Sexual Politics: A Surprising Examination of…

Sexual Politics: A Surprising Examination of Society's Most Arbitrary… (1970)

by Kate Millett

An eyeopener. Moving, so scanning in some books. My favorite ones. After reading this, I swore off Mailer and H. Miller forever. Met Kate later, when she was making art in a studio in the East Village. My idea of an artistic rebel. ( )
  deckla | Apr 5, 2016 |
**Highly Recommended**

"Written by radical feminist and Lesbian, the book gives a women's liberationist view of the sexual-political system."

Portland Gay Liberation, "The New Gay Library," 1972 (Portland, Oregon) ( )
  TheNewGayLibrary1972 | Jan 4, 2016 |
My favorite Tara Mills so far! Inspired by the secret life of a politician's wife, Ms. Mills weaves a memorable story full of intelligent wit and sexy sizzle. Justine Hubbard knows her marriage to an up and coming politician Gary is a sham, but she plays the game until meeting photographer Sean o'Donnell. Sean recognizes the deep loneliness in Justine because it is an emotion he knows well. The interplay between the two is so fun and sophisticated. The scene at the museum crackles with vitality and I laughed alongside the characters, even as my heart broke knowing their conundrum. A highly recommended read. ( )
  LolaKarns | Jul 6, 2015 |
  LolaKarns | Jul 6, 2015 |
In the late 1970s, in New york City, Kate was a friend, although for a short period because I moved away and lost contact. She was a fascinating person, incredibly astute and aware of women struggles. I am a man, and I thoroughly enjoyed her company, never felt that the women's lib movement was against people like me. When I was in need of shelter, she provided me with one and I still regret to this day not having been able to say thank you in a very meaningful way.
A sad note to her writing is that in 2015, women are still struggling in many parts of the world and also in the US, at the mercy of retard right wing politicians who seem to be incapable of recognizing their fears of the other sex, with their miserable antediluvian concepts. The worst is, that they are the ones condemning the way other societies are treating women without realizing that they are as bad if not worst, because of their hypocritical diatribes.
A book that every members of congress should read and learn by heart. ( )
1 vote jjrenoux | Jun 24, 2015 |

Kate Millettprimary authorall editionscalculated
MacKinnon, Catharine A.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mead, RebeccaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is only when women start to organize in large numbers that we become a political force, and begin to move towards the possibility of a truly democratic society in which every human being can be brave, responsible, thinking and diligent in the struggle to live at once freely and unselfishly.

— Sheila Rowbotham

Women, Resistance and Revolution
For Fumio Yoshimura
Preface
Before the reader is shunted through the relatively uncharted, often even hypothetical territory which lies before him it is perhaps only fair he be equipped with some general notion of the terrain.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0252068890, Paperback)

"Praised and denounced when it was first published in 1970, "Sexual Politics" not only explored history but also became part of it. Kate Millett's groundbreaking book fueled feminism's second wave, giving voice to the anger of a generation while documenting the inequities - neatly packaged in revered works of literature and art - of a complacent and unrepentant society. "Sexual Politics" laid the foundation for subsequent feminist scholarship by showing how cultural discourse reflects a systematized subjugation and exploitation of women. Identifying patriarchy as a socially conditioned belief system masquerading as nature, Millett demonstrates in detail how its attitudes and systems penetrate literature, philosophy, psychology, and politics. Her incendiary work rocked the foundations of the literary canon by castigating time-honored classics - from D. H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's "Lover" to Norman Mailer's "The Naked and the Dead" - for their use of sex to degrade and undermine women. A new introduction to this edition draws attention to some of the forms patriarchy has taken recently in consolidating its oppressive and dangerous control."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:48 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,990,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible