Little Altars Everywhere: A Novel by Rebecca…

Little Altars Everywhere: A Novel (original 1992; edition 2005)

by Rebecca Wells

Member:sandykaypax
Title:Little Altars Everywhere: A Novel
Authors:Rebecca Wells
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2005), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:chick lit, Southern

Little Altars Everywhere by Rebecca Wells (1992)

Recently added byKoren56, zuzamiller, LouisaK, flsusan

English (38)  Spanish (1)  All languages (39)
See my review of [Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood] as I read these two books back-to-back ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 8, 2016 |
I started this book knowing that it was the first one in the series of the Ya-Ya's. I had read the Devine Secrets a couple of years ago and wanted to start from the beginning, something I'm doing with all of the series' that I have started somewhere in the middle. I loved the Devine Secrets, more than the movie but still just as good.

This book goes into not just the life of Siddalee Walker but rather the lives of all of the family member, Vivi, Shep, Little Shep, Lulu, and Baylor as well as the Letta and Chaney, the two people in their lives that were there for them when their parents weren't. If anyone has read the Devine Secrets, they know what kind of life the children were put through. However, I liked seeing it from the point of view of Shep and Vivi too. See how they reacted to the things that happened as well as how it affected their relationship as well.

Overall, I'm glad that I read this one second, and not first originally. I think that it gives a great back story to the characters as well as sets up the scene and makes things enjoyable for reading. I thought it was a well written piece and actually want to re-read Devine Secrets as well as read Ya-Ya's in Bloom. ( )
  alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |

alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |
Little Altars Everywhere is the story of a seriously dysfunctional family in which the parents abuse their four children. Each section is told from the point of view of a different person, and is a description of something that person remembers from their past and how it affects him or her in the present.

This book wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t particularly good, either. All of the characters had serious weaknesses and could not cope with them well enough to function normally in the world. It made me uncomfortable to read about how badly the parents had messed up their and their children’s lives.
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
I lived in Alexandria, Louisiana and knew many of the living people portrayed in this book at the time I read it. Bought my liquor at the liquor store with the neon angel. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |
Everything in life that we really accept undergoes a change. So suffering must become love. That is the mystery. - Katherine Mansfield
To Thomas Schworer, my beloved
Thomas Wells, my brother
T.G., my guide
and
Lodi, my home soil
In my dream, I'm five years old again and it's a summer night at our camp at Spring Creek.
Cleanliness might be next to godliness, but honey let me tell you, ugliness will get you nowhere.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060759968, Paperback)

"It can wear you to a nub, trying to be a popular person and a good Catholic all at the same time." So says Sidda, one of the characters inhabiting Little Altars Everywhere. Author Rebecca Wells uses her considerable acting talent to perform this abridgment, adding even more spark to her already lively characters. Everyone--Shep, Vivi, Willetta, and the rest--is given a distinct voice, and Wells plays each of them to the hilt. More like a recording of a one-woman show than a mere reading, Altars is an excellent example of how entertaining audiobooks can be. (Running time: 3 hours, 2 cassettes) --C.B. Delaney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:48 -0400)

The Walker clan, Vivi and Big Shep; their children Sidda, Little Shep, Lulu, and Baylor; Vivi's long-time girlfriends the Ya-Yas; and neighbors Cheney and Willetta, live out their lives in flamboyant and secretive style in the bayou of Thorton, Louisiana.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,124,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible