Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Lonesome Dove (1985)

by Larry McMurtry

6,0371741,021 (4.55)1 / 758
Recently added byalikhtarov, BookLove80, private library, yhgail, iceiris, magnifiedapples, jlnkmn, MTL
    Shane by Jack Schaefer (mcenroeucsb)
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Western
    News of the World by Paulette Jiles (Ciruelo)
    The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy (paulkid)
    paulkid: Epic Westerns set in Texas and Mexico, McMurtry is more somber, McCarthy more dark.
    The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both have a wonderful, authentic flavor of the old west.
    The New Mexico Trilogy by John Nichols (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Much more enjoyable!

Have to go back to it.
  adrianburke | Jan 26, 2019 |
Former Texas Rangers, Gus McCrae and Woodrow Call had a place of honor in cleaning the bandits and Indians out of Texas. Even in retirement, the are still renowned for their deeds. But Texas has become civilized and life has gotten boring on their ranch just north of the Mexican border.

So when they hear a casual suggestion about how good it could be to establish the first cattle outfit in Montana, it sounds downright interesting. They head south of the border and round up three thousand cattle and the requisite number of horses from a dead bandit so they can make the drive north.

This is an epic novel. Gus and Call are more than just well rounded – they play off each other well, and are the crux of the story. But they also have an entire entourage of interesting characters going along with them on the drive and traveling through the empty areas in between.

The plot is full of twists and turns; unexpected death happens swiftly in a land full of danger. There are scenes you will never forget – including a nest of water moccasins that I remembered from watching the mini series 30 years ago.

A great story, a sweeping canvas. I was sorry when it ended. ( )
  streamsong | Jan 18, 2019 |
So this was a BOTM book. I had seen the miniseries when I was a child and vaguely remembered liking it but I didn’t remember any details, which is nice because I can take a fresh view of the book. I thought I would like this book, I didn’t. I didn’t absolutely hate it, but I wish I had checked it out of the library rather than purchasing it.

The book is originally set in Texas and is the story of a cattle drive to Montana by group that is led by retired Texas Rangers Call and Gus. They have two of their fellow companions Deets and Pea Eye, and a young boy with them. Plus some hands they hired on. Along for the ride but separate are another of the former Ranger Jake and whore Lorena. The description to Lonesome Dove Texas and the characters were so bleak. The characters felt depressing and dull, Lorena is hopeless, the hands are witless, the landscape is god awful. Thankfully, that feeling only lasted until about chapter 8 or this would have been a really long read.

See the rest of my review at http://adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com/2013/04/lonesome-dove-by-larry-mcmu... ( )
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |
A friend gave me this book in a book exchange. She picked it out for me. She told me she knew I would enjoy it.

This really is a story of epic proportions. It sounds like "just a western," but McMurtry is a matter at character development without ever becoming preachy. I enjoyed the whole thing. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Aug 1, 2018 |
Although published in 1985, Lonesome Dove was conceived and begun in 1972 - it's kin with other big historical revisionism epics of the 70s like Roots. McMurtry asserts he was writing an Inferno in the Western genre, and if one looks beyond the likeable characters (eg. Gus) this is indeed a bleak story of death and suffering, abandon all hope ye who enter. A land where bones lay stacked deep and one reaps what one sows. There are quite a few allusions to Dante though it's not so simple as a retelling. McMurtry didn't write a grand romantic Western epic or wistful remembrance of a former golden age, it's a downright hellish nightmare vision of the West that, if it ever existed, is gladly gone and buried. ( )
  Stbalbach | Jul 9, 2018 |
All of Mr. McMurtry's antimythic groundwork -his refusal to glorify the West - works to reinforce the strength of the traditionally mythic parts of ''Lonesome Dove,'' by making it far more credible than the old familiar horse operas. These are real people, and they are still larger than life. The aspects of cowboying that we have found stirring for so long are, inevitably, the aspects that are stirring when given full-dress treatment by a first-rate novelist. Toward the end, through a complicated series of plot twists, Mr. McMurtry tries to show how pathetically inadequate the frontier ethos is when confronted with any facet of life but the frontier; but by that time the reader's emotional response is it does not matter - these men drove cattle to Montana!

added by Stir | editNew York Times, Necholas Lemann (Jun 9, 1985)

All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream.
T.K. Whipple, Study Out the Land
For Maureen Orth,
and
In memory of
the nine McMurtry boys
(1878-1983)
"Once in the saddle they
Used to go dashing . . ."
When Augustus came out on the porch the blue pigs were eating a rattlesnake—not a very big one.
Fictions - in my case, novels only, to the tune of about thirty - starts in tactile motion; pecking out a few sentences on a typewriter; sentences that might encourage me and perhaps a few potential readers to press on. (Preface)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067168390X, Mass Market Paperback)

Larry McMurtry, in books like The Last Picture Show, has depicted the modern degeneration of the myth of the American West. The subject of Lonesome Dove, cowboys herding cattle on a great trail-drive, seems like the very stuff of that cliched myth, but McMurtry bravely tackles the task of creating meaningful literature out of it. At first the novel seems the kind of anti-mythic, anti-heroic story one might expect: the main protagonists are a drunken and inarticulate pair of former Texas Rangers turned horse rustlers. Yet when the trail begins, the story picks up an energy and a drive that makes heroes of these men. Their mission may be historically insignificant, or pointless--McMurtry is smart enough to address both possibilities--but there is an undoubted valor in their lives. The result is a historically aware, intelligent, romantic novel of the mythic west that won the 1986 Pulitzer Prize for fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:13 -0400)

Presents a love story and an epic of the frontier, richly authentic that makes readers laugh, weep, dream and remember

Current discussions

MARCH GROUP READ - Lonesome Dove in Club Read 2019

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,636,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible