The Third Circle by Amanda Quick

The Third Circle

by Amanda Quick

Series: The Arcane Society (4)

Recently added byjambavat, kybunnies, Tenb, Bugetta, private library, CorinasQuill

I enjoyed this book. It was the second book in the Arcane Society series according to the reader's list of order in reading this series. This story involves a crystal worker, Leona Hewitt, who encounters Thaddeus Ware. Thaddeus is a mesmerist (person that induce a hypnotic state in another person). Thaddeus fears for Leona's safety because she has disappeared with a crystal that both were after. That sets the stage for another part of the mystery surrounding the Arcane Society.

I enjoyed the story mainly because I like the characters and for the fact that it continues unraveling the secrets about a long ago formula that both good and bad elements of the Arcane Society are trying to find. ( )
  DunnFunKat | Oct 21, 2013 |
The Third Circle
3.5 Stars

Synopsis:
After stumbling across a corpse, Leona Hewitt and Thaddeus Ware discover that they are both seeking the same paranormal artifact – the Aurora Crystal. Unfortunately, they are not the only ones and must soon work together in order to thwart the machinations of a crazed scientist, a monstrous serial killer and a power hungry aristocrat.

Review:
In general, the premise behind the Arcane Society series is intriguing and the books are light and entertaining. Nevertheless, I find myself enjoying the contemporary installments more than the historical.

Leona is a spirited and independent heroine and Thaddeus is a lonely and semi-tortured hero. Unfortunately, their romance is subdued and had very little development beyond the fact that they meet and feel they share a profound connection. Moreover, Amanda Quick’s signature wit and banter is also missing from their relationship.

The suspense plot is unremarkable and even mundane. There are a few tense moments, such as Thaddeus’s encounter with the serial killer and Leona’s abduction, but these ultimately fizzle out. The only interesting aspects revolve around the additional information provided on the Jones family history and the establishment of organizations that appear in the contemporary books in the series.

Overall, The Third Circle is a relatively satisfying read especially for those who are working their way through the series. Hopefully, the next installment will be more substantial. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Apr 2, 2013 |
I haven’t read any of the previous books, so I was coming into this mid-series cold turkey. Overall, it worked as a standalone book since it focused primarily on the romance of Leona and Thaddeus although I think it would have helped if I had read the others before it. There were references to previous characters and plot points that I didn’t know too much about but it didn’t hamper my enjoyment of the story too much.

I have read other Amanda Quick novels so I’m familiar with her writing style. This book falls in line with her other novels. Quick seems to be repetitive with certain phrases in her books and she, of course, delivered on this one. Usually her characters have some kind of instant attraction from the start. With this one the chemistry was good between the hero and heroine, but I felt like it happened too quick which led to less of a build up and tension and less passion. Although I must admit there was one sex scene in particular that was pretty hot.
  Jaguar897 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Finished this on the plane ride home from East coast. Excellent vacation reading - I loved watching the foundations for the contemporary Arcane Society just getting built in this book. The jumping among time frames really works for the series so far and I wasn't sure it would; we'll see how it continues to hold up as the series progresses. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
I love everything this writer does, under any of her many names. This series is different because the books written as Quick at historicals and the ones written as Krentz are contemporarys. But the same types of things happen - the historicals are setting up the structure and the contemporarys are working within that structure. Fascinating. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |

Amanda Quickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Manzano Migliozzi, PabloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Amanda Quick also writes Arcane Society novels under her real name of Jayne Ann Krentz and pen name Jayne Castle.

Attempting to recover a relic stolen from her family years ago, gifted crystal worker Leona Hewitt secretly makes her way into Lord Delbridge's private museum. But the man she finds there is more entrancing than the crystal she seeks .. .

Thaddeus Ware is a mesmerist with powerful psychic energy--an energy that doesn't seem to be affecting the woman before him. Instead, Leona seems to exert a rather hypnotic power over the hypnotist himself. After she gives him the slip, absconding with the crystal they recovered, Thaddeus fears for her safety. For he is on assignment for the secretive Arcane Society and knows that the crystal holds the potential to cause great destruction. It is the key to Lord Delbridge's membership in a shadowy group known as the Third Circle. The nobleman has killed before to acquire the crystal, and Thaddeus has no doubt that he will kill again ..

From The New York Times bestselling author of White Lies, Amanda Quick's new Arcane Society novel reveals the passionate—and paranormal—secrets of proper Victorian London.

Leona Hewitt, a gifted crystal worker, isn't the only one sneaking into Lord Delbridge's private museum to recover a relic. Thaddeus Ware, a mesmerist with psychic gifts, is on a similar mission. Neither one of them has any idea that this relic—a rare ancient crystal—will lead them in a deadly chase where danger and desire await.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:29 -0400)

In this new Arcane Society novel set in Victorian England, Leona Hewitt, a gifted crystal worker, isn't the only one sneaking into Lord Delbridge's private museum to recover a relic. Thaddeus Ware, a mesmerist with psychic gifts, is on a similar mission. Neither one of them has any idea that this relic--a rare ancient crystal--will lead them in a deadly chase where danger and desire await.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible