The Universe in a Single Atom: The…

The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Dalai Lama

Member:karmabodhi
Title:The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality
Authors:Dalai Lama
Info:Broadway (2006), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:science and buddhism, buddhism, dalai lama

The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality by Dalai Lama XIV (2005)

English (20)  Finnish (1)  All languages (21)
I'm not sure why I wanted to read this, tbh. ?ŠIf I'd seen what is apparently an alternate subtitle: The Universe in a Single Atom: How Science and Spirituality Can Serve Our World, I might have realized without even picking it up that it's not for me. ?√ɬ°It is short and easy to read, so maybe spiritual people can get more out of it than I did. ?√ɬ°

But I got to p. 37 when I met this line: Reality, including our own existence, is so much more complex than objective scientific materialism allows." ?áOk, so it is the same old dogma that I know from Christians, the same old claim that we should 'give up and let god.' ?áI disagree. ?áThe scientific method is the only valid way to get to know the world. ?áIt's the only thing that leads to real advances in medicine, psychology, technology, sociology. ?á If only more politicians and economists applied the scientific method, the world would be a better place. ?á(Studies of history, respect for the traditions of historical precedence, can get us only so far, too, imo. ?áWe must strive to overcome the baser aspects of human nature. ?áWe must, for example, admire the works of Shakespeare for their revelation of the follies that humans have in the past exhibited, and be proud that we no longer [for example] think it's funny to 'Tame the Shrew.')

?áReligion is about faith. ?áIt's just as much of a myth or fairy-tale or hallucinogenic high experience as any of those things more accurately labeled. ?áNo amount of prayer or ritual or service to a god or pope or?ámeditation is going to increase our knowledge of how the world works. ?áThe only real ways that spirituality could 'serve our world' is by serving as a palliative to the fearful and an admonition to the wicked. ?áAnd, since the wicked twist the words of the holy texts to suit their ambitions anyway, and since the fearful would actually be better off if they worked to become?ásmarter and stronger, I can't even allow for that. ?áI'm sure the man means well, but imo it's time for the human race to grow up, to free ourselves from the shackles of tradition."
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
From the dust jacket, " After forty years of study with some of the greatest scientific minds, as well as a lifetime of meditative, spiritual, and philosophical study, the Dalai Lama presents a brilliant analysis of why all avenues of inquiry--scientific as well as spiritual--must be pursued in order to arrive at a complete picture of the truth. Science shows us ways of interpreting the physical world, while spirituality helps us cope with reality. But the extreme of either is impoverishing."
  uufnn | May 10, 2015 |
The Dalai Lama is truly an inspirational and humble man. In this book he takes a look at how Buddhism and science build off each other and how science lends answers to some of life's questions. However, science can not answer some questions and we must still turn to spirituality to pick up the pieces. But as science and our understanding of the universe evolves, so should our understanding of spirituality. I would highly recommend this book to both people who love science and those who barely passed science class. The Dalai Lama managed to relay his ideas and beliefs in a way that anyone can understand and everyone must at least appreciate, even if they don't entirely agree. ( )
  bleached | Apr 15, 2015 |
One of the most interesting books I ever read. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but His Holiness, knowledge and insight of modern science is very impressive. Also his ability to explain both the science and the philosophy of Buddhism, so a lay person can understand it. Also his reasoning of the need of the understanding and explanation of the ethics and morality of the all the rapid advancement’s in science especially in the area of genetics and the potential use and miss use of this technology, but it just not based on spiritual side but also the morality regardless of believes, but based on humanities morality of all people, regardless of their believes, country of origin, nationality.
I highly recommend this book to everyone regardless of your race, creed or believes……. ( )
  teddee1 | Dec 29, 2013 |
Regardless of creed, this book offers food for thought; the Dalai Lama shares his experiences encountering science and technology while engaged in the intensive philosophical and faith-based teaching that was his life from toddlerhood. Filled with personal anecdotes about his experiences around the world, meeting scientists and intelligentsia as well as his own observations on his studies, his faith and his experience in a tumultuous world, The Universe in a Single Atom offers hope that perhaps science and faith need not be at odds with each other. ( )
  puckrobin | Jan 7, 2011 |
I was never myself trained in science.
There are no subjects without objects by which they are defined.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0767920813, Paperback)

Galileo, Copernicus, Newton, Niels Bohr, Einstein. Their insights shook our perception of who we are and where we stand in the world, and in their wake have left an uneasy coexistence: science vs. religion, faith vs. empirical inquiry. Which is the keeper of truth? Which is the true path to understanding reality?

After forty years of study with some of the greatest scientific minds, as well as a lifetime of meditative, spiritual, and philosophic study, the Dalai Lama presents a brilliant analysis of why all avenues of inquiry‚ÄĒscientific as well as spiritual‚ÄĒmust be pursued in order to arrive at a complete picture of the truth. Through an examination of Darwinism and karma, quantum mechanics and philosophical insight into the nature of reality, neurobiology and the study of consciousness, the Dalai Lama draws significant parallels between contemplative and scientific examinations of reality.

This breathtakingly personal examination is a tribute to the Dalai Lama‚Äôs teachers‚ÄĒboth of science and spirituality. The legacy of this book is a vision of the world in which our different approaches to understanding ourselves, our universe, and one another can be brought together in the service of humanity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:44 -0400)

Explains how science and religion can work together to alleviate human suffering, arguing that understanding the connections between science and faith holds the key to achieving peace both within oneself and the world at large.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,715,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible