Take Joy: A Book for Writers by Jane Yolen

Take Joy: A Book for Writers (edition 2003)

by Jane Yolen

Member:fish1861
Title:Take Joy: A Book for Writers
Authors:Jane Yolen
Info:Writer, Inc. (2003), Paperback, 181 pages
Tags:Writing, Finished

Take Joy: A Book for Writers by Jane Yolen

I picked this one up because I've liked Yolen's fiction, but I'm not sure I'd keep it if I did another culling of my writing books. I'm not sure where the weaknesses are for me, but I did find myself skipping sections. ( )
  riani1 | Mar 2, 2010 |
Most of all, I appreciate Chapter 13: An Eruption of Poppies, which is about incorporating landscape into your stories. This is a topic I haven't seen much of in other books on writing. I enjoyed being able to read about writing without being asked to do exercises every few pages (think essay collection, not instruction manual), and I like her attitude toward writing (see the title, plus the summary above). But except for Chapter 13, I don't know as I'll remember much about this book six months from now except for a pleasant feeling of, "Yeah, I liked it." ( )
  Silvernfire | Jun 21, 2009 |
This has turned out to be the best sort of inspiration/tutorial hybrid. Meaning that I couldn't imagine the existence of such an animal before reading this.

Ms. Yolen shares anecdotes and advice in the midst of explaining exactly what she thinks a plot should be, and the stages of story, and what should be paid attention to in each case. Only she also cautions against assuming that all stories, or authors, will happen the same way. Or be chopped up into these particular pieces.

The inspiration I think I will carry with me, and refer to when I've read something amazing written by another and despair at my own efforts (should that be the mood I'm in), but also to alleviate the business sense that writing has taken on as I learn more about the publishing industry.

Write for the joy of it. Ms. Yolen is very wise to say so. ( )
  storyjunkie | Oct 23, 2007 |
The gloom of the world is but a shadow, and yet within our reach is joy. Take joy! -- Fra Giovanni
For my husband David, my first and still my best editor.
There are writers who believe that writing is agony, and that's the best anyone can say of it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,918,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible