The Universe in a Single Atom: The…

The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Dalai Lama

Member:karmabodhi
Title:The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality
Authors:Dalai Lama
Info:Broadway (2006), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:science and buddhism, buddhism, dalai lama

The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality by Dalai Lama (2005)

English (17)  Finnish (1)  All languages (18)
One of the most interesting books I ever read. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but His Holiness, knowledge and insight of modern science is very impressive. Also his ability to explain both the science and the philosophy of Buddhism, so a lay person can understand it. Also his reasoning of the need of the understanding and explanation of the ethics and morality of the all the rapid advancement’s in science especially in the area of genetics and the potential use and miss use of this technology, but it just not based on spiritual side but also the morality regardless of believes, but based on humanities morality of all people, regardless of their believes, country of origin, nationality.
I highly recommend this book to everyone regardless of your race, creed or believes……. ( )
  Draco59 | Dec 29, 2013 |
Regardless of creed, this book offers food for thought; the Dalai Lama shares his experiences encountering science and technology while engaged in the intensive philosophical and faith-based teaching that was his life from toddlerhood. Filled with personal anecdotes about his experiences around the world, meeting scientists and intelligentsia as well as his own observations on his studies, his faith and his experience in a tumultuous world, The Universe in a Single Atom offers hope that perhaps science and faith need not be at odds with each other. ( )
  puckrobin | Jan 7, 2011 |
I will admit it took me a long time to read this. Even though I'm a science geek, a lot of the concepts do go over my head. It doesn't make it less interesting, it just takes me longer to try and grasp the concept or just give up and move on.

HHDL takes some of the concepts of science and compares and contrasts them to Buddhist practices. If you are interested in either, then this is probably a good book for you. We're taken through the Big Bang vs the Buddhist beginningless universe, Quantum physics and relativity vs Buddhist emptiness, evolution vs karma, several chapters on sentient consciousness vs neurobiology and finally into genetics vs the entire human race.

In the concepts I did grasp and make notes on, HHDL makes excellent parallels between the scientific world and the spiritual world, something that the majority of religions maintain cannot happen. HHDL is all to happy to point out the similarities and encourage scientific progress, but with warnings of keeping the human compassion and ethics along for the ride.

HHDL has often said that every human on this earth is the same, and should all be treated with compassion. He was essentially proven right when the human genome was finally sequenced.

In his own way, he implores (nicely and gently) for society to get better educated about science so that we don't fear it and so that we do not cross a line. "We must be willing to be revolted when science - or for that matter any human activity - crosses the line of human decency, and we must fight to retain the sensitivity that is otherwise so easily eroded." ( )
  manadabomb | Jan 2, 2011 |
I started reading this around a year ago, but for some reason I've put the book down (I was preoccupied with other things) and I have not picked it up again. I do want to read this book, so I'm holding on to it and hopefully will get to it soon.
  BarbaraNYC | Dec 11, 2010 |
The Dalai Lama takes a look into the world of science and how it affects humanity. From the world of atoms, quantum physics and the cosmos to the consciousness of our minds to genetic engineering, he views many aspects of science and how it relates to mankind. His question that he poses is whether science can provide a comprehensive understanding of the spectrum of reality and human existence. His conclusion is that science is close but it is not complete in being able to stand alone otherwise our existence would be limited to only the facts adduced by science. But together science and spirituality can bring us closer to meet the challenges of humanity and bring us closer to a unified world. ( )
  vibrantminds | Oct 10, 2010 |
I was never myself trained in science.
There are no subjects without objects by which they are defined.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0767920813, Paperback)

Galileo, Copernicus, Newton, Niels Bohr, Einstein. Their insights shook our perception of who we are and where we stand in the world, and in their wake have left an uneasy coexistence: science vs. religion, faith vs. empirical inquiry. Which is the keeper of truth? Which is the true path to understanding reality?

After forty years of study with some of the greatest scientific minds, as well as a lifetime of meditative, spiritual, and philosophic study, the Dalai Lama presents a brilliant analysis of why all avenues of inquiry—scientific as well as spiritual—must be pursued in order to arrive at a complete picture of the truth. Through an examination of Darwinism and karma, quantum mechanics and philosophical insight into the nature of reality, neurobiology and the study of consciousness, the Dalai Lama draws significant parallels between contemplative and scientific examinations of reality.

This breathtakingly personal examination is a tribute to the Dalai Lama’s teachers—both of science and spirituality. The legacy of this book is a vision of the world in which our different approaches to understanding ourselves, our universe, and one another can be brought together in the service of humanity.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:50 -0400)

Explains how science and religion can work together to alleviate human suffering, arguing that understanding the connections between science and faith holds the key to achieving peace both within oneself and the world at large.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,574,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible