A place beyond courage by Elizabeth Chadwick

A place beyond courage (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Elizabeth Chadwick

Series: Marshals (1)

188None62,642 (3.99)27
Member:countrylife
Title:A place beyond courage
Authors:Elizabeth Chadwick
Info:London : Sphere, 2007.

A Place Beyond Courage by Elizabeth Chadwick (2007)

I wasn't really familiar with John FitzGilber (father of William Marshal) before I read yhis book so it was interesting. I think the first part of book was little boring, mainly because I didn't like Aline. But after John married Sybilla the book kept getting better. Hence the 3 stars... ( )
1 vote Elysianfield | Mar 30, 2013 |
I must say I was quite disappointed in this book, it was more of a romance with a bit of history thrown in. The Blurb on the back promised so much but the book failed to deliver. The title would make think that this was a book of pace and adventure, believe me it wasn't. If you enjoy romantic wishy washy females and strong manly men you may like it! Sadly I am not so keen! ( )
  Glorybe1 | Mar 29, 2013 |
22. Pearl Ruled

Rating: 2* of five (p108)

The Book Description: The early twelfth century is a time for ambitious men to prosper, and royal servant John FitzGilbert is one of them. But when the old king dies and his successor is appointed, John faces a terrible choice: he must join the rival faction-his enemies- or risk losing everything. His new wife helps him carry his burden, but his final choice will seal not only her fate, but those of his young children.

As the fight for England's crown enters a new phase, John may be forced to make a terrible sacrifice...

My Review: I know you're all familiar with the Mary Rose, Henry VIII's sunken battleship, and the mystery surrounding her loss in the Battle of the Solent in 1545. That's the kind of audience I attract, all five of y'all.

So when I say “I foundered like the Mary Rose,” I know y'all will instantly picture a mighty carrack, gunports hazed in smoke, bravely firing upon the hated French Navy's galleys, when suddenly the vast edifice heels to starboard, takes on water, and vanishes beneath the waves.

Aline laid her cheek against his breast and struggled not to weep. He had said he wanted her to be steadfast. “Thank you, my lord, thank you.”

Above her, she heard him sigh. He tilted up her chin, kissed her damp cheek, then sought a fresh tunic. She saw him note the jumbled state of the coffer contents, but he said nothing. Aline dug her fingernails into the palms of her hands, and swore to try harder. (p108, US softcover edition)

The mighty ship of my pleasure in history, and in historical fiction, sank beneath the waves of the River Lethe, as all memory of consciousness and its cares and woes leaked from my snoring, drooling mouth. ( )
  richardderus | Nov 18, 2012 |
A PLACE BEYOND COURAGE by Elizabeth Chadwick is an heart-wretching historical fiction set in 1130. “Based on the true story of John FitzGilbert, marshal to three kings and one empress.” What a gripping tale of honor,pride,betrayal,courage,loyalty,and sacrifice. Written with vivid descriptions and characters that will captivate,and hold your heart. *You will need tissues for this one,especially toward the end of the story*. Ms. Chadwick has written a story that is gut-wretching as will as thrilling,fast paced with twists and turns. It will take you back to a Medieval era. FitzGilbert had not only honor and courage but a steadfast duty to king and country at all cost. What an amazing man! I don’t believe I could have done what he did,but you must read this story to find more about what sacrifice he chose to make for his king,and country. “A Place Beyond Courage” will captivate any reader who enjoys not only historical fiction but who also enjoys historical romance,Medieval era,and a visit with men of honor. A must read! Received for an honest review from the publisher. Details can be found at the author’s website,Sourcebooks Landmark,and My Book Addiction and More.

RATING: 4

HEAT RATING: MILD

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, My Book Addiction and More/My Book Addiction Reviews ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Nov 4, 2012 |
I have been a fan of Ms. Chadwick's books for a long while now and jumped at the chance to read this newest release. In A Place Beyond Courage the reader meets John FitzGilbert, the father of The Greatest Knight, William Marshal. As Marshal to Henry I, John is in charge of many things including the palace whores. He is a man of fierce temperament and determined to better himself. He marries a young woman named Aline whose guardianship he owns but she is meek and unsuited to his life as a warrior. She does give him two sons but as the political climate changes with the death of the King and the ensuing civil war as both Stephan and Matilda fight for the throne John sets her aside to make a more advantageous marriage to Sybilla of Salisbury who is a much better match.

As the war escalates John changes allegiance from Stephen to Matilda and struggles to hold on to the gains he has made - and to his family.

There is no-one like Elizabeth Chadwick for drawing you into a world and making it seem so very real. I come out of her books as if from a dream. Her writing style gives details so smoothly you don't realize that you are being immersed into her characters lives. This one started a little slowly but once Henry I died it picked up and I found myself clicking my nook as fast as I could to get it read. I don't think I would have liked this man and I suspect that in reality he was far more hard than she has portrayed him. But we readers want a romantic leading man and that is what we have here.

The time period is a fascinating one and it is portrayed in very human and basic terms in the novel. This is truly Ms. Chadwick's forte; taking big swaths of medieval history and reducing it to the personal level. She lets her reader get a feel for what the life would have been like - whether through descriptions of food, clothing or even the smell of a washerwoman - it all brings the period to vivid life for the person lucky enough to be reading the book. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Aug 26, 2012 |

The novel centers around John FitzGilbert the Marshal, otherwise John Marshal (c. 1105 – 1165). He was involved in the English civil war between Mathilda (or Maud) and Stephen. He had two wives, Aline and Sybilla, and by the latter was the father of the more famous William Marshal.

The early 12th century is a time for ambitious men to prosper, and royal servant John FitzGilbert is one of them. Raised high, as the kin of the deceased King Henry battle each other for England's throne, John reaps rich rewards but pays a terrible price for the choices he makes - as do his family.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,401,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible