Coming on Home Soon (Caldecott Honor Book)…

Coming on Home Soon (Caldecott Honor Book) (edition 2004)

by Jacqueline Woodson, E. B. Lewis (Illustrator)

Member:brankacheek
Title:Coming on Home Soon (Caldecott Honor Book)
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Other authors:E. B. Lewis (Illustrator)
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2004), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:historical fiction, Caldecott, war

Coming On Home Soon by Jacqueline Woodson

In my opinion this is a great book that can help children relate to times during World War II. For example, this book uses the mother as a flat character to help the readers understand how the daughter Ada must feel when the mother leaves the home to go to work in Chicago, since all of the men are fighting in the war. The character of Ada is well developed and believable as she misses her mother and waits for her to return home. This story will help readers connect to personal experiences in life such as, if they have a family member in the military who they wait for to come home. Also this book helps readers relate their emotions to the character’s emotions in the story by providing organized and descriptive writing. Additionally, the book pushes the readers to think about the setting of the story and how it takes place during the war. This setting allows the readers to understand what times were like during the war and how the people who lived during the war must have felt as their loved ones left them. Furthermore, the illustrations of the text convey warmth and love to show the emotions of the characters the author is trying to portray in the book. The main message of this story is that sometimes we have to do things away from those we love in order to provide for the things that we need, but we will always have support from those who love us. ( )
  tpasch1 | Oct 1, 2018 |
Coming On Home Soon is a pretty good book. I like how E.B. Lewis uses the snow to make it look like the mailman passing their house. I had to do a double take to notice that there was a person there and it wasn't just snow. Family is a huge theme in this book; you can also see that with the kitten they find. After they find the kitten when the mom leaves, the kitten is with them in every page like she's apart of the family. ( )
  nomerbasic | Sep 27, 2018 |
This story is about a child’s feelings of her mother who abandons her at a young age because of war. This is a story that describes the harsh realities of the time during the world war II. Ada Ruth’s deep feelings and constant yearning for her mom is very sensitive. The setting highlights a picture of a snowy morning somewhere in Chicago.
  rpal1234 | Sep 24, 2018 |
This book is about a Mom who is looking for a job and she had found a place that is hiring colored people. So meanwhile Mom goes to work, her daughter Ada Ruth and Grandma spend a lot of quality time together, while Mom takes care of business in Chicago to start making some income to help them live a little more easy and without any worries.

I really enjoyed reading this book and it was indeed a very touching book and heart whelming. I would love to have a similar book like this for my age group. But I had older children for a class, I would definitely use this book in my lesson plans. ( )
  MsYvette83 | Sep 22, 2018 |
"Coming on Home Soon" by Jacqueline Woodson dictates the emotions a young girl experiences when her mother leaves to work during the war. The young girl experiences great loss during that time when they have little to eat and news or many soldiers who would not be coming home make their way to her home. The theme of this book tend to lean more towards loss and hope. The hope that her mama would come home soon and the loss of having her leave in the first place. ( )
  india_paige | Sep 13, 2018 |

Jacqueline Woodsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lewis, E. B.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Ada Ruth's mama must go away to Chicago to work, leaving Ada Ruth and Grandma behind. It's war time, and women are needed to fill the men's jobs. As winter sets in, Ada Ruth and her grandma keep up their daily routine, missing Mama all the time. They find strength in each other, and a stray kitten even arrives one day to keep them company, but nothing can fill the hole Mama left. Every day they wait, watching for the letter that says Mama will be coming on home soon. Set during World War II, Coming On Home Soon has a timeless quality that will appeal to all who wait and hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

After Mama takes a job in Chicago during World War II, Ada Ruth stays with Grandma but misses her mother who loves her more than rain and snow.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,574,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible