Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Lonesome Dove (original 1985; edition 1990)

by Larry McMurtry

Member:gaskella
Title:Lonesome Dove
Authors:Larry McMurtry
Info:Pan Books (1990), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 960 pages
Tags:Fiction, TBR, Western

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (1985)

Shane by Jack Schaefer (mcenroeucsb)
    The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy (paulkid)
    paulkid: Epic Westerns set in Texas and Mexico, McMurtry is more somber, McCarthy more dark.
    All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (sturlington)
    The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both have a wonderful, authentic flavor of the old west.
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Western
    The New Mexico Trilogy by John Nichols (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Much more enjoyable!
    The Cowboy and the Cossack by Clair Huffaker (shesinplainview)

Best Western bar none. Also, a great movie.[br/][br/]jerry-book ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is one of the best books I've ever read --TWICE. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
This is one of the best books I've ever read --TWICE. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
5***** and a ❤

An epic saga of the American West. Gus McCrae and Capt Woodrow Call are long-time friends and fellow Rangers who have rid South Texas of the Comanches and now are settled with a livery and horse trading business along the Rio Grande in Lonesome Dove Texas. But Call has an itch to conquer anew and so they assemble a herd of nearly 3,000 cattle and begin the drive to Montana. The landscape and weather are as important as any of the other characters. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 20, 2016 |
Gus McCrae and W.G. Call are former Texas Rangers with a small ranch on the Rio Grande. Their former partner Hake Spoon shows up, fleeing a sheriff after him for murder, and the group decides to perform the first ever cattle drive to Texas. Some parts of the book were exciting but it took forever, over 200 pages, for the action to get started. I also dislike that the majority of characters I actually cared about end up dead. I wish the book focused more on McCrae and call and left out some of the side stuff. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
All of Mr. McMurtry's antimythic groundwork -his refusal to glorify the West - works to reinforce the strength of the traditionally mythic parts of ''Lonesome Dove,'' by making it far more credible than the old familiar horse operas. These are real people, and they are still larger than life. The aspects of cowboying that we have found stirring for so long are, inevitably, the aspects that are stirring when given full-dress treatment by a first-rate novelist. Toward the end, through a complicated series of plot twists, Mr. McMurtry tries to show how pathetically inadequate the frontier ethos is when confronted with any facet of life but the frontier; but by that time the reader's emotional response is it does not matter - these men drove cattle to Montana!

added by Stir | editNew York Times, Necholas Lemann (Jun 9, 1985)

All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream.
T.K. Whipple, Study Out the Land
For Maureen Orth,
and
In memory of
the nine McMurtry boys
(1878-1983)
"Once in the saddle they
Used to go dashing . . ."
When Augustus came out on the porch the blue pigs were eating a rattlesnake—not a very big one.
Fictions - in my case, novels only, to the tune of about thirty - starts in tactile motion; pecking out a few sentences on a typewriter; sentences that might encourage me and perhaps a few potential readers to press on. (Preface)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067168390X, Mass Market Paperback)

Larry McMurtry, in books like The Last Picture Show, has depicted the modern degeneration of the myth of the American West. The subject of Lonesome Dove, cowboys herding cattle on a great trail-drive, seems like the very stuff of that cliched myth, but McMurtry bravely tackles the task of creating meaningful literature out of it. At first the novel seems the kind of anti-mythic, anti-heroic story one might expect: the main protagonists are a drunken and inarticulate pair of former Texas Rangers turned horse rustlers. Yet when the trail begins, the story picks up an energy and a drive that makes heroes of these men. Their mission may be historically insignificant, or pointless--McMurtry is smart enough to address both possibilities--but there is an undoubted valor in their lives. The result is a historically aware, intelligent, romantic novel of the mythic west that won the 1986 Pulitzer Prize for fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:13 -0400)

Presents a love story and an epic of the frontier, richly authentic that makes readers laugh, weep, dream and remember

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,086,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible