisons.
  TaraMichael | Oct 28, 2013 |
Although Langston Hughes passed on in the 60's, his words stay with us. He was a dreamer, and a huge role model from the Harlem Renaissance. His words allow all children to dream big, and to keep dreaming.
  Backus2 | Sep 6, 2013 |
There’s a child-like simplicity to some of the poems that I found captivating. The poems deal with the challenges in being an African-American—they speak of the joyful as well as painful aspects of living. Themes range from heartbreak, to holding onto dreams despite the burdens we bear as well to the pain of lost dreams. Some are religious in nature and some focus on the beauty of the natural world. One can’t help get the impression that this man, this poet had lived a life of great depth and admire how he was able to fashion something so beautiful from some difficult life experiences. The black and white illustrations that accompany the poem only further enhance what is already a very moving reading experience.
  angelabotha | Jun 10, 2012 |

Langston Hughesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pinkney, J. BrianIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sewell, HelenIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bring me all your dreams,
You dreamers,
Bring me all of your
Heart melodies
That I may wrap them
In a blue cloud-cloth
Away from the too-rough fingers
Of the world.

Illus. in black-and-white. This classic collection of poetry is available in a handsome new gift edition that includes seven additional poems written after The Dream Keeper was first published. In a larger format, featuring Brian Pinkney's scratchboard art on every spread, Hughes's inspirational message to young people is as relevant today as it was in 1932.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:57 -0400)

A collection of sixty-six poems, selected by the author for young readers, including lyrical poems, songs, and blues, many exploring the black experience.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,917,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible