Dead Irish by John Lescroart

Dead Irish (1989)

by John Lescroart

I like Lescroart's books but this one was not a favorite of mine. I listened to it on a recent trip and it kept me interested but not invested in the characters or their story. I have read later Dismas Hardy books from this series and enjoyed them more than this first the series. I would give it 3.5 stars. ( )
  WeeziesBooks | Jun 15, 2018 |
3.5 stars. This book was great. I needed a new author to follow and Lescroart provided me with a new character to puzzle over. Dismas Hardy is a hard drinking, former attorney turned bartender/private eye. Like all the best of his ilk, he is flawed in ways that drive you as a reader crazy but that make his story and motivations far more interesting. He has a complicated relationship with his ex and with himself.

The owner of the bar where he works asks Diz to investigate a case related to a family member. The cops are calling it suicide, the family is calling it murder. And while there are some who have motive, these are not clear cut or at all obvious which complicates the case.

The story is set in San Francisco evoking those old Chandler settings with a modern twist. But I loved the fog rolling in and the tours of neighbourhoods where suspects live and work.

This book has a lot of twists and turns and does not forecast the ending so that just a few pages in, you keep changing your suspect list. Right up to the end. Diz’s favorite weapon seems to be a cast iron skillet and frankly, it’s refreshing to see someone bashed over the head the old fashioned way instead of just shot. It lends nostalgia I guess!

The book does start a bit slow. I stuck with it and it picked up fast. It is more character than action driven so it requires a lot of patience to listen to Diz’s inner dialogue. This is the first book in the series so I am guessing that the deeper you go into the series, the more Diz will evolve and that is something important to remember with these series books. Main characters almost never start out fully rounded but become so over time.

I can’t write much more because of the plot twists. But if you love a series with a good flawed main character, this one is for you! ( )
  ozzie65 | Aug 27, 2017 |
The perspective changes are abrupt...making it kind of difficult to follow. still an ok read....looking forward for other books in the series. ( )
  razzzat | Oct 3, 2016 |
Book Description The first Dismas Hardy novel by the New York Times bestselling author of The Fall, The Keeper, and The Ophelia Cut... In his new life as a bartender at the Little Shamrock, Dismas Hardy is just hoping for a little peace. He's left both the police force and his law career behind. Unfortunately it's not as easy to leave behind the memory of a shattering personal loss-but for the time being, he can always take the edge off with a stiff drink and round of darts. But when the news of Eddie Cochran's death reaches him, Hardy is propelled back into all the things he was trying to escape. Now he must untangle a web of old secrets and raw passions, for the sake of Eddie's pregnant widow Frannie--and for the others whose lives may still be at risk.

My Review I like the character of Dismas Hardy and this novel was very entertaining. The only thing wrong about this book was the thin plot and too many subplots that didn't seem necessary. Other than that, I liked the characters and they did seem believable. Since this is the first in the series, I will read the second book and give Lescroart another chance. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
An okay book. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
"I have certainly known more men

destroyed by the desire to have a wife and child

and keep them in comfort than I have seen

destroyed by drink."

—WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS
To my mother,

Loretta Therese Gregory Lescroart,

and, again, to Lisa,

with love
From his aisle seat, Dismas Hardy had a clear view of the stewardess as her feet lifted from the floor.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451214277, Mass Market Paperback)

In his new life as a bartender at the Little Shamrock, Dismas Hardy is just hoping for a little peace. He's left both the police force and his law career behind. Unfortunately it's not as easy to leave behind the memory of a shattering personal loss-but for the time being, he can always take the edge off with a stiff drink and round of darts. But when the news of Eddie Cochran's death reaches him, Hardy is propelled back into all the things he was trying to escape. Now he must untangle a web of old secrets and raw passions, for the sake of Eddie's pregnant widow Frannie-and for the others whose lives may still be at risk.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:18 -0400)

When the boss of ex-cop Dismas Hardy begins an investigation into the alleged suicide of his brother-in-law, also a friend of Hardy, Hardy steps in to help and becomes privy to the lives of the victim's family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,963,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible