One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, Book…

One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 2) (edition 2008)

by Jeaniene Frost

Member:sidhevicious
Title:One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 2)
Authors:Jeaniene Frost
Info:Avon (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Keeper Shelf, Urban Fantasy, Vampire

One Foot In The Grave by Jeaniene Frost

English (106)  Italian (1)  All languages (107)
Bones and Cat reunite after four years of separation! That threw me. I thought it would be a few weeks maybe months at most, but she was completely off of Bones' radar. This book was so fast paced. EVERYTHING happened. Like not even kidding. I need to stew in the events for a while to process it all. ( )
  bookharpy | Jul 4, 2016 |
Much better than the first book. Bones is his own character and not just a Spike imitation. ( )
  elainemurphyirl | Jul 1, 2016 |

3.5 stars

“You know that old saying. Once you go dead, no one's better in bed.”

Even though the ending of the first enraged me, I could let the sequel sit unread for long, as I had to see if the author fixed it. She did, and early, and in great ways, so thank you.

The plot for this one is more intense and layered - it's not just too many pages of training and back and forth love interest, but instead has danger coming from different directions, in the internal circle as well as the outside. I tend to hate when authors jump forward in time for a sequel's sake, but in this case it worked well since we get to see Cat established in her new role and still yearning for her lost love.

Their reunion was hilarious, and probably the funniest part of this book. While humor worked sometimes here, it didn't hold a candle to the humor the first held. That's not an admonishment, though, since that was pretty much the only thing the first excelled at. Here it's still cute at times, especially that "cat fight" with another female, but quirky prose takes a back seat to story. There's still tight action scenes with twisted fighting, but it's not just endless actions sequences that drone on anymore.

The new crew...well, I had reservations since I wasn't in the mood for this plot change, this team, but they've proved themselves worthy of page time and my attention. They don't add a huge depth to the book but they blend in as part of a well-crafted background.

Bones is the star again as the bad-boy hero, although he didn't strike me as fully interesting as the first book. Maybe it's because of all the shifts, although I appreciate how protective he is over his girl and the relationship. Such a nice change from real life. Ian was intriguing and even if he was shown to be a bad type in the end, it was a ruthlessness they all share, so I'm kind of hoping he'll play a positive role in the future - but I doubt it, and I shall see when I dig into the third (which is on order now).

Cat was the bane of the book. I have to say she irritated me more this time around because, despite her growth and accepting who she is more, her tendency to jump into argumentative and insulting banter right off the bat only gets a heroine so far. She's downright ignorant and too rude in a few first encounters, to where I'd find her obnoxiously abrasive if I were in their shoes. Some of her traits are redeemable, so I'm still hoping she grows on me more later. Her bloodthirst fits the series and what she is, but I like more dimension in my characters.

Being a paranormal romance, there is of course sex, one scene in particular several pages and uber graphic as the two ramp up being experimental. Those who have read this will surely know the scene I mean.

I'm hoping the stories keep improving - this one was better than the first, so hopefully it keeps flourishing from here, getting better and better. Worth a read.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
One Foot in the Grave
4 Stars

Four years have passed since Halfway to the Grave and Cat is still doing her vampire slayer thing only now she works for the government. While she is dedicated to her job and her team, she has never gotten over the love of her life, Bones, and when the opportunity arises to show mercy to his maker, Cat makes a life altering decision. This sets off a chain of events that puts her loyalties to the test and may even result in the loss of her freedom.

The plot is exciting and action packed with new information on the structure of the vampire world and some compelling twists and turns in Cat's personal life. Unfortunately, the romance is somewhat of a letdown as I was expecting more for Cat and Bones's reunion considering the way she left him and the build up in the first few chapters. The way it plays out is far too easy and oversimplified with anger, angst and hurt feelings glossed over very quickly.

Another irritating element is the fact that virtually every man in the book, with or without a pulse, has the hots for Cat. Don't get me wrong, Cat is a very likable kick-ass heroine but she's not ALL that! As for the infamous chapter 32, maybe my expectations were too high. Yes, it is exceedingly steamy with some very original positions but it lacks the intensity of emotion that characterizes a truly excellent love scene (see Kate and Curran in Magic Strikes and Magic Bleeds for references).

In terms of the supporting cast, Frost is particularly skilled at incorporating each and every secondary character, both major and minor, into the story without making them seem superfluous. From Cat's enigmatic boss and loyal teammates (Juan is a definite favorite) to her obnoxious mother (someone should slap that woman), not to mention Bones's mates in the vampire world (Mencheres and Ian have definite potential), each and every one contributes to the overall Night Huntress world.

Overall, the solid world building, exciting story and engaging characters make this a worthwhile series and I look forward to getting to the next installment. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
A perfect sequel. I liked it even more than the first. I mainly liked this series because of Bones but Cat really stepped it up in this one. I really do like her character and I can't wait to read more. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father. You are now, and will always be, my hero.
I waited outside the large, four-story home in Manhasset that was owned by a Mr. Liam Flannery.
Life's a bitch and then one stabs you.
I opened my mouth -- and had nothing to refute that with. Damn people who argued using logic. Talk about unfair. (pg 224)

Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is now Special Agent Cat Crawfield, working for the government to rid the world of the rogue undead. She's still using everything Bones, her sexy and dangerous ex, taught her, but when Cat is targeted for assassination, the only man who can help her is the vampire she left behind.

Being around Bones awakens all her emotions, from the adrenaline rush of slaying vamps side by side to the reckless passion that consumed them. But a price on her head - wanted: dead or half-alive - means her survival depends on teaming up with Bones. And no matter how hard Cat tries to keep things professional between them, she'll find that desire lasts forever ... and Bones won't let her get away again.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061245097, Mass Market Paperback)

You can run from the grave, but you can't hide . . .

Being around him awakens all her emotions, from the adrenaline kick of slaying vamps side by side to the reckless passion that consumed them. But a price on her head—wanted: dead or half-alive—means her survival depends on teaming up with Bones. And no matter how hard she tries to keep things professional between them, she'll find that desire lasts forever . . . and that Bones won't let her get away again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:29 -0400)

Now a Special Agent working to eliminate the rogue undead, half-vampire Cat Crawfield reluctantly teams up with Bones, her vampire former lover and mentor, when she is targeted for assassination by a dangerous adversary.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,495,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible