Know Why You Believe (Includes Study Guide)…

Know Why You Believe (Includes Study Guide) (edition 1988)

by Paul Little, Marie Little, Joe DeValasco (Illustrator), Kenneth Kantzer (Foreword)

Member:joshualukeparris
Title:Know Why You Believe (Includes Study Guide)
Authors:Paul Little
Other authors:Marie Little, Joe DeValasco (Illustrator), Kenneth Kantzer (Foreword)
Info:InterVarsity Press/Illinois (1988), Edition: 3rd updated, Paperback, 173 pages
Collections:Strathalbyn Cornerstone Team House

Know Why You Believe by Paul E. Little

I was originally attracted to this title because it just felt wrong, disingenuous and backwards. Shouldn't we already know why we believe before espousing a belief? Must we be instructed about why and how to believe? Isn't this putting the cart before the horse? Why must faith be forced in this way? The title unwittingly reinforces a feeling that many skeptics hold; that our adopted faith is an accident of geography. We inherit our deepest beliefs and values from our families and our culture, and works like this just help to reinforce and fill in the missing pieces. The arguments presented herein are predictably one-sided and absent of the opposing arguments asked by alternative belief systems. It's topics span the usual arguments about the authenticity of the Bible, God's involvement in and responsibility for pain and suffering, the threats from modern science, the authenticity of miracles, archeological evidence of scripture and a few others. It is a good summary of the Christian stance on most of these issues, although one gets the impression that mainstream Christianity has moved beyond many of the simplistic answers presented here and that this is a Sunday School variety of apologetics. ( )
  mwhel | Feb 13, 2010 |
"Know Why You Believe" is a simple book that attempts to answer the questions of apologetics. The problem with this book is that it is too narrow-minded. It does not allow for possibilities of evolution or differences in theology. Not extremely helpful for anyone seriously considering apologetics. ( )
  erikssonfamily | Jan 13, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 083082250X, Paperback)

Have you ever askedDo science and Scripture conflict?Are miracles possible?Is Christian experience real?Why does God allow suffering and evil?These questions need solid answers. That's what a million people have already found in this clear and reasonable response to the toughest intellectual challenges posed to Christian belief. This edition, revised and updated by Marie Little in consultation with experts in science and archaeology, provides twenty-first-century information and offers solid ground for those who are willing to search for truth. Including a study guide for individuals or groups, the classic answerbook on Christian faith has never been better!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:41 -0400)

Know Why You Believe will help you think through the answers to such questions as: How do I know there's a God? Are miracles possible? Why is there pain and evil? Know Why You Believe is a thinking person's book by a man regarded by many as one of the best communicators of Christian truth in our day.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,045,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible