The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle by…

The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle (1892)

by Arthur Conan Doyle

121None99,115 (3.59)12

A little Christmas story free from audible. A little grace handed out by Sherlock to one unfortunate man and a would be crook. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |
This was a free audiobook from Audible for the holiday season, and the fact that Alan Cumming was the narrator is the only reason I downloaded it. I am not a huge fan of the Sherlock Holmes canon, but I adore Alan Cumming and thought he would be an excellent test to see how deep my dislike of Holmes runs. Even with Mr. Cumming’s wonderful performance - always energetic and delightful - Sherlock Holmes is not for me. Everything others love about him – his curiosity, his bombast, his superiority complex - do nothing to make him a fascinating character for me, and I felt all three negative character attributes were on full display in this particular adventure. The mystery of the Blue Carbuncle is interesting if only because the strange events that oblige Holmes to get involved are so unusual and widely circumstantial. Because it takes less than an hour to listen to the entire mystery, it was not a complete waste of time, and Holmes’ fans will enjoy Mr. Cummings’ enthusiastic performance. For me, it was a good test that the Sherlock Holmes stories are ones I would do well to avoid.
  jmchshannon | Feb 24, 2013 |
Not normally a Sherlock Holmes fan but the audio production was great and I really enjoyed the use of language. ( )
  Iudita | Dec 17, 2012 |
Nice, short listen. Sherlock Holmes whodunit with some Christmas cheer! ( )
  buffalogr | Dec 12, 2012 |
James Alexander narrates these one story wonders. I enjoyed the reading very much. This makes a great Christmas story, but always makes me want to eat goose for dinner. ( )
  MrsLee | Jan 5, 2011 |

Two-time Emmy Award nominee (The Good Wife) and Audie Award winner for best narrator Alan Cumming here narrates Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's first-rate Yuletide whodunit "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle". Cumming adds his personal flair to the mystery classic and turns in an outstanding performance of the great detective Sherlock Holmes and his pal, Watson.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

4 wanted2 pay7 pay

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,407,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible