She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom of…

She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom of Cassie Bernall (edition 2000)

by Misty Bernall

Member:wisewoman
Title:She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom of Cassie Bernall
Authors:Misty Bernall
Info:Pocket (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:My Library
Tags:Biography/Autobiography

She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom of Cassie Bernall by Misty Bernall

This was a very good book. Misty wrote about a difficult time in her family's life. We all think as parents that we are doing what we need to do and that our children our fine. None of us can imagine that what Cassie went through could happen to our kids. Too often we are like Cassie's friend's mother who thought that Misty was going overboard. I commend Misty for making Cassie a real person, someone who could have gone in another direction if not for her parents love and involvement. This is a cry in the night that we as parents must be parents, not just best-friends to our children.
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
I think, with this one, it's important to keep in mind that it was written very shortly after the shooting at Columbine. It takes a while for the dust to settle, for the real story to get sorted out. After a while, it was determined that the exchange that inspired the title for the book never took place. A similar exchange occurred between one of the shooters and another victim (who survived) and the boy who reported hearing the conversation between Cassie and the shooter must have mistakenly thought it was Cassie. There is also a thing or two she says about grief that i feel she might not have said had she waited until she'd begun to heal. It just seemed like therapeutic writing to me and that it would have been better had she written this, waited a few months/years/whatever she needed and then revisited it, revised it, and published it.

But all that aside, i did find it interesting and i enjoyed reading it.

(Review written August 25, 2014.) ( )
  danaenicole | Oct 30, 2016 |
There is much controversy in many of the books regarding the shootings at Columbine as to whether there is truth to them or not. From this one to the most popular book written by Mr. Cullen...there is going to be untruths in them. No one really knows what happened in that school except the people that were there and it is not uncommon for memories to become tainted, both as time goes on and right after the initial event as being in shock can distort memories. So I basically take with a grain of salt what I read about the topic. What I found interesting in this book, however, was Cassie's background. I was not aware of the troubles she had with alcohol, drugs and the occult. I was under the impression that she was just another popular girl that was murdered on this day. What a testimony to the ignorance we all have towards tragedies. I do realize that some of the points in this book were falsified, maybe not on purpose, but because all the info had not been exposed at that point. However, I do not think that the author of the book would have any reason to falsify Cassie's struggles before that horrific event occurred. I actually found this book NOT on purpose. My daughter had read it years ago, probably for school, and left it in my Jeep. I moved it from the Jeep to the bookshelf, and there it sat for ten years. In cleaning through the bookshelf, I found the book, forgetting that I put it there. So, before giving it away, I took the short time to read it, and am very glad that I did. I would not call it great, but it forced me to form a different opinion about Cassie. ( )
  elleayess | Mar 13, 2015 |
The event in the title didn't happen, according to Dave Cullen's research. Not a bad book otherwise, but definitely perpetuates the terrible stereotyping and general fear state that permeated the time about things like Marilyn Manson. ( )
  earthforms | Feb 2, 2014 |
I've read this book several times. My grandma's library had a copy that I read at VBS in jr high. I also read again in high school. It is a really good book. I'm not religious but it had a profound affect on me ( )
  nicdar111 | Jun 19, 2013 |

Misty Bernallprimary authorall editionscalculated
l'Engle, MadeleineForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Michael W.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my daughter Cassie, the little girl who brought joy to my heart, and the brave young woman whose life has touched an entire nation;

To the twelve others who perished with her at the hands of two troubled classmates at Columbine High on April 20, 1999: Steven Curnow, Corey DePooter, Kelly Fleming, Matthew Kechter, Daniel Mauser, Daniel Rohrbough, David Sanders, Rachel Scott, Isaiah Shoels, John Tomlin, Lauren Townsend and Kyle Velasquez;

To the countless others who suffered physical and emotional injury on that day and are still haunted by the trauma;

And finally, to my husband, Brad, and our son, Chris, who I cherish more than ever before.
April 20, 1999 forever changed me and my life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743400526, Mass Market Paperback)

In the aftermath of the Columbine High School tragedy, a story came out about Cassie Bernall, a young woman who allegedly professed her belief in God in the moments before she was shot dead. Hailed a modern-day martyr by Christian groups and the media, detectives revealed months later that she may never have had such an exchange with her killer. Bernall's parents responded to the news with a statement:

"Our intent was to share Cassie's story in an effort to encourage parents and teenagers. If any of our actions have hurt or offended anyone, we sincerely apologize."

In She Said Yes, a moving memoir written by Cassie's mother, Misty Bernall, we meet the real Cassie, a typical adolescent who struggles with peer pressure and her relationship with her parents. Once headed down the common teenage path of self-loathing and depression, Cassie turned her life around through her faith and the support of a group of people who helped her find peace and purpose--her youth group at church. Though Cassie was far from the perfect child, She Said Yes tells the story of how Cassie's faith gave her the strength to overcome the obstacles she faced in her young life. Regardless of what happened at Columbine, She Said Yes is a moving tribute to an extraordinary young woman and a lesson for both parents and teenagers alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:04 -0400)

Story of Columbine High School student Cassie Bernall.

Plough Publishing House

8 editions of this book were published by Plough Publishing House.

Editions: 0743400526, 0874869870, 0874869226, 0849916453, 3765516457, 1567404928, 0874869145, 0002000458

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,192,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible