Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Lonesome Dove (original 1985; edition 1990)

by Larry McMurtry

4,639None1,025 (4.57)417
Member:gaskella
Title:Lonesome Dove
Authors:Larry McMurtry
Info:Pan Books (1990), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 960 pages
Tags:Fiction, TBR, Western

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (1985)

In general I'm not a fan of Westerns. I pretty much begin and end with Woody from Toy Story. But I decided to read Lonesome Dove when I found out it was my father-in-law's favorite book, and I'm very glad that I did.

To summarize the plot would not do it justice, because it is the characters, breathing life onto every page, that make the story worthwhile. They felt like real people, whose wants and needs were important to me, and I ached and rejoiced with them.

I have a few other western novels on my shelves, and I might actually read them now. This was a book that opened up an entire genre to me, and I look forward to reading it again in the future. ( )
  shabacus | Feb 25, 2014 |
A brilliant epic and a western. ( )
  JK135 | Feb 24, 2014 |
So this was a BOTM book. I had seen the miniseries when I was a child and vaguely remembered liking it but I didn’t remember any details, which is nice because I can take a fresh view of the book. I thought I would like this book, I didn’t. I didn’t absolutely hate it, but I wish I had checked it out of the library rather than purchasing it.

The book is originally set in Texas and is the story of a cattle drive to Montana by group that is led by retired Texas Rangers Call and Gus. They have two of their fellow companions Deets and Pea Eye, and a young boy with them. Plus some hands they hired on. Along for the ride but separate are another of the former Ranger Jake and whore Lorena. The description to Lonesome Dove Texas and the characters were so bleak. The characters felt depressing and dull, Lorena is hopeless, the hands are witless, the landscape is god awful. Thankfully, that feeling only lasted until about chapter 8 or this would have been a really long read.

See the rest of my review at http://adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com/2013/04/lonesome-dove-by-larry-mcmu... ( )
  Serinde24 | Dec 4, 2013 |
I didn't know I would like a western novel so much. Rich characters. ( )
  quixoposto | Nov 8, 2013 |
I'm not sure I've much to add to what (little) I have already stated. This is simply one of the best novels I've ever read. The book is infinitely more than a 900 page cattle drive. If you haven't read this book you are missing out on a gem.

Original Review: Absolutely phenomenal (better review forthcoming) ( )
  dtn620 | Sep 22, 2013 |
All of Mr. McMurtry's antimythic groundwork -his refusal to glorify the West - works to reinforce the strength of the traditionally mythic parts of ''Lonesome Dove,'' by making it far more credible than the old familiar horse operas. These are real people, and they are still larger than life. The aspects of cowboying that we have found stirring for so long are, inevitably, the aspects that are stirring when given full-dress treatment by a first-rate novelist. Toward the end, through a complicated series of plot twists, Mr. McMurtry tries to show how pathetically inadequate the frontier ethos is when confronted with any facet of life but the frontier; but by that time the reader's emotional response is it does not matter - these men drove cattle to Montana!

added by Stir | editNew York Times, Necholas Lemann (Jun 9, 1985)

All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream. T.K. Whipple, Study Out the Land
For Maureen Orth,
and
In memory of
the nine McMurtry boys
(1878-1983)
"Once in the saddle they
Used to go dashing . . ."
When Augustus came out on the porch the blue pigs were eating a rattlesnake—not a very big one.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067168390X, Mass Market Paperback)

Larry McMurtry, in books like The Last Picture Show, has depicted the modern degeneration of the myth of the American West. The subject of Lonesome Dove, cowboys herding cattle on a great trail-drive, seems like the very stuff of that cliched myth, but McMurtry bravely tackles the task of creating meaningful literature out of it. At first the novel seems the kind of anti-mythic, anti-heroic story one might expect: the main protagonists are a drunken and inarticulate pair of former Texas Rangers turned horse rustlers. Yet when the trail begins, the story picks up an energy and a drive that makes heroes of these men. Their mission may be historically insignificant, or pointless--McMurtry is smart enough to address both possibilities--but there is an undoubted valor in their lives. The result is a historically aware, intelligent, romantic novel of the mythic west that won the 1986 Pulitzer Prize for fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:54 -0400)

Presents a love story and an epic of the frontier, richly authentic that makes readers laugh, weep, dream and remember

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,447,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible