Eating Fractions by Bruce Mcmillan

Eating Fractions (edition 1991)

by Bruce Mcmillan

Member:brankacheek
Title:Eating Fractions
Authors:Bruce Mcmillan
Info:Scholastic Press (1991), Edition: Library Binding, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:nonfiction, math, fractions, food

Eating Fractions by Bruce McMillan

This book shows how fractions can be made by using food. The types of fractions in this book are whole, half, thirds, and fourths. This is a good book to show students when learning about how to distinguish their fractions. ( )
  jjuneau | Nov 25, 2017 |
This book is to teach fractions. You can start with a whole, then cut it. When you cut it, the pieces get smaller. It's a great way to show fractions. ( )
  kmparnell | Nov 8, 2017 |
" Eating Fractions" is a book that gets straight to the point when it comes to fractions. Each page is a new item, and it shows how that one item can be split between certain people. For example, they have a banana, and then they show the banana split so you have two equal halves. The book also includes other foods like pizza and muffins. I think this book shows different types of fractions and uses visuals well to show equal parts.

I think the book could have included more children though when looking at splitting the food items. Their were two boys, and they showed a muffin being split into three equal halves. I think by including another person, it could have shown the equal parts better if each person got one half. The illustrations in the book were photographs. Overall I think this book is straight to the point, and could be a good interactive book to read with kids. ( )
  ShelbyNicks | Nov 8, 2017 |
"Eating Fractions," is a math-related children's picture book that addressed fractions in a way that is easy for young children to understand. The book addresses whole, half, third and fourth fractions. In addition, the illustrations in the book uses kid-friendly foods as a representation for the fraction. After reading this book, I have concluded that it meets all the criteria for evaluating math-related children's books. The meaning is to teach children about fractions. The natural connection to mathematics is presented with food in order for children to easily understand. After reading this book, children will be better knowledgable about fractions, giving them the opportunity to identify fractions for authentic purposes. This book presents an expository logical structure, with intentions to covey information regarding fractions to young readers. It is simple and easily understood. Along with my evaluation of the book, I noticed that the illustrator designed pictures with two children of different color, which represents non-racism. Although I do believe overall the book is a good math-related book for young children, I would like to suggest a few minor changes. First, I believe the illustrations should have contained both male and female children to show non-bias illustrations. In addition, I believe the illustration should have used the same number of children as the fraction represented. For example, when the pie was cut into three pieces to equal 1/3, three children should have been displayed. ( )
  baucoin | Nov 7, 2017 |
This was pretty much a picture book of foods being cut into fractions. It had a picture of a banana cut into halves, a picture of a pizza being cut into fourths. It made natural connections to math using food. I enjoyed it, I would use this book to a second grade class after teaching them about fractions. ( )
  jherrera | Nov 7, 2017 |

Food is cut into halves, quarters, and thirds to illustrate how parts make a whole. Simple recipes included.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,581,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible