The Blue Carbuncle by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Blue Carbuncle (1892)

by Arthur Conan Doyle

Series: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (7)

Cute short Holmes mystery. Because it was so short, you really didn't get a chance to fall into the story like Doyle's longer works. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
A little Christmas story free from audible. A little grace handed out by Sherlock to one unfortunate man and a would be crook. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |
A short story or novella that I enjoyed, but didn't have much to it. I did enjoy turning over the word "carbuncle" in my mind. It is a word that we don't hear very often and certainly don't attribute to beautiful gems. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
A classic Holmes story, and a classic reader. While I'm not a huge fan of Holmes, I've always enjoyed Alan Cumming's performances. He makes this one of the best readings I've heard in a long time. He distinguishes voices very clearly, and makes characters of different classes sound eerily accurate. The story, while not complex, is interesting. Really, though, it's the reading that makes it all worthwhile. If you can, get this edition. ( )
  grothenberger | Apr 11, 2013 |
This was a free audiobook from Audible for the holiday season, and the fact that Alan Cumming was the narrator is the only reason I downloaded it. I am not a huge fan of the Sherlock Holmes canon, but I adore Alan Cumming and thought he would be an excellent test to see how deep my dislike of Holmes runs. Even with Mr. Cumming’s wonderful performance - always energetic and delightful - Sherlock Holmes is not for me. Everything others love about him – his curiosity, his bombast, his superiority complex - do nothing to make him a fascinating character for me, and I felt all three negative character attributes were on full display in this particular adventure. The mystery of the Blue Carbuncle is interesting if only because the strange events that oblige Holmes to get involved are so unusual and widely circumstantial. Because it takes less than an hour to listen to the entire mystery, it was not a complete waste of time, and Holmes’ fans will enjoy Mr. Cummings’ enthusiastic performance. For me, it was a good test that the Sherlock Holmes stories are ones I would do well to avoid.
  jmchshannon | Feb 24, 2013 |

Arthur Conan Doyleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cumming, AlanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Two-time Emmy Award nominee (The Good Wife) and Audie Award winner for best narrator Alan Cumming here narrates Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's first-rate Yuletide whodunit "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle". Cumming adds his personal flair to the mystery classic and turns in an outstanding performance of the great detective Sherlock Holmes and his pal, Watson.

An unusual sequence of events in leads the legendary Sherlock Holmes to locate the precious jewel owned by the Countess of Morcar.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

4 wanted2 pay7 pay

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,719,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible