Counting on Frank by Rod Clement

Counting on Frank (1990)

by Rod Clement

If You Hopped Like A Frog (If You.) by David Schwartz (ASKier)
    ASKier: COUNTING ON FRANK does not include justification for comparative statements (which are not always mathematically correct), Schwartz's work includes assumptions and "solutions" at the back of the book.

Summary:
This is a great informational book. The boys dad says, "you have a brain. Use it." So he does. He starts calculating a ball point pen and ten how dogs can fit in his room and if his dog Frank were a hump back whale only ten would fit in his room. He comes up with all these fun cool facts about everything. In the end it has fun questions to answer.

Personal Reaction:
I really like this book. It has a lot of great informational facts in it. You could teach a class that not everything you have to learn is boring.

Classroom Extensions:
1. Read while teaching on informational books.
2. Have the students come up with 3 fun informational facts
  olivialawson | Apr 12, 2014 |
Summary:
A little boy loves facts and counting. His dad always tells him, " You have a brain, use it!" He gets out his notebook and his pen and just starts writing and figuring facts. Such as, how much ink is in an average ball point pen? Whenever he gets the notion to start figuring out facts, he always has his right hand man, or in this case, dog, who's name is Frank. He and Frank work on solving all the figuring and fact problems, like how many Franks would fit in his bedroom or if he knocked 15 peas off his plate at dinnertime, how long until the peas reached the table.

Personal Reaction:
I liked this book. I thought it provided facts and figures in a fun, engaging way for children. I also liked how the text and illustrations went well together. Students would love this book, and be challenged to maybe find some facts and figures on their own.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. The back of the book provides some different facts and figures for you already ( to get the answers you have to hold the book up to a mirror to be able to read them), but you could challenge your students to come up with one of their own.
2. Go on a scavenger hunt in the classroom and work out your own facts and figures, like how many red blocks would it take to build a castle.....
3. have your students make their own fact journal for a week and see what all they come up with.
  ElizabethNagel | Nov 14, 2013 |
This book is about a kid named frank who thinks about everything in large terms. He multiplies everything to figure how many of one thing it would take to fill another, even calculates how many peas it would take to fill a room.

This is a really cute book and would be great for teaching children number sense. He uses a lot of extremely larger numbers that would really make kids think.

1. I would bring a jar full of jelly beans and a contest of guessing how many are in the jar.

2. We could make cut outs of all the children’s outlines then see if they wrap around the class room.
  MisMary | Apr 21, 2013 |
Counting on Frank by Rod Clement is a great book. I love all of its humor and how the boy in the story loves to count everything. This book is wonderful to read to students that are just starting to learn math and getting interested in mathematical concepts. This also might help students want to start counting things. You can also have many activities with this book like getting a tub of blocks and asking your students to predict how many blocks are in the tub. Teachers can also produce a jar of jelly beans and have students guess how many jellybeans are in the jar. Whoever predicts the correct number wins. I would defiantly recommend this book to teachers whose students are first learning how to count and estimate quantities. I will defiantly read this book to my students because I think it is a funny book, and also a great book that has allot of math facts. There were even some facts that I did not even know myself. These facts could be helpful to students in the real world. ( )
  gjchauvin504 | Aug 27, 2012 |
This book is always a hit with my students. This is a book to read early in the school year. It pairs nicely with “Math Curse” both show that math is everywhere. The boy who narrates the story is either a measuring maniac or a “fool for figuring”. The illustrations are large and colorful. The narrator’s large dog, Frank, is featured on every page and many of the math problems are about him. Frank wears sunglasses but is otherwise not anthropomorphized. The narrator’s parents don’t discourage his math mania but are not especially supportive. They have a funny answer to most of his math facts. I do like the father’s tag line, “You have a brain use it.” The text is simple and there are more math problems and solutions in the back of the book. Students can solve and illustrate the extra problems or even create their own. ( )
  rwilliamson | May 7, 2012 |

this is a hilarious book about a boy who looks at the world through a mathematicians perspective. Frank asks questions about everything he sees and how it relates to math. Kid's love this book!
A boy and his dog present amusing counting, size comparison, and mathematical facts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible