Not Without Laughter by Langston Hughes

Not Without Laughter (1930)

by Langston Hughes

Still brilliant after all these years, and gives more insight into the lives of black people back then (1930s) than most other books of this kind. ( )
  kmstock | Mar 6, 2015 |
Westvaco is the West Virginia Paper Co., makers of fine papers. For 47 years, they did a special Christmas book each year that they distributed to their customers, all featuring works from American history or literature. They all include a decorated slipcover, fine endpapers and many have embossed images on the book covers. Some feature gilt edges and silk ribbon bookmarks. Although they had a limited press run the number is not stated nor are they numbered or signed.
  SteveJohnson | Mar 8, 2014 |
"When you starts hatin' people, you gets uglier than they is - an I ain't never had no time for ugliness, 'cause that's where de devil comes in - in ugliness!"

"...I knows there ain't no room in de world fo' nothin' mo'n love. I knows, chile! Ever'thing there is but lovin' leaves a rust on yo' soul. An' to love sho 'nough, you got to have a spot in yo' heart fo' ever'body - great an' small, white an' black, an' them what's good an' them what's evil - 'cause love ain't got no crowded-out places where de good ones stays an' de bad ones can't come in. When it gets that way then it ain't love." ( )
  elisa.saphier | Apr 2, 2013 |
I had no idea that Langston Hughes had written a novel. I really enjoy his poetry, so I was very excited to find this book.

It is the coming-of-age story of an Africa American boy in Kansas during the early Twentieth Century. Since I'm not African American, I don't really know what that experience is like, but this felt very genuine. It felt as if Hughes perhaps drew on his own early experiences.

This novel has a lot of heart, and there also seems to be a certain rhythm to the writing which I loved. ( )
  bookwoman247 | Feb 24, 2013 |
RGG: Poet of the Harlem Renaissance, Hughes writes a coming-of-age story about a young black boy growing up in Kansas
  rgruberexcel | Sep 3, 2012 |

Langston Hughesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Angelou, MayaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gates Jr., Henry LouisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020209851, Paperback)

Langston Hughes was one of the best-known poets in modern America and his first novel, "Not Without Laughter, " is undoubtedly his finest prose. A classic of African-American literature, it is the poignant story of a young black boy's awakening to the sad and the beautiful realities of black life in a small Kansas town. Published in 1930, "Not Without Laughter" is a pioneering work of fiction, and has been in print ever since. This work is now available in trade paperback with a new introduction by bestselling author and poet Maya Anagelou and a foreword by writer Arna Bontemps.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

Depicts a Black family's attempts to deal with life in a small Kansas town.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,858,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible