One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

One Foot in the Grave

by Jeaniene Frost

Series: Night Huntress (2), Night Huntress Universe (2)

English (108)  Italian (1)  All (109)
Took me a while to finish this. Damn you work and house renovations....braking into my reading time! But I loved this! I love the fact that Cat has turned into this serious, hardcore, military type and still keeps her awesome, sarcastic sense of humor...And OMG....Chapter 32....that's all I have to say about that, lol. Can't wait to start the next one :) ( )
  beautyandtheblog | Feb 13, 2017 |
27/2014 ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
One Foot in the Grave
4 Stars

Four years have passed since Halfway to the Grave and Cat is still doing her vampire slayer thing only now she works for the government. While she is dedicated to her job and her team, she has never gotten over the love of her life, Bones, and when the opportunity arises to show mercy to his maker, Cat makes a life altering decision. This sets off a chain of events that puts her loyalties to the test and may even result in the loss of her freedom.

The plot is exciting and action packed with new information on the structure of the vampire world and some compelling twists and turns in Cat's personal life. Unfortunately, the romance is somewhat of a letdown as I was expecting more for Cat and Bones's reunion considering the way she left him and the build up in the first few chapters. The way it plays out is far too easy and oversimplified with anger, angst and hurt feelings glossed over very quickly.

Another irritating element is the fact that virtually every man in the book, with or without a pulse, has the hots for Cat. Don't get me wrong, Cat is a very likable kick-ass heroine but she's not ALL that! As for the infamous chapter 32, maybe my expectations were too high. Yes, it is exceedingly steamy with some very original positions but it lacks the intensity of emotion that characterizes a truly excellent love scene (see Kate and Curran in Magic Strikes and Magic Bleeds for references).

In terms of the supporting cast, Frost is particularly skilled at incorporating each and every secondary character, both major and minor, into the story without making them seem superfluous. From Cat's enigmatic boss and loyal teammates (Juan is a definite favorite) to her obnoxious mother (someone should slap that woman), not to mention Bones's mates in the vampire world (Mencheres and Ian have definite potential), each and every one contributes to the overall Night Huntress world.

Overall, the solid world building, exciting story and engaging characters make this a worthwhile series and I look forward to getting to the next installment. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I just LOVE this series!!! Cat is a great strong female character! Bones is well....sigh.....I am addicted to this series!!!!!! ( )
  MzKitty | Sep 18, 2016 |
Bones and Cat reunite after four years of separation! That threw me. I thought it would be a few weeks maybe months at most, but she was completely off of Bones' radar. This book was so fast paced. EVERYTHING happened. Like not even kidding. I need to stew in the events for a while to process it all. ( )
  bookharpy | Jul 4, 2016 |

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gilbert, TaviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father. You are now, and will always be, my hero.
I waited outside the large, four-story home in Manhasset that was owned by a Mr. Liam Flannery.
Life's a bitch and then one stabs you.
I opened my mouth -- and had nothing to refute that with. Damn people who argued using logic. Talk about unfair. (pg 224)

Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is now Special Agent Cat Crawfield, working for the government to rid the world of the rogue undead. She's still using everything Bones, her sexy and dangerous ex, taught her, but when Cat is targeted for assassination, the only man who can help her is the vampire she left behind.

Being around Bones awakens all her emotions, from the adrenaline rush of slaying vamps side by side to the reckless passion that consumed them. But a price on her head - wanted: dead or half-alive - means her survival depends on teaming up with Bones. And no matter how hard Cat tries to keep things professional between them, she'll find that desire lasts forever ... and Bones won't let her get away again.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061245097, Mass Market Paperback)

You can run from the grave, but you can't hide . . .

Being around him awakens all her emotions, from the adrenaline kick of slaying vamps side by side to the reckless passion that consumed them. But a price on her head—wanted: dead or half-alive—means her survival depends on teaming up with Bones. And no matter how hard she tries to keep things professional between them, she'll find that desire lasts forever . . . and that Bones won't let her get away again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:29 -0400)

Now a Special Agent working to eliminate the rogue undead, half-vampire Cat Crawfield reluctantly teams up with Bones, her vampire former lover and mentor, when she is targeted for assassination by a dangerous adversary.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,376,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible